PM stresses importance of secondary cities to tourism growth

webfact

PM stresses importance of secondary cities to tourism growth

PNECO610408001000201.jpg

BANGKOK, 9th April 2018 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed tourism related agencies to promote destinations in 55 secondary cities. 

Government Spokesperson Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said today the prime minister has praised the period TV series “Love Destiny” for boosting tourism and triggering Thai citizens’ curiosity in their culture and history. Historic destinations have seen a huge influx of tourists, Thai and foreign, donning traditional costumes which resemble those worn in the Ayutthayan period. 

Building on this widespread sensation, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, the Ministry of Culture, and the Ministry of the Interior have been given the task of promoting cultural tourism in 55 secondary provinces by showcasing the uniqueness of each community. 

The prime minister has also urged local communities and local governments to collaborate by adopting the civil state approach to find their uniqueness and identity. In that way secondary provinces will start to compete with urban cities in terms of tourism and income generation.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-09
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

budget tourists come to take selfies and eat as much free seafood as humanly possible...then throw their trash on the ground...secondary cities could work...

Edited by mok199
speliing

My family and me, we recently visited the local museum, where we could see beautiful masonry and art, old pots and stuff, then we visited a local historical temple and saw the same stuff, only a lot more trashy and dirty.

10 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

When I take a look at the town where I live, I cant find anything unique about it, the footpaths are as bad and dangerous as all other Thai towns, the electric wiring looks like spagetti, the old townhouses from the 70's and 80's are as ugly as in any other town, the traffic is as bad and the police as corrupt as everywhere else. The food is not unique either and the so called tourist places in the area are all littered with trash and nobody seems to care at all regarding this problem.

The post I was going to write. Now don't get me wrong, I like living where I do but there is pretty much sod all of interest for the holidaymaker other than the bus / railway station and the airport for them to make use of to go elsewhere...

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Marvelous. After just realizing that mass tourism has trashed the places used so far we want to add many more to the list. Let's trash the last remaining quiet beaches.

Beaches?

There is much more as sand and the attached nonsense.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

How far back in the Thai culture should we go? back to 1767 when Ayutthaya was trashed by Burma and people wore wrapped sheets around their hips and was bare-chested?

Or 1680, when Ayutthaya was a hotbed of prostitution and brothels were legalised...

• Haha 1

Government speak for " are primary Cities are now full to capacity, and can no longer cope,  so let the secondary Cities take on the overflow of tourists "

A good idea, but the primary Cities have all been trashed due to lack of investment and corruption, so why trash more of the Country ?

Ahh - yes GREED

• Like 1

Most pollution comes from waterbottles, why not install free watertaps for drinkingwater at all touristic area's so they can refill their bottles for free? Or for 5 baht if that's the issue. In hotels they can drink from glass bottles.

Many places in Asia do not paint their houses, and even though it makes for

a drab look, it is a cost that some just cannot afford just like some countries

in Europe, and North and South America, India, Africa, and maybe even

some places in Australia. Although I have not been to most of these countries

so am only speculating..

Geezer

The independent , long stay tourists , who were most likely to visit ' secondary ' locations , have gone elsewhere. TAT welcomed the 4 day Chinese tour groups , now they must pay the price.

Parts of Bangkok are now tourist hell , same goes for Phuket and no doubt several other locations.

It will only get worse because tour groups with limited time want to see the 'highlights ' , not an expanse of wasteland from a dodgy motel in somewhere like Utaradit.

Dear Gen. PM Prayut, is that the Thailand that you like to promote to tourists and investors??? FYI: all the photos I took in Cha Am. In the last photo, you can see a traditional Thai house, one family is living there. Nice or not?

IMG_20180404_154317.jpg

IMG_20180404_154456.jpg

IMG_20180404_154617.jpg

IMG_20180404_154709.jpg

IMG_20180404_154932.jpg

IMG_20180404_155301.jpg

IMG_20180404_154235.jpg

Just a couple of months ago the unelected PM was stating that Bangkok should be the focal point of tourism.   Now he is changing his tune, and trying to ride on the success of some soap opera.   An opportunist he is, though a rather dull witted one. 

I find Isaan rather quaint and fun like Bangkok use to be.