Marriage Visa - Is there such a thing?

I've tried to find the info for a Marriage Visa. When I get married this time in Thailand with longtime GF can I apply for a Marriage Visa or is that in conjunction with a retirement visa with required bank balance?

You can get a non ''o' based on marriage. either single entry, 90 days + 60 or 1 year Multi Non 'o', have to leave every 90 days and each entry can be extended by 60 days. some consulates require no proof of income such as savannaket and HCMC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

You can get a non ''o' based on marriage. either single entry, 90 days + 60 or 1 year Multi Non 'o', have to leave every 90 days and each entry can be extended by 60 days. some consulates require no proof of income such as savannaket and HCMC

Excellent.....Thank you

Any entry with the 90 day visa could be extended for one year with proof of 400k in Thai bank account for 2 months or income of 40k per month, much like for retirement but lower bank or income requirements but a bit more paperwork as spouse has to be interviewed also.

• Like 1

When I first got my non-imm O visa for 1 year it was refered to as a marriage visa. Recently they have stopped calling it that and use some phrase about dependants which I assume means you could get one to stay with a child. Its the 400,000 which has to be in the bank for 2 months before application which is the problem. The stack of photocopies needed in C Mai is quite big and seems to change often. Interview with you both seems to be obligatory. Good luck.

Edited by Lungstib
addition

13 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

When I first got my non-imm O visa for 1 year it was refered to as a marriage visa. Recently they have stopped calling it that and use some phrase about dependants which I assume means you could get one to stay with a child. Its the 400,000 which has to be in the bank for 2 months before application which is the problem. The stack of photocopies needed in C Mai is quite big and seems to change often. Interview with you both seems to be obligatory. Good luck.

The visa is normally obtained at a Thai Consulate outside Thailand and as said Savannakhet requires no income or bank deposit.  It is when you want to extend your stay for one year at a time that the financials are always required.

• Like 1

Well, you can get a multi entry non immigrant visa based on being married. Valid for one year but generally, wait, you leave Thailand every 90 days and re-enter to get another entry for 90 days.

This is for the 'wait' above,  you can extend each 90 day entry by 60 days for 1900 baht but you have to leave Thailand and come back when those 60 days end to get another 90 days.

So, lets say you get a multi O for one year starting 1/1/2018 valid to 31/12/2018.

You enter on 1/1/2018 and get 90 days, until say end of march ish. You extend that at the local Imm' office for 60 days for 1900 baht till may 31st ish then you have leave and come back to get another 90 days till Aug 31st ish. Extend that again at local Imm' for 60 days until Oct 31st ish then leave again and enter to get another 90 days until Jan 31st ish 2019.

However, you can leave and come back near the end of Dec and get another 90 days until Mar 31st ish and then extend that last 90 days by 60 at local Imm until May sometime so nearly 17 months from a a one year visa.

PS.

I use 'ish' because I don't want to start counting 89/90 days to work out the correct dates to the day.

Or after any 90 day entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay at local Imm' office by showing 400,000 in 'your' bank or 40,000 a month income and then you only do 90 day reports to your local office, but if you leave and re-enter with an extension based on being married you need a re-entry permit to keep the extension valid.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Well, you can get a multi entry non immigrant visa based on being married. Valid for one year but generally, wait, you leave Thailand every 90 days and re-enter to get another entry for 90 days.

This is for the 'wait' above,  you can extend each 90 day entry by 60 days for 1900 baht but you have to leave Thailand and come back when those 60 days end to get another 90 days.

So, lets say you get a multi O for one year starting 1/1/2018 valid to 31/12/2018.

You enter on 1/1/2018 and get 90 days, until say end of march ish. You extend that at the local Imm' office for 60 days for 1900 baht till may 31st ish then you have leave and come back to get another 90 days till Aug 31st ish. Extend that again at local Imm' for 60 days until Oct 31st ish then leave again and enter to get another 90 days until Jan 31st ish 2019.

However, you can leave and come back near the end of Dec and get another 90 days until Mar 31st ish and then extend that last 90 days by 60 at local Imm until May sometime so nearly 17 months from a a one year visa.

PS.

I use 'ish' because I don't want to start counting 89/90 days to work out the correct dates to the day.

Or after any 90 day entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay at local Imm' office by showing 400,000 in 'your' bank or 40,000 a month income and then you only do 90 day reports to your local office, but if you leave and re-enter with an extension based on being married you need a re-entry permit to keep the extension valid.

