Why is Songkran disliked by so many Expats?

webfact

It's not Songkran that I hate. I enjoy a good game of water pistols like any 66 year old child. Its the carnage and stupidity that goes with it that I hate. I hate being targeted to die by people who drink and drive while I'm using the road alongside them. I hate it when my life is threatened by having a bucket of water thrown at me while riding my scooter. I hate arriving at work with my clothes soaking wet to sit in an air conditioned office catching pneumonia. I hate reading how many deaths and injuries happen each year while the government and police are all hot air saying they have it under control which obviously they don't. I hate it that I cannot afford to escape to another country like so many people do.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tropo said:

Yeah> I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. Songkran is a small price to pay LOL.

That is the whole point if you can't accept  "problem" like this once a year then your just not flexible. Pattaya has many good things this then is one of the bad sides that songkran takes longer and is everywhere.

As for people throwing water on those that don't is just a risk. I don't really see it happening here but I am sure it does there. I always when I had a lot less work to do travel to Khao Sarn road to celebrate songkran. Here inside the village there will be some kids with water maybe powder but if I were to put on my grumpy farang face they would not use it on me. But this is Songkran if I don't want to get wet i stay inside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

The question should be "why does anyone like Songkran"?... anyone over 12 years of age, that is.

Most people who come on here to support Songkran are either posting drunk, or they're in the early stages of dementia.

What was your name again.. i thought i knew you.. I must have forgotten.. must be those early stages of dementia. I really did like songkran, when I had the time for it. But it was different.. I mean an adventure had try to get to Khao Sarn, we used to take a bus as taxi's did not want to go then walk a bit then party and then get home.. it was fun. But that is different from being forced in a non stop party with no escape. I got a spare room for you to stay over.. just have to move a few weights :smile:

22 hours ago, webfact said:

I was at Jomtien immigration stuck in a 2 hour queue. At this time of year it is always the same. Expats needing to get re entry permits so that they can leave the country and escape the water fighting.

Why not get the re-entry permit at the airport?

9 hours ago, tropo said:

You probably haven't seen Songkran in Pattaya then? There's nothing that resembles "Thai culture" here. It's just a chance for idiots, children or drunks to have their fun.

At 73, you could be well into your second childhood. 

That's right I have never been or ever want to go to a place like Pattaya, to me Pattaya and what happens there is the pits. I think it is just a place full of drunks, druggies and trouble makers and it does not have any culture at all.

I could be into my 4 or 5 childhood but I enjoy my life and I enjoy the happiness with the children and the rest of the Moo Baan here over Songkran with no fights, no stabbings, no shootings yes there are a few who get drunk but they are not problem drunks they are all happy

Where are you living ? because here there are almost no problems.. empty roads... (outskirts of BKK) not too much water throwing here only in party area's. So here people are not to bothered by songkran you can participate or not, that is up to the people here.. if you don't want it you probably won't get wet.. maybe a lil but nothing like in Pattaya for instance. 

Bangkok is perfect during songkran (vehicles wise) gridlock is up country where its normally much better compared to BKK.

My rosey specs are just not tainted like many GOM's if you can't adapt or survive a couple of days of this your not made out to live in an other country IMHO.  There are plenty of options to go during songkrang. This is a local party the locals mainly love it so why should some foreigners tell them they can't play. Pretty inconsiderate IMHO to not have the locals have their fun.. they work a lot harder as most of us (hours wise anyway) let them blow of some steam.

No wonder you don’t have a problem with it. Living just outside Bangkok I imagine you celebrate every year as the hordes leave the city to celebrate/kill themselves on the way to their home provinces and leave the usually gridlocked Bangkok streets almost passable.

If you lived around the outskirts of Pattaya and needed to venture in every day to work or eat in decent restaurants you might appreciate that it’s not all GOM syndrome, there is a real issue.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, gmac said:

No wonder you don’t have a problem with it. Living just outside Bangkok I imagine you celebrate every year as the hordes leave the city to celebrate/kill themselves on the way to their home provinces and leave the usually gridlocked Bangkok streets almost passable.

If you lived around the outskirts of Pattaya and needed to venture in every day to work or eat in decent restaurants you might appreciate that it’s not all GOM syndrome, there is a real issue.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Point is you choose to live near a party town, that has many advantages, but also some disadvantages. Just live with it you can't have it all your way you will just have to adapt the locals surely won't. So you can complain.. be a GOM and so on or move or accept it. 

Its a bit like here, before I had no big shopping centers now I got an IKEA and a big central. Great.. but it also means traffic.. now I could complain about the traffic but that is just a result of having more options. The same goes for you .. you live in a party town with many options. With those options a few downsides appear too. Can't have one without the other.

Edited by robblok

20 hours ago, robblok said:

This is a local party the locals mainly love it so why should some foreigners tell them they can't play. Pretty inconsiderate IMHO to not have the locals have their fun.

Although no one is saying that anyone else should stop playing water fights , we are simply saying that  WE dont want to play water fights with them .

• Like 2

I hate Songkrang because it is not a New Year celebration, but an excuse  to drench anyone else for several days. That's OTT, IMO.  This year, instead of spending money getting the <deleted> out of Thailand over Songkran , I have stocked up with enough food and drink to last me 7 days, and I am content sitting on my armchair on the patio in my quiet Moobahn outside CM city. Pond life moat water is a health hazard. My immediate Thai neighbours seem to have gone somewhere else , and I can even take my dog out for a walk without running into drunken ar**holes with water guns.  A few fireworks went off last night - that was it.

Job done. So far, that is.

• Like 2

the one thing  hate about it is when some scumbag Thai

think its ok to try and feel up your lady and grab her breast , this happened in Phuket a few years ago , if I had of known at the time I would have given him a flogging . my  girlfriend yell at him but didn't tell me  till later ,when I asked her about it .

these are some scumbags out there , Who rely on the fact they are will a large group of there friends , to assault woman at this time of year.  Even though Thais don't approve of this behavior ,, they will protect the <deleted> if you attack him , and attack you. and these <deleted> that do this know it . I love Songkran  and enjoy a couple of days of it  , this year in our village and in Thai dress as well. and the village people show more respect , to every one including me.

I'm OK with Songkran so people enjoy the Thai NewYear and celebrating with family and friends.

I’m up in the NE and it seems too many days they celebrate in our village. I don’t know the history and why 4-5 days? Maybe it’s 

like China that a large number of people work far from their homes 

and a couple of long holidays a year everyone goes home to visit family? 

In our village people party for 4 or 5 days. Wake up start drinking in early morning until early evening or when they knock out. I’ve no problems with the partying but I will only participate 1 or 2 days. 

A lot of the relatives come from Bangkok. We usually provide all the meals and drinks beer etc. One thing I think is odd when they get ready 

fo home wife tells me give them 1or 2 thousand each family.....I’m like what?? 

Everyone enjoy the holiday be safe and sane if possible

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 10:16 AM, lovelomsak said:

I think the ones who dislike it are that way more from the behavior of foreigners during songkran. . Where I live people are still polite. but they are Thai

100%

• Like 1

First time in Pattaya Songkran enjoyed and ever since then 5 later , Now hate it with a passion!!!! Would be so nice if just a calm polite wet not a dangerous loud soaking . I have lost 3 good  people to the stupidity of this festival I think its developed out of control , Why cant it be done in one or 2 blocks where the idiots can be idiots 24 hrs if they like why disrupt other decent folk whom dont share the same idiosy. Love great tunes but man I can't get myself anywhere round the menotinous beat and horns sounding garbage they dance to.It is "Sh@##$$5!!!! Top it off with the your empty headed stupid mentality the looks and motions and drunkedness ,the deaths and you start to realize just how wired differently the people of this place really is . I am of the belief that this race of polluting self centered selfish and most of all STUPIDITY can never change for anything better and I am really saddened to say that . It cant change as the majority don't and no fault of their own have any education to know any better. But on the other side some folk enjoy the wild lawlessness side  and who cares if people die or get injured.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 9:43 AM, robblok said:

As for the 300+ people dying during the 7 days.. nice to attribute them all to songkran..

