Cabbie who dumps a passenger on motorway arrested by tourist police

webfact

Cabbie who dumps a passenger on motorway arrested by tourist police

By Thai PBS

taxi-driver.jpg

Tourist police have arrested a taxi driver who picked up a female passenger from Suvarnabhumi international airport for a ride to Huay Kwang but allegedly dumped her on the motorway after she refused to pay him 500 baht as taxi fare as he demanded.

The passenger who managed to hail another taxi which brought her home in Huay Kwang later posted in her Facebook account her bad experience with the cabbie working at Suvarnbhumi international airport.

Tourist police based at the airport later managed to track down the taxi driver, identified as Boonchuey Pimnont, and made the arrest along with his taxi. A search of his car uncovered a small amount of Ice.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabbie-dumps-passenger-motorway-arrested-tourist-police/

"....during festive occasions such as Songkran and New Year, most taxi drivers at the airport would normally refuse to use taxi meters...."

I thought refusing to use the meter is illegal.  500 baht is about double what a metered cab would be for that trip! 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

and made the arrest along with his taxi. A search of his car uncovered a small amount of Ice.

aside from the somehow-required idiotic photo of a group of police, what then happened ? charges ? penalties ? remarkably stupid excuses ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

aside from the somehow-required idiotic photo of a group of police, what then happened ? charges ? penalties ? remarkably stupid excuses ?

If you bothered to read the report all your questions would be answered. Easy, really.
'He was, however, charged with possessing illicit drug, using drug while driving, refusing to send his passenger to the destination and not using taxi meter.'

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

"....during festive occasions such as Songkran and New Year, most taxi drivers at the airport would normally refuse to use taxi meters...."

I thought refusing to use the meter is illegal.  500 baht is about double what a metered cab would be for that trip! 

Well, taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi don't seem to have gotten the message yet. They will tell you, only half-way to the destination, that they don't intend to use the meter. If you're with luggage, and/or in the middle of nowhere, what else can you do, but agree to their extortion. TiT...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi don't seem to have gotten the message yet. They will tell you, only half-way to the destination, that they don't intend to use the meter. If you're with luggage, and/or in the middle of nowhere, what else can you do, but agree to their extortion. TiT...

If you worry that the taxi won't turn on the meter you could insist that he turns it on before he starts driving.

If he started driving already and didn't turn on the meter remind him to do so. If he refuses to do this tell him to stop before you are in the middle of the Highway and get another taxi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not my experience, but maybe I've just been lucky. I travel in and out of swampy a couple of times a month for business, and in the last 2 years have never had a taxi not put the meter on. Includes arriving at 6am on Saturday morning this week (14th).

I certainly wouldn't leave the airport without the meter being on, though.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stbkk said:

Not my experience, but maybe I've just been lucky. I travel in and out of swampy a couple of times a month for business, and in the last 2 years have never had a taxi not put the meter on. Includes arriving at 6am on Saturday morning this week (14th).

I certainly wouldn't leave the airport without the meter being on, though.  

I took a taxi from there with the driver originally not wanting to use the meter. When I walked away he called me back and said he would - but then he drove me a long way around so the meter fare ended up the same as the non-metered offer. If I hadn't have had luggage I'd have hopped out long before we reached the destination.

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I had a taxi do this to me once, I told him ok I'll pay. I didnt tell him the hotel I was going to, just told him to go to Silom.  When I got to the soi of my hotel. I showed him US dollars told him I needed change, I went down the soi and never went back!! 

They used to be quite disciplined at the airport and in the past I was always given a ticket by a lady at a desk which identified the driver and car, which could be used if there were any problems. The fare was either already agreed or was per meter plus 50 baht (I used to go to Pattaya and we agreeed a fare with the driver). Is that still the case as any complaints and the driver could lose the lucrative airport stand?

I recall a driver who got lost getting uppity with me and trying to dump me out when I damaged his ego. I said he had to get me to a main road, as we were in a rural area and I would gladly get out. These drivers need to be reined in!

Edited by jacko45k

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They used to be quite disciplined at the airport and in the past I was always given a ticket by a lady at a desk which identified the driver and car, which could be used if there were any problems. The fare was either already agreed or was per meter plus 50 baht (I used to go to Pattaya and we agreeed a fare with the driver). Is that still the case as any complaints and the driver could lose the lucrative airport stand?

There is an electronic system now which works in the same way. Press the button on the machine and you get a lane number, and that is your taxi. Its got the taxi number etc. printed on it, and you keep that ticket in case of problems. Fare is the same, meter + 50 Baht, or (I guess in the case of Pattaya etc.) agreed fare.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you worry that the taxi won't turn on the meter you could insist that he turns it on before he starts driving.

If he started driving already and didn't turn on the meter remind him to do so. If he refuses to do this tell him to stop before you are in the middle of the Highway and get another taxi.

I always tell the driver when I get in the taxi to turn on the meter - I have never, in 30 years of travelling to Bangkok, had a problem at the either of the two airports.

20 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Had the same problem about 3 years ago, it was dark, rapidly thought ahead (concierge always meets me on arrival and takes luggage from cab), so I agreed. Arrived at hotel, took my time exiting from the cab  - concierge, 2 guys, began removing luggage - I got out and gave the driver the "normal" meter fare and walked away! And away he drove. Too bad, how sad (for him), never mind!