Coldest April on record??

NormanW

Nope. It's very strange. However, it was a delightful evening sitting on a patio on Arunothai and Soi Yume.

Back home off Yume, it's warmer in my room (28C) than outside (26C). Thanks to my fancy outdoor/indoor electronic temp setup. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

I don't think it is a record breaker, but it's wonderful. The thermometer is showing 24.8C at 62% humidity as I'm typing this.

Don't worry though - temperatures will be back to normal by Tuesday.

Edit: I see 24C was the record low for this day in 2009. The forecast shows 23C as the low tonight. The average low is 26C.

Edited by tropo

I found this: http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Thailand/Pattaya/climate-profile.aspx

So if it drops one more degree, it will equal the coldest April temperature for 2 decades.

HISTORICAL MONTHLY AVERAGES FOR APRIL

The information presented below gives detailed historical monthly average weather conditions along with exceptional weather occurrences. To maintain relevance to current weather trends the displayed information has been calculated using data collected over the past two decades. The climate profile is taken from closest available data source to Pattaya.

Temperature

Throughout the month of April daytime temperatures will generally reach highs of around 33°C that's about 91°F. At night the average minimum temperature drops down to around 27°C, that's 81°F.

In recent times the highest recorded temperature in April has been 40°C that's 104°F, with the lowest recorded temperature 23°C, about 73°F.

Relative Humidity

The average daily relative humidity for April is around 75%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

AccuWeather says it's supposed to drop to 21C at about 0600 tomorrow morning.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/th/pattaya/317584/hourly-weather-forecast/317584

Even better! I did notice that April has the highest average minimums of the year in Pattaya and highest average maximums, so this is the hottest month of the year beating out May by a slim margin.

• Sad 1

Where were you? I had a wonderful cool season this past December/January. There was even a thread complaining about the cold temperatures. One night it dropped to 18C.

I was here. We did have a few cool days but I found the cool season this year to be much shorter and much warmer (on average) than in many previous years. Something to do with el Nino and/or la Nina. It was forecast months ago that this last winter would not be cool, and they were right.

13 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I was here. We did have a few cool days but I found the cool season this year to be much shorter and much warmer (on average) than in many previous years. Something to do with el Nino and/or la Nina. It was forecast months ago that this last winter would not be cool, and they were right.

I thought you may have been elsewhere because I found the last Dec/Jan period cooler than the previous couple of years. I know memories of this fades quickly in the heat so I went to the historical data. The average low for January 2018 was the lowest of the previous 3 years and the average low for December 2017 was the lowest for 4 years.

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Historical-Weather-Statistics.html

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

cold is horrible

Yeah, cold, but since when is 24C or 25C considered cold? It has actually heated up a degree in my room over the last couple of hours (now 25.4C) as the wind has died down, so you could be lucky to have a stinking hot day again tomorrow.

I thought you may have been elsewhere because I found the last Dec/Jan period cooler than the previous couple of years. I know memories of this fades quickly in the heat so I went to the historical data. The average low for January 2018 was the lowest of the previous 3 years and the average low for December 2017 was the lowest for 4 years.

I'll take your word for it but it certainly didnt feel cool to me. My electricity bill was slightly up on last year also. Chiang Mai was cool when I was there for a week.

March was already cooler , now yesterday 25 C in the afternoon , this morning 20 . Coolset April day here up North , awesome !

I put on the fan for some extra shilling , loving it .... and clean air to breathe , first time in 3 months.

• Like 1

It was 'taters here in Bangkok last night too, approaching 20C, brrr.

Madam recovered the duvet from the wardrobe, she had dispensed with it a couple of weeks back as being too hot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, banglay said:

06:20 hrs   8th April  Bang Saray  bloody freezin

92606.jpg

The lowest temperature I could record on Pratumnak Hill was 22.9C directly in the easterly wind, and in my bedroom 24.4C also at 6 am. That makes it a 2-decade low-temperature record for April.

It was a very pleasant and unexpected reprieve from the normally oppressive April heat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'll take your word for it but it certainly didnt feel cool to me. My electricity bill was slightly up on last year also. Chiang Mai was cool when I was there for a week.

I hardly used aircon at all in December/January, even in the gym.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 11:03 PM, KittenKong said:

It makes up for the cool season we didnt have.

What? We had a wonderful cool season this year. 3 different stretches from December to mid February with temps below 20.   

• Like 1