Sober Streets This Songkran? Don’t Count On It

webfact

Sober Streets This Songkran? Don’t Count On It

By Jintamas Saksornchai

IMG_8257.JPG-696x463.jpg  

A woman with a Doraemon water gun backpack sprays soldiers during 2017 Songkran celebrations on Khaosan Road.

BANGKOK — Despite talk of broader prohibitions on alcohol, the spirits of Songkran will mostly flow as usual this year, according to the police responsible for enforcing the measures.

While the authorities have promoted thousands of “safe zones” and measures to limit alcohol sales and consumption during the traditional new year holiday which runs Thursday through April 16, the chief of Bangkok’s metro police said Monday that nothing will be significantly different this year.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/04/09/sober-streets-this-songkran-dont-count-on-it/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-04-09

Khun Saksornchai should perhaps consider writing under the nom de plume Capt. Obvious. Much like a lack of democratic elections, coups and the oppression of the poor "nothing will be significantly different this year" or any year apparently. Let me break out my traditional dress and watch love destiny for a glimpse of the future.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

I'm ready for several days of unbridled hooliganism, with people being soaked whether they want to be or not, blocking major roads as water fights spill over etc. I'm staying home, except for a civilised family party where everyone treats everyone with respect and not a target.

By the way, on the related subject of drunk driving, a member of the family was pulled up on his bike and fined 5000 baht for drunk driving. Not 500. Maybe things are changing.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm ready for several days of unbridled hooliganism, with people being soaked whether they want to be or not, blocking major roads as water fights spill over etc. I'm staying home, except for a civilised family party where everyone treats everyone with respect and not a target.

By the way, on the related subject of drunk driving, a member of the family was pulled up on his bike and fined 5000 baht for drunk driving. Not 500. Maybe things are changing.

Fined 5000 Baht???? It should been 50.000 and banned for a very long time.

Love to be a fly on the wall to watch the childish drunken revelry play out in the senior military officer's messes across the nation. I hope they remember their own wise counsel......."NO groping allowed during Songkran".

I am now officially outing myself: I love the wild and wet Songkhran!

Hear me out!

1) I love it for one day!

The 13th!

I really enjoy the mayhem, the party, the beer...all of that!

I will have a few cold ones myself, start the party at 2pm on Silom and usually am back home by 8, slightly drunk and kind of exhausted!

2) After that, it is not my thing anymore!

I stay home, on the balcony or at the pool of the condo, with a book and relax!

3) If I have to leave the house -which I try to avoid at all costs- I am prepared to be soaked and I will not whine about it! It is, what it is and who am I to tell other (Thai) people, how to celebrate!

4) I wish everybody a Happy New Year, no matter how they care to celebrate- again: none of my business!

I do it my way, you do it yours!

5) Do I wish, police would do more control on drunk drivers, idiots on speeding motorbikes, no helmets, gropings or rapes...?

Hell yeah! 

Will it happen?

Nope!

But I don't blame the death toll on Songkhran per se!

I blame it on the non- enforcement of laws and rules!

End of!

Sawasdee pee mai!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or maybe the copper just got a good earn for Songkran.  Was a fine issued or was it just a cashie? Because if it was a proper DUI charge his bike would have been seized, they would put him in the bun wagon and he would have had to face court. You don't just drive away from a drink driving charge. If none of that happened then nothing's changed and your family member got rorted. 

Edited by starky