Re-entry permit at Chiang Mai airport

PETDCAT

I know there is an office upstairs at Chiang Mai airport and I am wondering if it is possible to get a Re-entry permit a few days before my flight to avoid the trip to Promenada? Or does it have to be the day of flight? Thanks

You can only obtain your re-entry permit on the date of your flight at the airport as you need your boarding card to access the correct area of the airport

a couple of weeks ago I got a re-entry permit at Promenada at it took about 30 minutes

I browsed through the other dozen threads about the topic from the last couple of years :biggrin:

Seems possible if you have an international flight/go through immigration at CM airport.

Open until midnight.

Don't hold me responsible.

Edited by KhunBENQ

KhunBENQ do these dozen threads tell how one gets past the airport security and XRay barrier to get to the Immigration reentry desk on a day before your intended flight?... :coffee1:

To the OP... personally I would not sweat it and get it on the day of your flight... just give yourself some extra time and have the form completed before and have photo and funds to pay for it - And what ever you do DO NOT GO THRU IMMIGRATION before you get the reentry permit the desk is on the left before the immigration counter and only hard to miss by the totally blind...

4A1527A7-3641-43AB-8D4B-888D038CE8E2.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

27 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

KhunBENQ do these dozen threads tell how one gets past the airport security and XRay barrier to get to the Immigration reentry desk on a day before your intended flight?... :coffee1:

After post #2 I didn't think it was necessary to mention.

Of course only on the day of flight and after entering the international departure hall.

Similar as in Suvarnabhumi.

• Confused 1

Be sure to allow plenty of time ahead of your flight to get a re-entry permit at the airport.  This is the same desk that processes overstays and that procedure takes about 1/2 hour, so if you arrive just as they start to handle someone on overstay, you could have a wait.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. Since I live within walking distance of the airport I thought it might be convenient to take care of this before my flight on Friday. I have to fly to BKK for my international flight so it looks like getting stamped in Chiang Mai airport is not possible. If immigration was located in the arrival hall it would be so convenient but I have lived here long enough to know convenient isn't part of the plan. Again thanks everyone.

I went there 2 weeks ago. Checked in for my flight, had to go through the passport, luggage and security check. The immigration counter is directly the left. Walked over, no other customers, all done within 5 minutes, paid the 1000 baht. Still had 2 hours to wait for my flight and they let us go back to the other side again where we had some breakfast at Burger King.

Maybe just lucky, picked a good day.

12 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I went there 2 weeks ago. Checked in for my flight, had to go through the passport, luggage and security check. The immigration counter is directly the left. Walked over, no other customers, all done within 5 minutes, paid the 1000 baht. Still had 2 hours to wait for my flight and they let us go back to the other side again where we had some breakfast at Burger King.

Maybe just lucky, picked a good day.

Wow, you were lucky that they let you go back out to eat at the Burger King, especially since there are some food outlets in the "sterile" area after you've cleared Immigration.  What you did would be considered "re-entering" Thailand after you'd been stamped out.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Wow, you were lucky that they let you go back out to eat at the Burger King, especially since there are some food outlets in the "sterile" area after you've cleared Immigration.  What you did would be considered "re-entering" Thailand after you'd been stamped out.

Sounds like he never went through immigration itself but only went to the re-entry desk before going back out; if so, happy to know that's an option. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PETDCAT said:

I have to fly to BKK for my international flight so it looks like getting stamped in Chiang Mai airport is not possible. 

If you're flying the same airline (e.g., flying to Siem Reap from here thru either Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi),  you'll go through immigration (Edit: and go via the international part of the terminal) here in Chiangmai.  If you're flying an airline to Bangkok different than your international airline, then you'll go through domestic here and then you can get a re-entry permit at either airport in Bangkok on your way out.

Edited by CMBob

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

If you're flying the same airline (e.g., flying to Siem Reap from here thru either Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi),  you'll go through immigration (Edit: and go via the international part of the terminal) here in Chiangmai.  If you're flying an airline to Bangkok different than your international airline, then you'll go through domestic here and then you can get a re-entry permit at either airport in Bangkok on your way out.

