Marriage Visa - Is there such a thing?

2 hours ago, Media1 said:

Yes and No. You get a NON O 12 month multi entry VISA based on marriage. After you can extend indefinitely each 12 months at IMO. Bit of paperwork and a witness that confirms your marriage is legit. Or leave the country each year and obtain another non o VISA 

Extension only 1900.baht

you haven't explained the use of the non o multi very well at all there mate or the extensions

7 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

you haven't explained the use of the non o multi very well at all there mate or the extensions

It requires you exit country every 90 days or less for the year it is valid and allows up to 90 day stay on each entry.  Stay time can be extended at immigration during the last 30-45 days of any 90 day entry with proof of marriage/wife (60 days) or proof of marriage/financials/wife (one year).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It requires you exit country every 90 days or less for the year it is valid and allows up to 90 day stay on each entry.  Stay time can be extended at immigration during the last 30-45 days of any 90 day entry with proof of marriage/wife (60 days) or proof of marriage/financials/wife (one year).  

that's more like it

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And with proof of financials/wife for one year, witness, house visit by Imm', photographs of you and wife, map where house is etc depending on office requirements it then becomes an extension of stay because the 'visa' no longer exists.

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:
15 hours ago, elviajero said:

Immigration themselves refer to visas/permits as "married visas" and "retirement visas" so why shouldn't "normal people".

Because If I say a have a visa and going abroad, would you or would you not advice me to get a re-entry permit? 

I would advise you to get a re-entry permit if you want to keep a permit to stay alive whist out of the country.

The point is that people have always, and will always, call anything in their passport giving permission to enter or stay in a foreign country a visa. And it doesn't matter how many times 'experts' on TVF correct "normal people" they won't change the terminology. Terminology that, given the broad definition and varied use of a 'visa', is not technically wrong.

Saying someone has an 'extension of stay' isn't wrong, but it's the equivalent to saying someone with an entry stamp has a 'period of stay'. Entry stamps, and stamps authorising an extension of stay, are simply formal permission to stay for a set period of time. They are best described as 'Permits', which are a form of visa.

As I pointed out in another thread. My wife applied for a visa for the UK via a government website called "Visa4UK". She has since entered the UK and has permission to stay for 2.5 years. She has nothing in her passport with 'Visa' on it, nor does she have a stamp in her passport saying when her permission to stay expires. Try telling her she doesn't have a 'visa'!

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And with proof of financials/wife for one year, witness, house visit by Imm', photographs of you and wife, map where house is etc depending on office requirements it then becomes an extension of stay because the 'visa' no longer exists.

i was going to go back on extensions in a few months but you just put me off again 555 i hate all that shit. just going to have do it. just feels like a serious invasion of privacy

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:
16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

A "visa" does and must exist otherwise you don't qualify to extend your stay and wouldn't receive a new permit to stay.

Just now, Happy enough said:

i was going to go back on extensions in a few months but you just put me off again 555 i hate all that shit. just going to have do it. just feels like a serious invasion of privacy

Been on multi O's for nearly 15/16 years I reckon. 

Don't mind the 90 days because both retired and traveĺling is what we do. Maybe one visit a year to Imm' to get the last 60 days to make each one last 17 months ( just make sure the TM 30/28 thing is up to date )

Probably go for the retirement extension this year, mind you I've been saying that for 3 or 4 years.

Might even sell a few assets and PUFO. ???

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

A "visa" does and must exist otherwise you don't qualify to extend your stay and wouldn't receive a new permit to stay.

Yes but when you convert to an extension it's as valid as your statement. ie Not.

I can extend my VISA every year by 5 months.

An extension for one year cannot be extended the same way, it has to be re-newed.

Edited by overherebc

5 hours ago, kickstart said:

You do not need to change to retirement visa at age of 60

Do you what to come up to Lopburi immigration and tell them that? ,I do not think you will get far, the door going out, what they say goes, why do I have to keep the money in the bank for 3 months, and not 2 months like, well I think like everyone else?

Remember we are just "Aliens" here in Thailand they can do as they like, and by the way, I did not have 800k in the bank, just 400k, when they told me about the retirement visa I had to ship the other 400k over here quickly.  

I wouldn't let immigration push me around because I know the rules and my rights. If the local immigration office refused to accept my application to extend my stay based on being married, and I met all the conditions and criteria, I would appeal up the line.

It sounds like an IO at Lopburi, or the office management, are making up rules. They can't "do as they like" and even as "Aliens" we have rights. Offices have certain discretionary power, but I can assure you that insisting someone over 60 must change to a retirement extension isn't within their official power.

25 minutes ago, overherebc said:
36 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes but when you convert to an extension it's as valid as your statement. ie Not.

I can extend my VISA every year by 5 months.

An extension for one year cannot be extended the same way, it has to be re-newed.

You don't convert anything. You enter the country using a non-immigrant visa. On entry you are given permission to stay for a set period based on the type of visa, and you then extend that permission to stay for a further period.

You can't extend your "VISA" (assuming you mean the 'enter before' date of your non-immigrant visa) by 5 months. With planning your total stay, with multiple entries and an extension of stay, is nearly 17 months, which is nearly 5 months beyond the 'enter before' (expiry) date of the 'entry' visa.

I don't have a problem with the term "re-newed" (sic), but technically you reapply to extend your stay. Whether you want to extend a stay further, or want to get a new visa, you reapply.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Media1 said:

No need it's pretty self explanatory..I not your father. Use google

don't need to i use the visa and know how it works just thought if you were going to advise other people then make it half make sense

*and it's not self explanatory at all

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

Does a bit feel 'why do you need all this kind of thing' I agree.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You don't convert anything. You enter the country using a non-immigrant visa. On entry you are given permission to stay for a set period based on the type of visa, and you then extend that permission to stay for a further period.

You can't extend your "VISA" (assuming you mean the 'enter before' date of your non-immigrant visa) by 5 months. With planning your total stay, with multiple entries and an extension of stay, is nearly 17 months, which is nearly 5 months beyond the 'enter before' (expiry) date of the 'entry' visa.

I don't have a problem with the term "re-newed" (sic), but technically you reapply to extend your stay. Whether you want to extend a stay further, or want to get a new visa, you reapply.

You're playing with words and probably confusing yourself as well as other people.

I could call my pickup a mercedes because I can drive both but they sure as sh-t aren't the same although they do the same things. Sort of ???

Edited by overherebc

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You're playing with words and probably confusing yourself as well as other people.

I could call my pickup a mercedes because I can drive both but they sure as sh-t aren't the same although they do the same things. Sort of ???

Extension of stay based on the previous NON O VISA

4 minutes ago, Media1 said:

yeah but the multi is 3 month border run and more money. 

last exstension Jomtien were good.young girl.even rushed it through for a flight already booked..But the yearly witness is a joke. Once ok

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

Not entirely true. A non-immigrant visa issued on the basis of being married to a Thai, or any permission to stay based on that visa/marriage, could be revoked by immigration at the point of divorce.

Visas/Permits are issued on the basis of being married so it is perfectly reasonable for "normal people" to refer to their visa/permit as a 'married/marriage visa'. The same applies to someone referring to a visa issued on the basis of retirement as a 'retirement visa'.

Permits, that authorise a stay, are a form of visa.

Immigration themselves refer to visas/permits as "married visas" and "retirement visas" so why shouldn't "normal people".

While you may be technically correct I have never heard of any incident where a person was divorced had his Visa cancelled, but I have heard of persons holding extensions of stay given notice to depart the country.

Kurt

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Media1 said:

yeah but the multi is 3 month border run and more money. 

True but we don't mind and enjoy the holiday every 3 months or so.

Only did one border run in the past two years, mostly flights to 'somewhere' for 4/5 days.

Edited by overherebc

12 minutes ago, kbelyeu said:

While you may be technically correct I have never heard of any incident where a person was divorced had his Visa cancelled, but I have heard of persons holding extensions of stay given notice to depart the country.

Kurt

There still is a law in uk that states a cavalry sergeant can go to a registered Inn and demand and recieve free ale bread and cheese for 6 men and straw and water for his horses.

Unless the guys wife gets really anti and reports the divorce to Imm' then the visa holder will have no problems. Even if she did Imm' would listen then when she leaves put it all in file 13. ( the bin ) They have more important things to worry about.

I'm 73 and I am here on a Non-Immigrant "O" visa with an extension on the basis of marriage, My visa is for 90 days but when you apply for your extension whether it is by way of retirement or marriage your extension is attached to you visa so your visa is in force until such time as you do not apply for an extension. The must "enter by date" on your visa is for the purpose of if you have not entered the country by that date on your visa then your visa becomes void and you must apply for a new visa. With the marriage extension the first application is a pain in the butt, it includes interviews, witnesses, home inspections, interviews with neighbours, photos of the couple, but the second time around it is not as bad, the main reason that IO's prefer retirement to marriage extensions is that it is easier for them and involves less work

36 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I'm 73 and I am here on a Non-Immigrant "O" visa with an extension on the basis of marriage, My visa is for 90 days but when you apply for your extension whether it is by way of retirement or marriage your extension is attached to you visa so your visa is in force until such time as you do not apply for an extension. The must "enter by date" on your visa is for the purpose of if you have not entered the country by that date on your visa then your visa becomes void and you must apply for a new visa. With the marriage extension the first application is a pain in the butt, it includes interviews, witnesses, home inspections, interviews with neighbours, photos of the couple, but the second time around it is not as bad, the main reason that IO's prefer retirement to marriage extensions is that it is easier for them and involves less work

Let's say next year you get a new passport and you take it to Imm' to get your extension of stay transferred and they do so.

After you stay another few months you lose or your dog eats your passport. If you don't have copies etc you will need to leave Thailand get a new visa and start all over again with a new extension, that's because your old visa has expired and it's conditions no longer apply. Even if you had say just one copy of the page with the original visa it would be no use to you because it is no longer valid. 

When you got an extension of stay the visa is of no further use. It's a bit like holding a provisional car licence and when you pass your test you get a full licence so your provisional licence is then just a piece of paper that has no more relevance than the the fact that you had to have it before you could convert it to a full licence.

Edited by overherebc

31 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Visa's as issued to enter a country - you can not enter the country once you obtain an extension of stay without losing that extension of stay (even if you have a multi entry visa that expiration date has not expired - you must obtain a re-entry permit to return from travel prior to starting travel to retain current extension of stay.

All applications require basically the same documents and criteria each year (although map/photos might not be required) - easier because you are ready for it. 

The retirement only requires check of applicant/financials and is a local office decision - marriage requires overview by higher levels. 

My final post on this.

To all the guys who like to think they have extended their visa in their passport by getting an extension.

Fly out and in again without a re-entry permit and when the IO stamps you in for 30 days show him the visa you extended.

Then come back on TV and post what the IO said to you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kbelyeu said:

Kurt

Absolute rubbish.... A NON O.VISA can not be revoked lol. Upon divorce it remains valid.

Extension of stay. You must leave within 7 days. To get another VISA. That's the respect they give you 0.

Although they would not know you got divorced unless you told them

2 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Absolute rubbish.... A NON O.VISA can not be revoked lol. Upon divorce it remains valid.

Extension of stay. You must leave within 7 days. To get another VISA. That's the respect they give you 0.

that's basically what he said

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Media1 said:

An extension of stay ends immediately when the reason for that extension of stay ends - you sign that paperwork for each extension of stay - there is no 7 days to leave unless you apply and pay for a new extension and it is officially declined or if extension obtaioned from one stop center (work) where believe they still allow the 7 days to leave without charge.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1