Sorry, for my related question. I'm on an ME Non- O, based on marriage to a Thai and my date of entry before is the 1st of May 2018.

My 90 days are up on the 19th this month, so I thought to apply for 60 days at the local Immigration should be possible?

And I'd then leave Thailand one day before the enter before day, the 1st of May and get another 90 days. Am I right?

Thanks for any input, I just don't want to drive to Cambodia in a few days for private reasons. 

But I'd only win a few days, not really worth it, or? 

Edited by jenny2017

30 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Sorry, for my related question. I'm on an ME Non- O, based on marriage to a Thai and my date of entry before is the 1st of May 2018.

My 90 days are up on the 19th this month, so I thought to apply for 60 days at the local Immigration should be possible?

And I'd then leave Thailand one day before the enter before day, the 1st of May and get another 90 days. Am I right?

Thanks for any input, I just don't want to drive to Cambodia in a few days for private reasons. 

If the date of entry is 1st May you can leave and re-enter best on the 30th April and you will get 90 days till July around the 27/28th ish, around 20th July you can extend at the local Imm' for another 60 days till Sept 24/25th ish for 1900 baht.

My local Imm' needs me my wife with me, mar' cert both sides and copy, copy of house book, copy both sides of my wifes ID, copy of my passport front page visa and TM 6 and 1900 baht of course. Best check with your office what they need.

I'll post a copy of the 60 stamp in a minute when I find my passport. ?

Edit.

Multi O enter by 27 Nov 2017. Went out/in 21st and got 90 days till 18th Feb 2018. Went to Imm local office on 13th Feb and got 60 days from 18th Feb till 19th April. ?

2018-04-12 15.47.08.jpg

20180412_154345.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

yes correct

44 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Just realised it will make a difference for driving being Songkran. We're flying out on tha 18th for a new Multi O so not as bad as driving at this time of year.

Get your 60 days and when you out/in just before 1st May you get 90, your 60 days will be dead but your visa still valid.

Edited by overherebc

I was on a marriage  visa  400.000 in the bank for 3 months   (this is Lopburi Im), for a lot of years, then I got to my 60th birthday I was told  ,it had to be a retirement visa 800 000 in the bank 3 months ,and I get to go to our local office on my own, wife not needed. 

And the op did mention about retirement visas, so maybe he is of an age for a retirement visa.

3 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I was on a marriage  visa  400.000 in the bank for 3 months   (this is Lopburi Im), for a lot of years, then I got to my 60th birthday I was told  ,it had to be a retirement visa 800 000 in the bank 3 months ,and I get to go to our local office on my own, wife not needed. 

And the op did mention about retirement visas, so maybe he is of an age for a retirement visa.

if you read his sentence i think he is implying that he trying to avoid the retirement visa and the finances and do a marriage visa instead

2 hours ago, Dingle 60 said:

To all the politically correct guys out there. There is no such thing as a marriage visa. But, to us normal people there IS. You get a 1 year multi o visa based on marriage. There you have  it, a marriage visa

If you are on extension of stay based on marriage and marriage ends it end the same say day. 

If on non - O visa based on marriage it ends when visa ends. 

So, what is for normal people. 

There is no marriage visa. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

If you are on extension of stay based on marriage and marriage ends it end the same say day. 

If on non - O visa based on marriage it ends when visa ends. 

So, what is for normal people. 

There is no marriage visa. 

Not entirely true. A non-immigrant visa issued on the basis of being married to a Thai, or any permission to stay based on that visa/marriage, could be revoked by immigration at the point of divorce.

Visas/Permits are issued on the basis of being married so it is perfectly reasonable for "normal people" to refer to their visa/permit as a 'married/marriage visa'. The same applies to someone referring to a visa issued on the basis of retirement as a 'retirement visa'.

Permits, that authorise a stay, are a form of visa.

Immigration themselves refer to visas/permits as "married visas" and "retirement visas" so why shouldn't "normal people".

Thanks guys for the input. I've been getting a non-o visa based on my daughter, which if I'm to understand correctly is the same as if it was based on marriage. I got it for vehicle purchases, bank accounts and driver's license whether or not I actually needed it....just in case they asked for it. But now I want to make Thailand my official home for tax purposes.....that's my reason for asking. So even if we don't get marriage taken care of I can get same visa for daughter.

