Songkran holidays now  claim 323 deaths, 3,140 injuries in five days 

webfact

Songkran holidays now  claim 323 deaths, 3,140 injuries in five days 

By Thai PBS

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4ALQg3pXrgBzPID1LxaDFGH5

A total of 323 Songkran celebrants were killed and 3,140 others were injured in the past five days of the Songkran festival.

According to the Road Safety Centre, only on April 15, or the fifth day of the  7-day dangerous period starting April 11, 69 people died and 589 were injured in a total of 552 road accidents in  single day on Sunday.

Most fatal accidents were blamed on drink driving (42.03%), and speeding (25.72%). Motorcycle crashes recorded most of the road accidents (78.53%).

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkran-holidays-now-claim-323-deaths-3140-injuries-five-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-16

I should probably be inured to it all by now, but each new report makes me wince. Across the board, 2 out of 5 were drunk and 4 out of 5 was a motorbike. I am super, super careful this time of year. I just don't get why the locals don't seem to value their lives. They after all, should comprehend the problems and the dangers more than anyone?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

A total of 323 Songkran celebrants were killed and 3,140 others were injured in the past five days of the Songkran festival.

Most fatal accidents were blamed on drink driving (42.03%), and speeding (25.72%). Motorcycle crashes recorded most of the road accidents (78.53%).

Incredible statistics, scary.

But where do the figures of average road accidents and deaths fit into these statistics? It obviously can't be 'average' as the article specifically states Songkran celebrants.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

What is the point of publishing those depressing numbers every day?

The Thai's clearly don't give a s**t...

And we expats already know, that Thai drivers are the worst in the world, and more people are killed on the roads here than anywhere else....

Nothing is going to change....and after a while, you get immune to headlines like....323 killed in five days

Equivalent of a jumbo jet every 5 days Amazing Thailand :burp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done Thai people, you've managed to get the average up to 65 p/day... hate to think what the death toll would be if the additional police measures weren't in place over Songkran, 80, 90 p/day? frightening!!...  the "7 deadly days" living up to its name this year. From memory, the numbers used to be 500+ deaths over Songkran 10 years or so ago...

2 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Even more depressing since the definition of "road death" is killed at the spot. Add to that the number who then die in hospital later.

The figure that you are seeing at the moment is the collective figure of on the road deaths plus the deaths in hospital for the previous 4 days the only figures that are missing as they have not been released yet are the updated figures for the previous 4 days.

The figures that I have recorded at this date only totals 317 deaths because the updated figures for the previous 4 days have not been release as to what days they are for, so the way that you are claiming is incorrect. The final figures for day 7 are the figures that will not be correctly done as anyone who dies in hospital after the cutoff on day 7 will not be counted in the 7 dangerous days tally, this is the way that it has previously been done both at Songkran and at Christmas/New Year

4 hours ago, PaddyDaddy said:

For the year 2017, Ireland had a total of 159 road deaths. That's a whole year my Thai friends. I'm sure other countries have done better but my point is with better training & proper law enforcement, Thailand CAN do better. It's all in the mind set !!! http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

Antarctica had even less though!!

4 hours ago, JOC said:

What is the point of publishing those depressing numbers every day?

The Thai's clearly don't give a s**t...

And we expats already know, that Thai drivers are the worst in the world, and more people are killed on the roads here than anywhere else....

Nothing is going to change....and after a while, you get immune to headlines like....323 killed in five days

Sorry JOC but some of the expats are just as bad as the Thai's on the roads, maybe because they have lived here too long and they have picked up the same traits and attitudes as the Thai's

If you saw the video that goes with the wrecked pick up in the lead photo it explains a lot, 4 young guys drinking whisky while joking about near misses as they were driving like dickheads says a lot.....all 4 died at the scene!!

• Like 1

I should probably be inured to it all by now, but each new report makes me wince. Across the board, 2 out of 5 were drunk and 4 out of 5 was a motorbike. I am super, super careful this time of year. I just don't get why the locals don't seem to value their lives. They after all, should comprehend the problems and the dangers more than anyone?
They believe in reincarnation. So it's a win win if they die.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 2

This was my 13th Songkran - unlucky for some.  Each year the headlines are the same; the reasons are the same: drunk driving/speeding. The needless loss of life is the same; the politicians mouth the same platitudes but nothing changes.  Thais are very slow learners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24,000 die each year in traffic  related accidents in Thailand. 323 in 5 days is actually expected and possibly a slight improvement over average.

Don't blame it on Songkran.

Road accidents in Thailand
  • 2nd in the world for road accident deaths, after Libya.
  • 24,000 people are estimated to die on Thai roads every year.
  • 73% of those killed are motorcyclists.
  • 36.9m vehicles ply Thai roads - it's gone up by 30% in the last five years
Edited by Cabradelmar

We saw the pics of the cops  all dressed up ready to tackle the bad drivers. Just for bloody show nothing else. Soon as pic was taken they went on sat down again and did nothing  400 looks like a good number this year.

• Like 1