Not always.  Many international airlines do code sharing with Bangkok Airlines and you do international check-in here in Chiang Mai.  

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

He never went through immigration, only the x ray check. There's nothing to stop one going back out, though one will have to be re x rayed etc when actually going through immigration.

Pity they don't have it before security check, as there is nothing that makes it essential to go through x ray before getting a re entry permit. Too easy I suppose.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He never went through immigration, only the x ray check. There's nothing to stop one going back out, though one will have to be re x rayed etc when actually going through immigration.

Pity they don't have it before security check, as there is nothing that makes it essential to go through x ray before getting a re entry permit. Too easy I suppose.

That`s exactly what happened. I actually arrived at the airport 3 hours early expecting a long wait to obtain my re-entry permit, but it was completed within minutes, after which had loads of time to spare. I asked the officer if it is OK to go back outside to grab a bite to eat. No problem I was told. They let me out but kept my passport at the immigration re-entry counter and when the time arrived had to go through the X-ray check again and given back my passport, then sailed through the whole process.

But as I said; maybe I was just lucky that day, being there during a non busy period.

Edited by cyberfarang
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

That`s exactly what happened. I actually arrived at the airport 3 hours early expecting a long wait to obtain my re-entry permit, but it was completed within minutes, after which had loads of time to spare. I asked the officer if it is OK to go back outside to grab a bite to eat. No problem I was told. They let me out but kept my passport at the immigration re-entry counter and when the time arrived had to go through the X-ray check again and given back my passport, then sailed through the whole process.

But as I said; maybe I was just lucky that day, being there during a non busy period.

OK, thanks for the explanation.  Makes sense now.  

^^^ If they say 1st floor I am assuming they mean the desk on the 1st floor between the domestic and international airline arrival areas?... They issued you a reentry permit?... If so were you leaving that day and had a boarding pass?... 

As a side note I always wondered what the purpose of that immigration counter was for?...

Edited by sfokevin

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

Okay, I'll bite.  Are you two talking about the same re-entry counter/desk that is pictured in the photograph posted by SfoKevin in this thread?  

same desk as pic .3.30 pm international departure. hope u enjoyed the bite

15 hours ago, sfokevin said:

^^^ If they say 1st floor I am assuming they mean the desk on the 1st floor between the domestic and international airline arrival areas?... They issued you a reentry permit?... If so were you leaving that day and had a boarding pass?... 

As a side note I always wondered what the purpose of that immigration counter was for?...

It's to the side of the x ray machine leading to international departure security check.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, evenstevens said:

last weds 2pm got my reentry stamp at the airport desk 1st floor within 5 mins.3 lady immgr officers behind the jump.delightful smiling service given. but e/s is very handsome .sure that helps

I think E/S is being misleading in referring to the desk that normally issues re-entry permits as being on the "1st floor".  Most people would consider that the 2nd floor. 

After all, if you get into the elevator (lift) that is by the small desk labeled "immigration" on the 1st (ground) floor and push the button labeled "2", you'll arrive at the floor where the proper desk is located for application of a re-entry permit.  No one seems to know what the personnel at the small immigration desk on the 1st (ground) floor seem to do.  I've asked them about issuing re-entry permits there in the past and been directed upstairs.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I think E/S is being misleading in referring to the desk that normally issues re-entry permits as being on the "1st floor".  Most people would consider that the 2nd floor. 

After all, if you get into the elevator (lift) that is by the small desk labeled "immigration" on the 1st (ground) floor and push the button labeled "2", you'll arrive at the floor where the proper desk is located for application of a re-entry permit.  No one seems to know what the personnel at the small immigration desk on the 1st (ground) floor seem to do.  I've asked them about issuing re-entry permits there in the past and been directed upstairs.

misleading uujhh????                               i went up the escalators to the first floor then through the luggage check etcetc the office is directly on your left where i got my reentry stamp after my luggage was checked .now nancy if you want to say i am misleading members  ..that is totally wrong !!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Its  a  British and therefore an Oz thing, there's the ground floor then the next

one up is the 1 st floor,next one 2nd and so on,you Americans have got it all

wrong:smile:

regards worgeordie

• Like 2