Lately I've just been getting 30 day upon arrival and 30 day extension at immigration as I still work 4-5 mos at a time before I get back to Thailand.

I'd just transfer money to meet 800,000 requirement but the exchange rate is so bad at the moment.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Thanks guys for the input. I've been getting a non-o visa based on my daughter, which if I'm to understand correctly is the same as if it was based on marriage. I got it for vehicle purchases, bank accounts and driver's license whether or not I actually needed it....just in case they asked for it. But now I want to make Thailand my official home for tax purposes.....that's my reason for asking. So even if we don't get marriage taken care of I can get same visa for daughter.

Lately I've just been getting 30 day upon arrival and 30 day extension at immigration as I still work 4-5 mos at a time before I get back to Thailand.

I'd just transfer money to meet 800,000 requirement but the exchange rate is so bad at the moment.

If you ever want an extension of stay based on being a parent you will need to get your parenthood legalised. Being named on the birth certificate is enough to get a non ‘O’ visa, but not for an extension. Getting legalised, which can usually be done at your local Amphoe, is easy with the cooperation of the child’s mother.

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

Immigration themselves refer to visas/permits as "married visas" and "retirement visas" so why shouldn't "normal people".

Because If I say a have a visa and going abroad, would you or would you not advice me to get a re-entry permit? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

That is not true. You do not need to change to a "retirement visa" at age 60. They probably told you that because they knew you had 800K and wanted you to apply based on retirement so it could be granted on the spot and involves less paperwork. It makes little difference, as long as you don't want to work, because the end result is the same 1 year permit to stay.

You do not need to change to retirement visa at age of 60

Do you what to come up to Lopburi immigration and tell them that? ,I do not think you will get far, the door going out, what they say goes, why do I have to keep the money in the bank for 3 months, and not 2 months like, well I think like everyone else?

Remember we are just "Aliens" here in Thailand they can do as they like, and by the way, I did not have 800k in the bank, just 400k, when they told me about the retirement visa I had to ship the other 400k over here quickly.  

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Because If I say a have a visa and going abroad, would you or would you not advice me to get a re-entry permit? 

I have stopped trying to explain visas/extensions/re-entry permits/work permits to people who ask me about it. I post on here only now.

When I'm told by someone that he sent his wife to ask at Imm' about getting a work permit and she told him the Imm' office said he had to go back to USA and get a new visa first then they would help.

I just answered 'that sounds ok'

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Do you what to come up to Lopburi immigration and tell them that? ,I do not think you will get far, the door going out, what they say goes, why do I have to keep the money in the bank for 3 months, and not 2 months like, well I think like everyone else?

Remember we are just "Aliens" here in Thailand they can do as they like, and by the way, I did not have 800k in the bank, just 400k, when they told me about the retirement visa I had to ship the other 400k over here quickly.  

I suspect the problem lies with your Immigration office as we know they apply their own rules.

I know three guys here in the North well over sixty who obtain their marriage extensions from the Chiang Mai office two changed from the retirement extension to avoid the higher financial amount.

For me if you are able the retirement extension is simpler and issued on the spot

Horses for courses though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swimman said:

I do know one IO who will not play the game and informs those seeking a "visa" when they really want an EofS that visas must be obtained outside Thailand

Good for him (or her)!

Yes and No. You get a NON O 12 month multi entry VISA based on marriage. After you can extend indefinitely each 12 months at IMO. Bit of paperwork and a witness that confirms your marriage is legit. Or leave the country each year and obtain another non o VISA 

Extension only 1900.baht

20 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Yes and No. You get a NON O 12 month multi entry VISA based on marriage. After you can extend indefinitely each 12 months at IMO. Bit of paperwork and a witness that confirms your marriage is legit. Or leave the country each year and obtain another non o VISA 

Extension only 1900.baht

Do it right and you get 17 months and if you need you can get a WP with it.

Don't where the witness comes into it though.

Ah ok I see you actually mean an extension of stay based on being married, not a visa.

1st image  VISA.

2nd image Extension of stay.

( find the word VISA on the second image ?? )

images (22).jpeg

images (21).jpeg

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

No, they can not do as they like.

If you were to show up with all paperwork complete for extension based on marriage and with 400k seasoned for 2 months it would be granted.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Phew ! why Bloody bother.