Dangers of Driving on Samui

On 11/04/2018 at 12:59 PM, GreasyFingers said:

I am not living in Samui anymore but still go there each year for holidays. I agree with this part of your OP because it would do more damage to me mentally if I killed someone on a bike while driving a car. At least on a bike we fell that we can avoid the accidents that should happen and we can look after ourselves. Like you I have had both licenses from the allowable age.

By the way I went to Samui for holidays for 5 years before I would ride a bike there. It takes time to learn the local driving habits.

Just now, superdome said:

I have been a Samui person for 30yrs now..& driving standards are getting worse...i find the older generation Thais the worse pull out with out looking/open doors without looking/park where they want..etc etc..they carry on as though it was 30yrs ago..in saying that Farangs are not much better either..Chinese/Russians/French are worst offenders...i have my own bike/car..there are certain times i NEVER go out on the bike..NEVER after dark..or between 4-30/6-30pm..when the thais are going home to get ready for 2nd job..have an accident involving a thai & police will side with the thai[even if you are 100% in the right..its happened to me]...Samui Thais seem to be a law to themselfs...i could go on & on..but i think you get the jist of what i am saying... 

As traffic gets more and more congested even the most reckless car and truck drivers pass less. This and the smoother roads are the only improvements. I do feel this leads to even more motorcyclists passing on the right in heavy traffic. There are also a lot more fast motorcycles as more Thais can afford them and there are more tourists to rent them. Not much change in the frequency of the terrifying sight of a 60 kg 12 year old winding a 90cc moped up to 80kph ??????????  

13 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Disagree.  Would undoubtedly result in safer conditions on the road, but I don't want Thailand to become another nanny state.  Let people do what they want.  If they crash, let them suffer the consequences.  If you are worried about them crashing into you, you can consider not driving motorbikes.

Who gets the bill?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your concerns are not unfounded, all you can do is ensure you are protected. 

1) Protected Physically: In a safe and well maintained 4 wheeled vehcile. 

2) Protected Financially: 1st Class Insurance / Including Bail Bond.

3) Protected Legally: Roal legal car, fully insured, Thai Driving Licence. 

4) Protected Legally: Dash-Cam (Front and rear-facing)

5) Protected Legally: Never drink-drive

By driving carefully and defensively, with the above 'protection' you will have taken care of most of the potential issues. 

In the event of an unavoidable accident which was not your fault, allow your insurance to deal with the issue. You will have dash-cam footage protecting your innocence. Do not accept blame for something you strongly believe you are not at fault. Its ok to disagree with the Police and see the issue pushed up to a higher level. For the most part, the Police are reasonable and police, they are usually just looking for the simplest and easiest resolution.

...and don't sign anything you cannot read!

17 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:
On 4/11/2018 at 2:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Is Samui worse than Pattaya? If so why? Personally i find riding in and around Pattaya fine. Farang are the worse riders, usually tourists with mickey mouse helmets

The southern islands have a lot more tourists with zero experience of riding bikes.  Samui also has no public transport options, which forces/encourages a lot of people into renting bikes.  Pattaya has the baht buses.

–and Samui has the Songthaews, same-same (as baht buses) but different...:wink:

7 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

The person at fault/their insurance company.  If they can't pay or don't have insurance then they go to jail.  Most of them will find the money before it comes to that.

It'll be decades before reality matches your wishful thinking.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Is Samui worse than Pattaya? If so why? Personally i find riding in and around Pattaya fine. Farang are the worse riders, usually tourists with mickey mouse helmets

22 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Who gives a flying <deleted> what you think, what an idiot, Pattaya is the pits and attracts the of scum of the earth.

Did you Read this?

A sadistic, filthy water-ice-and-powder throwing war, radiating from the bar areas, in which for 9 days drunken mobs of farang and Thai hooligans have legal license to cause maximum injury to whomever they encounter.

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Showed your true character with that stupid post

Maybe, my downfall is that I'm completely honest and my post was based on experience. You demonstrated your ignorance though, based on 'riding around Pattaya being fine' as opposed to my opinion and that of say thousands of TVF members and JSixpack  in the link above. As I said 'Who gives a flying <deleted> what you think, what an idiot'

On 4/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Disagree.  Would undoubtedly result in safer conditions on the road, but I don't want Thailand to become another nanny state.  Let people do what they want.  If they crash, let them suffer the consequences.  If you are worried about them crashing into you, you can consider not driving motorbikes.

Inexperienced riders are not only a danger to themselves, but also other road users and pedestrians and that is why they shouldn't be allowed to rent bikes.

Also I don't want them to crash into me whether I am in a car, on a bike or on foot.

1 hour ago, Mario666 said:
On 4/13/2018 at 2:09 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Inexperienced riders are not only a danger to themselves, but also other road users and pedestrians and that is why they shouldn't be allowed to rent bikes.

Also I don't want them to crash into me whether I am in a car, on a bike or on foot.

A number of posters have pointed out how they 'don't want Thailand to turn into a nanny-state' ....

But, regulation doesn't have to be 'over-regulation'....  it's simply enforcement of existing laws which would save lives. 

Some people think that riding or driving around without a licence and insurance, and ultimately without any culpability for their reckless actions is 'freedom'... but that idea of freedom is flawed, is not actually freedom, its lawlessness, why not let these same people run around with guns... 

A healthy balance needs to be applied... some cross too far over the line and all too readily place the lives of others at risk - Policing this is not 'nannying' is simply policing those who present a danger to others... (the Policing needs to be much better of course)..

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A number of posters have pointed out how they 'don't want Thailand to turn into a nanny-state' ....

But, regulation doesn't have to be 'over-regulation'....  it's simply enforcement of existing laws which would save lives. 

Some people think that riding or driving around without a licence and insurance, and ultimately without any culpability for their reckless actions is 'freedom'... but that idea of freedom is flawed, is not actually freedom, its lawlessness, why not let these same people run around with guns... 

A healthy balance needs to be applied... some cross too far over the line and all too readily place the lives of others at risk - Policing this is not 'nannying' is simply policing those who present a danger to others... (the Policing needs to be much better of course)..

Well said.:thumbsup:

Maybe, my downfall is that I'm completely honest and my post was based on experience. You demonstrated your ignorance though, based on 'riding around Pattaya being fine' as opposed to my opinion and that of say thousands of TVF members

Most people banging on about how bad and dangerous riding is in Pattaya don't ride, often never have so have little experience, just frightened rabbits really trying to pass their fears to everyone else

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most people banging on about how bad and dangerous riding is in Pattaya don't ride, often never have so have little experience, just frightened rabbits really trying to pass their fears to everyone else

In all the years that I rode a motorbike on Samui I never so much as skidded so you could well have a point. I flogged it several years ago and haven't ridden one since.

15 hours ago, Mario666 said:

For me it's more important that society remains free to do whatever they want to do.  There are many options for the people who are used to and prefer to live in nanny states.

4 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

For me it's more important that society remains free to do whatever they want to do.  There are many options for the people who are used to and prefer to live in nanny states.

Anarchy rules YO!.....I am no "Goody Two Shoes"...always in trouble at school, had more than a few "Run-ins" with the law in different countries over the years and always bend the rules, but never been a major villain....I am from the UK and hate their "Nanny State" mentality and enjoy the liberal law enforcement (or should I say lack of), but from a purely logical perspective when it comes to idiots who have never ridden a bike before, have no ideas how bad the driving is on Samui (and Thailand generally) it would probably be better for all concerned if they refrained ???

Get my Drift?

BTW which "Nanny State" did you escape from to come and live in LOS? :stoner:Love your sentiment, but question your judgement! :smile:

UK as well.

Yes it would be better for everybody if you think in a pragmatic way and your analysis of situations is based on logic, but I'm looking at it in a more of ideological way.

I think you have to let people live their lives.  With a couple of exceptions - drugs and les majeste/other defamation laws - Thai people are truly free.

Just today I saw an accident after a guy had been doing wheelies outside Seacon Mall in BKK.  He was probably drunk.  I think that wasn't very smart, but I fully support his right to do wheelies on a soaking wet 3-lane highway at 90kmph whilst drunk.  He is a fine example of a truly liberated person and I respect his country for allowing him that freedom.  Similar scenes are no doubt being repeated across the country right now as I type this.  And it's such a contrast to the UK where you would more than likely end up in prison, or at the very least heavily fined and banned from driving (and the ban enforced).

Perhaps in the islands it would be prudent to warn people of the risks before renting them a scooter, then if they want to go ahead and drive it, let them.

