Why is Songkran disliked by so many Expats?

webfact

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I been driving around the area of my gated village in the BKK suburbs, I havent been hit by a drop of water. I guess people here are better behaved. Still getting drenched and eating at a stall is not the end of the world. It would be if the climate was different. 

Same here....  I'd planned not to go out on the bike until the craziness had subsided... however, my wife had not returned with the car, so yesterday afternoon I had to briefly use the bike.

Not far from my place I thought I was about it to succum to a proper drenching, a shake of the head was all it took for the potential aggressors to recognize my unwillingness to participate in their aqueous shenanigans.

Come nightfall attitudes wildly differed as the lawless and alcohol fueled  'purge mentality' set in, motorcyclists were not only fair game but the intended target of maximum damage & injury.  

It seems that during Songkran the 'non-nuts' areas of Bangkok seem rather subdued & peaceful in the day time, but the dusk brings with it a shift in atmosphere as the level of craziness and lawlessness of a few goes unchallenged.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Rodwalloper said:

why do they dislike songkran, many of them have developed a hate for the world so why not songkran to.

More like they're not masochists, not into water sports, or at least prefer their masochism sessions to be CONSENSUAL. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here....  I'd planned not to go out on the bike until the craziness had subsided... however, my wife had not returned with the car, so yesterday afternoon I had to briefly use the bike.

Not far from my place I thought I was about it to succum to a proper drenching, a shake of the head was all it took for the potential aggressors to recognize my unwillingness to participate in their aqueous shenanigans.

Come nightfall attitudes wildly differed as the lawless and alcohol fueled  'purge mentality' set in, motorcyclists were not only fair game but the intended target of maximum damage & injury.  

It seems that during Songkran the 'non-nuts' areas of Bangkok seem rather subdued & peaceful in the day time, but the dusk brings with it a shift in atmosphere as the level of craziness and lawlessness of a few goes unchallenged.

I have to admit that I did not go out at night or dusk, I normally don't go out at dusk. I try to have all my shopping done before. I do go out at night just not as frequent. So I did not check it in the evening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Every year some idiot tries to murder me using the method you describe.

But you keep on riding through the water throwing.  We can just keep hoping for the future...

:cheesy:

• Sad 1

On 4/13/2018 at 7:09 PM, djayz said:

I don't actually mind Songkran too much. One day of getting wet is when I go out is enough for me though. 

The only problem I have with it are auld fellas out splashing water - they should do something more productive with their time and leave the splashing to the younger ones. 

yes what could those adults possibly be thinking celebrating their New Year custom.  You should submit your suggestion to limit the day to one to the government...:cheesy:

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

It used to be that you could dress nicely and wave off water attackers.  Or they would ask permission to pour a dab on you in the spirit of the celebration.  Very genteel. Now it's so impersonal.

On 4/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, Keesters said:

It's not Songkran that I hate. I enjoy a good game of water pistols like any 66 year old child. Its the carnage and stupidity that goes with it that I hate. I hate being targeted to die by people who drink and drive while I'm using the road alongside them. I hate it when my life is threatened by having a bucket of water thrown at me while riding my scooter. I hate arriving at work with my clothes soaking wet to sit in an air conditioned office catching pneumonia. I hate reading how many deaths and injuries happen each year while the government and police are all hot air saying they have it under control which obviously they don't. I hate it that I cannot afford to escape to another country like so many people do.

:passifier: