Buddhist Morality teacher rapes young Bangkok boys instead of ordaining them

rooster59

32 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Buddhism to me was one of the least demanding, inoffensive and most easily palatable until we hear of cases like these.

I don't think Buddhism is the problem, only some of it's 'human' practitioners (the deviants and control freaks)! Same same as for some other religions/belief systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

I am not religious in any way and there are certainly many who abuse their positions within all religions.  However religious belief is a driving force throughout the world 

I am an atheist myself, but I agree with you there. Religion is simply a step in human evolution. Nothing would have been built and we wouldn't have civilization if there was no religion. 

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I am an atheist myself, but I agree with you there. Religion is simply a step in human evolution. Nothing would have been built and we wouldn't have civilization if there was no religion. 

True. Now the question becomes how to get rid of it and start using your own brains instead. Boils down to education, I suppose, so the next ones buggering young boys will likely be the professors.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was going to say, the guy post-arrest tells the police he's into "deviant" behavior...

But what about all the time BEFORE he came to BKK for this visit? None of the other monks at his home temple ever thought or noticed anything was amiss?  Surely he was engaging in the same kind of conduct up there, and what became of it?

And if it's been going on for a while and regularly I can't believe that the abbot and the other monks did not notice something was going on.

Unfortunately it's part of Thai behaviors / social expectations to 'mind your own business', but that's true in many countries.  Doesn't help in terms of protecting the young. 

• Like 1

I'm not big on religion but at it's core this kind of abuse is about authority figures of any kind (religious or otherwise) to assert their power in evil ways. Could be a basketball coach doing the same thing. So I don't think it's fair to scapegoat religion about this. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I am not religious in any way and there are certainly many who abuse their positions within all religions.  However religious belief is a driving force throughout the world and has been for centuries and not everyone involved is bad.  Unfortunately you only hear about the bad apples (and there are plenty of them) when it comes to the abuse of children or women.  Many people need religion in their lives and mainly it is for the good.  Today we question everything whereas in the past things were kept quiet.  The abuse has always been there but now at least people are willing to come forward.

You don't need an imaginary sky god to help other people.

The imaginary sky god just gives these people a misplaced sense of importance/power. 

ie if you believe what I say about this 'god' you will feel nearly as important as me.

15 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Worst of the worst. 

Beware of those who preach morality. As soon as someone starts doing it to me, I’m like, “Na. I want nothing to do with you”. 

really,,,, if a relatively young gay male tried to preach to me high morality with the ulterior motive of getting into my old unattractive behind, i might tell him "i'm flattered but no thank you"

Any group or person that is in a position of great authority or reverence has a great amount of influence and control over people's behavior.  The person could be from a religious order, a work boss, a government official, a cop, even a husband or wife, whoever is "senior".  Youths of course having less experience in such matters are often easy prey.  Please try to explain to your kids or younger relatives that they can always ask you or come to you if they think anything seems a bit off.   Sadly, the kids, or people are often ashamed, or embarrassed or afraid to come forward.  Happens to adults also, that are too embarrassed to admit what they fell into

3 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Once while discussing the precepts of Buddhism with a monk, he grabbed my cock.

Hundreds of times while discussing catholicism the priests / brothers grabbed the cocks of thousands of young boys and young men from most countries in the world. 

Edited by scorecard

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So I don't think it's fair to scapegoat religion about this. 

Why not? The odious Catholic Church offers up many examples of preventing and even perverting the course of justice over paedophile priests. bishops etc. Boston ring a bell? Similarly, we are being made aware of how the Buddhist hierarchy here in Thailand is trying to deflect, not to mention widespread community efforts to cover up bad behaviour by monks. Religion, whether catholic or Buddhist or any other, is about power, and as long as this is a raison d'etre for its existence, then it remains open to being pilloried - and rightly so.

since the early 2000's I have lost all respect for so called monks, i have studied the monk hood a little, (very little) but I constantly see them with cell phones, and  shopping for video games, AND there have been many. many stories about the monks being perverts, drunks and shills, there was even one story where a monk slapped a foreigner on a bus for not getting up and getting him sit down. i don't give them anything and treat them like any other person, once on nok air amonk had a seat next to a female and the stew wanted me to change with him, I said no! that was his problem not mine! she did not bother me anymore because I gave both her and the monk the best stink eye I could muster./

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jvs said:

You may be right about some but there are also very good people in religion.personally i do not believe in religion but i have to admire what

some people are doing.

You're too polite IMO.  I would say that to condemn all religions based on the morbid actions of a few, is an extremely ignorant statement. Some people have no clue what religion is all about, or should be all about, and why there are distortions and deviations. There will always be disappointments arise; that is the first of the Four Noble Truths. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Most of these religions demand that their clerics are celibate.  It is somewhat abnormal for any young man to voluntarily decide to have nothing to do with women and I believe that these religions provide an attractive refuge for them where they are often able to indulge in their alternative sexual leanings, often for many years with impunity. 

Many self-proclaimed "prophets of God", particularly in the USA are total frauds claiming to cure the sick or offering rewards in the next life in return for substantial donations to the "prophet's" bank accounts to enable them to build lavish churches and incidentally to give them  personal multi-millionaire status.   Religion may provide solace and comfort to many mainly poor people in the world but much of it is a complete con one way or another. I agree that, in principle, Buddhism is one of the better options available, but unfortunately recent events have shown that even it cannot be taken too seriously, since along with clerics in other faiths, many of its monks are proving to be untrustworthy.

Perhaps the practice of admitting almost anyone as a monk, even just for a few weeks, should be stopped and new entrants  be required to undergo checks and have to pass certain tests before being accepted.  This would  help to show that the new applicants are serious and would keep out most of the undesirable elements.

54 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Perhaps the practice of admitting almost anyone as a monk, even just for a few weeks, should be stopped and new entrants  be required to undergo checks and have to pass certain tests before being accepted.  This would  help to show that the new applicants are serious and would keep out most of the undesirable elements.

Totally agree with your above sentiment. To me it is ludicrous that just anyone can overnight become a monk here (regardless of whether they are murderers, rapists or whatever) and then people will be bowing and scraping to them and expecting to get moral guidance and spiritual uplift from them. This makes a mockery of the noble Buddhist religion. The 'monk for a week' thing is a sick joke in my opinion. Either do the thing properly (with conviction, self-exertion, and a genuine spiritual vocation) - or don't bother at all. (The superficiality of this whole practice of 'monk for a month' is, by the way, VERY Thai!).

Like a number of others on Thaivisa Forum, I no longer bother to give any special respect to Thai monks, as they could, just a day or two earlier, have been some repeat-offending psycho or criminal - or (even, horror of horrors) Khun Suthep!

Edited by Eligius