But don't tell them not to rent it when there is no public transport and your only other options are expensive taxis or walking.

Phuket has just introduced a new beach to beach bus service which also calls at the airport.  It's run by the same people who run the BTS in BKK.  If Phuket of all places can do it, so can Samui.

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I do ride, have done for quite a few years, have a full licence and find the roads in Pattaya dangerous and unsafe, just like most roads in Thailand but particularly on Samui (KPG & K Tao) and in Pattaya. 

So no, I'm no frightened rabbit, I've ridden around Europe many times and never encountered anything during those tours like the shameful behaviour and conditions that we see in Thailand.

Also this a Samui thread, a minor thing, maybe, but you do start your post with 'Most people banging on about how bad and dangerous riding is in Pattaya'

13 hours ago, evadgib said:

In all the years that I rode a motorbike on Samui I never so much as skidded so you could well have a point. I flogged it several years ago and haven't ridden one since.

You were lucky and it is no coincidence that you haven't ridden since, you will 'live long and prosper' as a result :wink:

11 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

UK as well.

Yes it would be better for everybody if you think in a pragmatic way and your analysis of situations is based on logic, but I'm looking at it in a more of ideological way.

I think you have to let people live their lives.  With a couple of exceptions - drugs and les majeste/other defamation laws - Thai people are truly free.

Just today I saw an accident after a guy had been doing wheelies outside Seacon Mall in BKK.  He was probably drunk.  I think that wasn't very smart, but I fully support his right to do wheelies on a soaking wet 3-lane highway at 90kmph whilst drunk.  He is a fine example of a truly liberated person and I respect his country for allowing him that freedom.  Similar scenes are no doubt being repeated across the country right now as I type this.  And it's such a contrast to the UK where you would more than likely end up in prison, or at the very least heavily fined and banned from driving (and the ban enforced).

Perhaps in the islands it would be prudent to warn people of the risks before renting them a scooter, then if they want to go ahead and drive it, let them.

But don't tell them not to rent it when there is no public transport and your only other options are expensive taxis or walking.

Phuket has just introduced a new beach to beach bus service which also calls at the airport.  It's run by the same people who run the BTS in BKK.  If Phuket of all places can do it, so can Samui.

I agree with you about lack of public transport on Samui, but no doubt the "taxi mafia" are influential in that.

However, the cost of taxis whilst a rip by Thailand prices are a fraction of the price you would pay in the UK or any other European country for a similar journey and are insignificant as part of a holiday expense.

You can get a motorbike taxi for peanuts (admittedly not my preferred mode of transport) if you want to save a few Baht.

However, you seem to be missing my point which is I don't care if some idiot gets on a motorbike, with no license, no experience, often drunk crashes and smashes himself and/or his is girlfriend up.

But what if he crashes into someone else causing death, injury or permanenet disabilty as a result? What if they hit you or your kid or one of your family?

Do you own a bike or a car and would you rent it out or lend it to someone with no licence, (thereby invalid insurance) who is on holiday and most likely to drive after a few scoops on extremely dangerous roads?

If your answer is yes than please do not reply....Hope you stay safe Dude! :smile:

13 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Just today I saw an accident after a guy had been doing wheelies outside Seacon Mall in BKK.  He was probably drunk.  I think that wasn't very smart, but I fully support his right to do wheelies on a soaking wet 3-lane highway at 90kmph whilst drunk.  He is a fine example of a truly liberated person and I respect his country for allowing him that freedom. 

Allegedly I'm an intelligent person, but still I'm struggling to understand, you're taking the piss right?

On 4/14/2018 at 5:10 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Your definition of better is solely based on how many people live and die...

Correct... exaggerated numbers of unnecessary deaths just so that people can be afforded the freedom to drive as dangerously as they wish seems a little excessive to me.

Phuket Vice Governor Prakob Wongmaneerung today (April 15) repeated the Phuket Governor's order to ensure car and motorbike rental operators were renting vehicles out only to people who are properly licensed to drive them.

Full article in today's news (16th April): "Phuket suffers first road death of Songkran holidays"

On 4/15/2018 at 10:44 AM, Mario666 said:

I agree with you about lack of public transport on Samui, but no doubt the "taxi mafia" are influential in that.

23 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Allegedly I'm an intelligent person, but still I'm struggling to understand, ..............

21 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Talking about Bangkok problems on the Samui forum. 

No.

Archived