Dangers of Driving on Samui

To whom it may concern.....I am very concerned :unsure:

I have been driving bikes since I was 14 (off road) in the UK and Cars since I was 18.

I passed my bike test a week after my 17th birthday and my car test 5 weeks after my 18th birthday....I am now 60 and so have some experience.

However, I have lived on Samui for 8 years and even when I am driving in my car just from Lamai to Chaweng (approximately 8K) I feel like I am about to have 3-4 accidents each way.

I drive very defensively, but the driving standards here are appalling from both Thais (in cars and on motorbikes) and Farangs (mostly on motorbikes, who have obviously never ridden a bike

before).

I wouldn't say I feel 'safer" on a motorbike, but I feel I am less likely to have an accident because it is easier to avoid the idiots (by taking evasive action) whilst driving my bike than driving my car.

Thais who pull out of side roads or make U-Turns without a glance to the the right or left (both in cars and on bikes) and idiotic farangs with their stupid "Toy" crash helmets (when they bother to wear

them) wobbling down the road and on jungle or mountain roads, often on the wrong side (Eurpopeans mostly) are a constant danger.

No one should be allowed to rent a bike without a "full" bike licence and most Thais should not be allowed to drive at all.

As regards Farangs who come here and get on a bike with Zero Experience, no licence and no insurance you deserve all you get!

I welcome your comments. :welcomeani::wai:

I have noticed a degradation in the level of driving in the last 15 years living here in Krabi. Brain-dead get-there-as-fast-as-i-can-me-me-me-me drivers and ZERO enforcement of traffic rules. 

Pure carnage. Just yesterday saw a minibus planted in the back of a big truck (tailgating) - how the driver survived i don't know but you can bet he won't learn!

Yes, you are right (except that a car is of course safer, the chance to have an accident might increase, but the outcome for yourself would be way better than on a bike)

Probably everybody here will agree with you, so not much to talk about here :P

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, you are right (except that a car is of course safer, the chance to have an accident might increase, but the outcome for yourself would be way better than on a bike)

Probably everybody here will agree with you, so not much to talk about here :P

You are agreeing with me so why did you say "except"?:smile:

Just yesterday I come back from Samui where I was living from 1995 - 2017, I saw that year by year become more dangerous because of the many cars and bike and the ignorance from so many peoples (Thai and farangs).

same here been riding motorbikes since age 14 and driving cars since age 17, became professional driver with trucks and buses, now at age 76 am still driving and just returned from Thailand where I was riding motorcycle in Samui and hired car in Chiang Mai to drive to Chiang Rai, however I don't agree with Mario 666, I feel perfectly safe driving in Thailand, as my rule is: " Always expect the unexpected" and just flow with the traffic and you're safe where ever that may be 

I've been driving here on Samui for 17-years now – one day on bike, and 16 years and 364 days in car:biggrin: – my experience after that time is that foreign tourists, and wannabe motorbikes, are the most dangerous counterparts. The Thais, with all the "stupidity" we aliens may think Thais perform when driving – we aliens obviously don't do the right Thai-way-of-thinking, so we regard it as "stupidity" – I can normally read them, probably because I got used to them after so long time here, whilst foreign tourists just do utterly stupid acts, they would never have dreamed of doing at home; including driving without (any) experience and/or proper driving license, and driving without helmet, and driving without travel insurance (they might have a proper license, however), and drunk driving.

The last very sad fatal case with a young Australian is just one of numerous examples of that.

The "wannabes", which can include both expats and Thais, drives too fast, and take too many risks by overtaking both to the left and to the right, often shifting down the road. Even when I'm driving 60 km/h – which is said by police to be the maximum allowed speed on the island – the wannabes overtake fast and noisy. And yes, we have experienced numerous accidents, also fatal, caused by speed, especially as the motorbike cannot brake in due time before hitting some obstacles; Maenam soi 1 recently seemed a case like that.

Some has mentioned, both in this site's forum, and in other forums, that the fault for many a foreign tourist's accident is caused by Thais, because they don't check for a proper driving license and insurance (travel insurance?) before renting out a bike. I disagree, it's the tourists own responsibility to know, that without a proper license one cannot legally drive a vehicle – even in Thailand – and without an insurance one takes a huge risk, and can put one's own family in an extremely difficult financial situation if something happens. Furthermore, it should be common knowledge to everyone that you cannot both drink (heavily) and drive.

