Splish, splash – tourists and Thais get wet and wild

snoop1130

I can't hear this BS anymore: it's all the foreigners' fault.

If it wasn't for all the bad farang, Thais would celebrate Sonhgkran quiet and in the traditional way!

Yeah right!

Because noise and party and drinking are soooooooo un- Thai!

All you miserable grumpy old men: lock yourself in for a week- you won't be missed!

Everybody else: have fun, get wild, get wet and stay safe!

Happy new year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Appears that media is making a division between tourist behavior and Thai behavior  during songkran. 

All water fights  are being described as being done by foreigners. But events at the wat and such are being shown as thais celebrating.

Maybe that is what is needed. Show the foreigners it is not just splashing water for thais. there is more to it.

There is more to it, correct. But let's leave the wats and temples and the religion to the primarily Buddhist Thais, and let the income stream  tourists do their thing.

Please don't expect non Buddhists to start flocking to the temple, why should they, it is not their religion.

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Thats the number who would have died any way

Is that right? I would like to see the statistics at the end of Songcran for the people killed and injured through water throwing alone, yes, I know there won't be any.

24 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Had my Songkran at home this morning, the Mrs washed my feet with scented water & flower petals, dribbled some more over my hands whilst I was holding one of those flower thingy's that you hang off your rear view mirror and said a nice prayer, that'll do for me thanks muchly. :thumbsup:

This is for the first day "On the first day of Songkran, which is a day to honour the elderly, an old custom called Rod Nam Dum Hua (รดน้ำดำหัว) takes place. This ritual involves young people pouring rose and jasmine scented water into the palms or feet of parents or wise elders as a signs of humility and to ask for their blessings."

This is for tomorrow "The second day of Songkran is dedicated to families and officially known as National Family Day (วันครอบครัวแห่งชาติ). Families get together to spend quality time together. Children will also prepare rose and jasmine scented water to wash parents’ feet and offer them a flower garland, then the parents will give blessing to the children."

Seems like your Mrs is making up her own traditions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Well its a no brainer if you go to Pattaya at Songkran . Has to be a bit of high season in the middle of the low season with many foreigners coming to play with water and drink all day . To the unaware newbie tourists it can be annoying and I have seen a couple of scraps in beach road caused by throwing water over people who were dressed for the evening and getting soaked by drunk Europeans .

"and I have seen a couple of scraps in beach road caused by throwing water over people"

I hope the people who were getting soaked decked these drunken western (unfair to say Europeans) scum good and proper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Where I live the music has started but I have not seen the trucks with the water being hurled from them go past yet.

Maybe a bit later?

Anyway this 63 year old child is going to go out and get wet - both outside and hopefully on the inside!!!!!!!

Wow....A 63 year old with a brain of a 12 year old (being polite here)....

So the highlight of your boring life is to spray water and have a few beers....how very exciting (thanks for sharing)

But each to his own...

The problem here is, that your childish games effect a lot of people, who don't share your playfulness...

So please limit your "fun" to just one day, and respect people who are not participants in the games...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, JOC said:

Wow....A 63 year old with a brain of a 12 year old (being polite here)....

So the highlight of your boring life is to spray water and have a few beers....how very exciting (thanks for sharing)

But each to his own...

The problem here is, that your childish games effect a lot of people, who don't share your playfulness...

So please limit your "fun" to just one day, and respect people who are not participants in the games...

Where did he say, it was the highlight of anything, Mr. Condescending?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pearciderman said:

Nope, that is how Buddhists celebrate. Oh and those pathetic wannabe Thais, you know the ones, I am so Thai because I live in a field and eat nothing but bugs all day.

How could you not like that picture and the Thais do invite us falangs to take part in this sensible cultural celebration even though we are not Buddhists .

However I do agree with you about the wannabe Thais , the real Thais are laughing behind their backs but as long as his ATM keeps paying out they will go along with it . 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Oh stop..please stop.

My sides are splitting.

The irony is prior to foreigners coming to thailand and putting their spin on songkran  ( drenching, ice buckets etc ) it was a gentle celebration.

As ye shall sow, so shall ye reap.

The thais in the enclaves where the farangs frequent are only doing what they believe farangs like.

I dont like all the bulldust that surrounds xmas, easter etc etc in the west. 

Its commercial..ie the way of the world

Oh please stop... don't blame the world,  people make the world...even in the small soi`s

5 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

Maybe not the miserable for me the sensible  

Dont forget the ones with the Bird Brain mentality who need to have a Water Fight 4 Days of the year in order to give themselves this huge lift in self-esteem that they otherwise lack for the other 361 days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Appears that media is making a division between tourist behavior and Thai behavior  during songkran. 

All water fights  are being described as being done by foreigners. But events at the wat and such are being shown as thais celebrating.

Maybe that is what is needed. Show the foreigners it is not just splashing water for thais. there is more to it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43627113