OK, so shall we deduct say 200 dying attributed to Songran, and 100 to Dying on the Roads, thats acceptable to you is it, the 200 i mean, its a pity expats like you dont proof read first before posting, instead of trying to make yourself look so Fookin superior to the rest of us, enjoy Songkran.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, samsensam said:

a quick look around at songkrn time and you will see it's the children, teenagers and low class, low educated adults involved for by far the most part.

my thai friends are middle class, well educated (in thailand and abroad), professionals who dont look forward to, and hate what goes on, during songkran.

if you think all thais enjoy songkran then i guess you are hanging out with the lower class uneducated section of society. everyone to their own.

Purely out of interest, has anybody ever called you a Snob ?   :biggrin:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

OK, so shall we deduct say 200 dying attributed to Songran, and 100 to Dying on the Roads, thats acceptable to you is it, the 200 i mean, its a pity expats like you dont proof read first before posting, instead of trying to make yourself look so Fookin superior to the rest of us, enjoy Songkran.

If you don't get it you will never get it, Thailand has normally a high mortality rate on the roads so to be fair you need to deduct the average road deaths from the total attributed to Songkran so you get the extra deaths otherwise its just false news trying to make something worse then it actually is.  

• Like 2

because it's pointless and causes problems 

How much water is wasted, during the time of year where there will be droughts..
How many accidents are caused from the roads being wet, or as happened to me today, riding a motorbike and water is chucked onto me, blinding me for a couple of seconds when a car in front broke.
The atmosphere changes around this time of year, and people show their silly and careless side more than usual. 

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

That's right I have never been or ever want to go to a place like Pattaya, to me Pattaya and what happens there is the pits. I think it is just a place full of drunks, druggies and trouble makers and it does not have any culture at all.

I could be into my 4 or 5 childhood but I enjoy my life and I enjoy the happiness with the children and the rest of the Moo Baan here over Songkran with no fights, no stabbings, no shootings yes there are a few who get drunk but they are not problem drunks they are all happy

We weren't discussing the best place to live in Thailand, but Songkran, but seeing as you brought it up - I'd suggest your place is nicer for about 1 week a year - Songkran week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

What was your name again.. i thought i knew you.. I must have forgotten.. must be those early stages of dementia. I really did like songkran, when I had the time for it. But it was different.. I mean an adventure had try to get to Khao Sarn, we used to take a bus as taxi's did not want to go then walk a bit then party and then get home.. it was fun. But that is different from being forced in a non stop party with no escape. I got a spare room for you to stay over.. just have to move a few weights :smile:

LOL> When you "had the time for it", you must have been fairly young.

I'm OK though. This will be my 13th Songkran in Pattaya so I'm able to adapt well. Having my own gym makes it even easier as there's less reason to travel. If I need to get provisions, I have a 24-hour supermarket nearby and many 7Elevens. Big C Extra has extended it's hours to 2 am now and Friendship closes at 2:30 am. Except on the last day, you can get to these at night without getting wet.

16 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> When you "had the time for it", you must have been fairly young.

I'm OK though. This will be my 13th Songkran in Pattaya so I'm able to adapt well. Having my own gym makes it even easier as there's less reason to travel. If I need to get provisions, I have a 24-hour supermarket nearby and many 7Elevens. Big C Extra has extended it's hours to 2 am now and Friendship closes at 2:30 am. Except on the last day, you can get to these at night without getting wet.

I was 33 early days here in Thailand I did not have much to do so i jumped on stuff like Songkran. At the time everything was new and an adventure. Making trips to get whole wheat flower.. finding stuff ect... at first in the immediate area there was not much to do. Hard to find stuff too.. 

Edited by robblok

I hate the aggressive louts both Thai and non Thai who assault  people with water, ruin their clothes, documents, equipment, endanger their lives by water throwing near electricity in bars etc. I am worried that I might respond in a violent way. So I leave Thailand. This year I've come to Hainan in China. Two hours flight from UTP. Last year Saigon, the year before Hanoi, another time Angeles City.