And yes, traffic has increased on Samui, especially during the last decade, but the roads are in much better condition than before – the infamous "black holes" and sleeping dogs – also before the last decade's traffic boom I experienced numerous dead bodies on the road, sometimes almost daily, and even more than once a day (a tour round the island with three accidents where I saw covered, and presumably dead, bodies, five in all). Thailand has for ages – since the 1980'ies tourist boom – been well known for motorbike accidents; I don't think it's percentage worse now, but with many times more foreign tourists, the number has increased.

:smile:

You're wasting your breath unfortunately, 99% of all tourists will never read this along with about 99.9% of Thais so you are effectively preaching to the converted - us the regular Thai Visa contributors, and as I know only too well, the driving skills in the rest of Thailand are exactly the same, so stick with your car if I were you, airbags, seat belts and a steel cage offer far more protection than any set of leathers or helmet :smile: 

2 hours ago, weri said:

same here been riding motorbikes since age 14 and driving cars since age 17, became professional driver with trucks and buses, now at age 76 am still driving and just returned from Thailand where I was riding motorcycle in Samui and hired car in Chiang Mai to drive to Chiang Rai, however I don't agree with Mario 666, I feel perfectly safe driving in Thailand, as my rule is: " Always expect the unexpected" and just flow with the traffic and you're safe where ever that may be 

Thank you for your post.....As i said in my OP I drive "very defensively" , but I still think that with some of the idiots on the road it is still dangerous......If a jumbo jet landed on your head it would be unexpected, but how can you defend against that? :smile::smile:

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

I've been driving here on Samui for 17-years now – one day on bike, and 16 years and 364 days in car:biggrin: – my experience after that time is that foreign tourists, and wannabe motorbikes, are the most dangerous counterparts. The Thais, with all the "stupidity" we aliens may think Thais perform when driving – we aliens obviously don't do the right Thai-way-of-thinking, so we regard it as "stupidity" – I can normally read them, probably because I got used to them after so long time here, whilst foreign tourists just do utterly stupid acts, they would never have dreamed of doing at home; including driving without (any) experience and/or proper driving license, and driving without helmet, and driving without travel insurance (they might have a proper license, however), and drunk driving.

The last very sad fatal case with a young Australian is just one of numerous examples of that.

The "wannabes", which can include both expats and Thais, drives too fast, and take too many risks by overtaking both to the left and to the right, often shifting down the road. Even when I'm driving 60 km/h – which is said by police to be the maximum allowed speed on the island – the wannabes overtake fast and noisy. And yes, we have experienced numerous accidents, also fatal, caused by speed, especially as the motorbike cannot brake in due time before hitting some obstacles; Maenam soi 1 recently seemed a case like that.

Some has mentioned, both in this site's forum, and in other forums, that the fault for many a foreign tourist's accident is caused by Thais, because they don't check for a proper driving license and insurance (travel insurance?) before renting out a bike. I disagree, it's the tourists own responsibility to know, that without a proper license one cannot legally drive a vehicle – even in Thailand – and without an insurance one takes a huge risk, and can put one's own family in an extremely difficult financial situation if something happens. Furthermore, it should be common knowledge to everyone that you cannot both drink (heavily) and drive.

And yes, traffic has increased on Samui, especially during the last decade, but the roads are in much better condition than before – the infamous "black holes" and sleeping dogs – also before the last decade's traffic boom I experienced numerous dead bodies on the road, sometimes almost daily, and even more than once a day (a tour round the island with three accidents where I saw covered, and presumably dead, bodies, five in all). Thailand has for ages – since the 1980'ies tourist boom – been well known for motorbike accidents; I don't think it's percentage worse now, but with many times more foreign tourists, the number has increased.

:smile:

Well said KhunPer...I agree with you 100% on everything. :clap2::thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

You're wasting your breath unfortunately, 99% of all tourists will never read this along with about 99.9% of Thais so you are effectively preaching to the converted - us the regular Thai Visa contributors, and as I know only too well, the driving skills in the rest of Thailand are exactly the same, so stick with your car if I were you, airbags, seat belts and a steel cage offer far more protection than any set of leathers or helmet :smile: 

Unfortunately GT I also agree with you 100%. :crying:

7 hours ago, Mario666 said:

I wouldn't say I feel 'safer" on a motorbike, but I feel I am less likely to have an accident because it is easier to avoid the idiots (by taking evasive action) whilst driving my bike than driving my car.

I am not living in Samui anymore but still go there each year for holidays. I agree with this part of your OP because it would do more damage to me mentally if I killed someone on a bike while driving a car. At least on a bike we fell that we can avoid the accidents that should happen and we can look after ourselves. Like you I have had both licenses from the allowable age.

By the way I went to Samui for holidays for 5 years before I would ride a bike there. It takes time to learn the local driving habits.

Problem is that tourists rent bikes they do not have a bike licence and most have never ridden a bike before arriving on the island.the other concern is that a lot of Thai’s consume alcohol especially the very cheap whisky from the early hours onwards. Now 67 I have parked my Honda Phantom up having decided I want to enjoy my life for many years to come 

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is Samui worse than Pattaya? If so why? Personally i find riding in and around Pattaya fine. Farang are the worse riders, usually tourists with mickey mouse helmets

Or no helmet at all!

Two years ago I returned home for health care for ten months. On my return I noticed far more foreigners not wearing helmets, both expats and tourists. It my have been a perception issue, I don't know, but it's a pet peeve for me.

Do they not realize that the insurance they've bought is null and void without either helmet or license? 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:03 PM, Mario666 said:

Sorry if I am being dumb....but which 10% don't you agree with? :smile:

On 4/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Is Samui worse than Pattaya? If so why? Personally i find riding in and around Pattaya fine. Farang are the worse riders, usually tourists with mickey mouse helmets

Who gives a flying <deleted> what you think, what an idiot, Pattaya is the pits and attracts the of scum of the earth. Read this:

A sadistic, filthy water-ice-and-powder throwing war, radiating from the bar areas, in which for 9 days drunken mobs of farang and Thai hooligans have legal license to cause maximum injury to whomever they encounter.

43 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

And now it's Songkran, one hand on the throttle, one hand on water gun, no helmet, no license, wrong side of the road and stupid drunk. 

:sad:

I can already hear the ambulances. Bonus time for the hospitals :wink:

On 4/11/2018 at 4:59 AM, Mario666 said:

No one should be allowed to rent a bike without a "full" bike licence

Disagree.  Would undoubtedly result in safer conditions on the road, but I don't want Thailand to become another nanny state.  Let people do what they want.  If they crash, let them suffer the consequences.  If you are worried about them crashing into you, you can consider not driving motorbikes.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The southern islands have a lot more tourists with zero experience of riding bikes.  Samui also has no public transport options, which forces/encourages a lot of people into renting bikes.  Pattaya has the baht buses.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:33 PM, weri said:

" Always expect the unexpected" and just flow with the traffic and you're safe where ever that may be 

Well that is far from true here.. You can go with the flow, expect whatever you want, stop at a red light with everyone else and be cleaned up by someone from behind !!

The number of drivers that fall asleep at the wheel is unbelievable, brake failures too.. Sometimes you will have no chance to defend against the threat..

Having said that, I love riding a bike here and still take the same approach as you, however I do realise that every time I go out it could be my last time..

Your concerns are not unfounded, all you can do is ensure you are protected. 

1) Protected Physically: In a safe and well maintained 4 wheeled vehcile. 

2) Protected Financially: 1st Class Insurance / Including Bail Bond.

3) Protected Legally: Roal legal car, fully insured, Thai Driving Licence. 

4) Protected Legally: Dash-Cam (Front and rear-facing)

5) Protected Legally: Never drink-drive

By driving carefully and defensively, with the above 'protection' you will have taken care of most of the potential issues. 

In the event of an unavoidable accident which was not your fault, allow your insurance to deal with the issue. You will have dash-cam footage protecting your innocence. Do not accept blame for something you strongly believe you are not at fault. Its ok to disagree with the Police and see the issue pushed up to a higher level. For the most part, the Police are reasonable and police, they are usually just looking for the simplest and easiest resolution.

Archived