Former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush dead at 92 - family

webfact

Just now, sanemax said:

Do you mind, this is a thread about the death of Barbara Bush, stop using it to rant about random things

No, funnily enough I do not mind replying to your comment which was you nitpicking from a comment I made and thus taking us off topic, if you want the thread to stay on topic then keep your nitpicks on topic, OK?

The lady cannot be held responsible for the actions of either her husband or sons either in politics or business. I am sure over the years her life was full of some serious crap. I am not aware that she was wicked or horrible to anyone. She had a good innings and seemed to love the USA, which is more than can be said for many Americans at the moment. Slagging this woman off is in very poor form. I hope she rests in peace, she was no doubt a much loved Wife, Mother and Grandmother and we have ALL suffered that loss. Lets see some dignity please.

Edited by Andaman Al
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do think that there should be , say three days of showing no disrespect or being abusive to the deceased .

Its horrendous when some people celebrate another persons death .

You want to ban something that the Bush's consider intrinsic to freedom?  And on a day like today.

• Like 1

Off topic trolling posts and replies have been removed.

This topic is not about the validity of The Daily Mail.

This topic is not about Trump supporters or TV members mourning the death of Hitler, Eichmann and others.

Have some respect, this topic is about the former US first lady Barbara Bush passing away. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

I guess they use the term quite differently to us, for the UK it means coming from nobility, but of course in the US any arriving nobility are forced to abandon any peerages they arrive with, it is illegal for someone to use a hereditary title if born in the US.  The, we also have the gentry, those who had land but were below the noble class, but we would never refer to every decedent of the landed gentry as having blueblooded, it would be ridiculous, almost every single person would have a claim.  I think the American term could be something to do with having a long family history in America and one including rich and powerful ancestors, as she did have.

Yes the term is used slightly differently in the US along the lines you suggest.But even in the UK it is used in a less rigid manner than you suggest.Thus someone of the landed gentry but not the nobility like David Cameron might be described as blue blooded. You are incidentally completely wrong to suggest it is illegal to hold hereditary titles in the US.It isn't but the Federal Government is constitutionally prohibited from issuing titles.There is nothing to prevent an American being a hereditary peer and indeed there are several examples of such.

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Yes the term is used slightly differently in the US along the lines you suggest.But even in the UK it is used in a less rigid manner than you suggest.Thus someone of the landed gentry but not the nobility like David Cameron might be described as blue blooded. You are incidentally completely wrong to suggest it is illegal to hold hereditary titles in the US.It isn't but the Federal Government is constitutionally prohibited from issuing titles.There is nothing to prevent an American being a hereditary peer and indeed there are several examples of such.

I understood it as Americans can inherit a foreign title from a relative who is a foreign national as it would be granted by the other country but not inherit a title from an American relative as that would be the US granting the title.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

You want to ban something that the Bush's consider intrinsic to freedom?  And on a day like today.

No, I do not want to ban anything , I just feel that posters should regulate themselves, show no disrespect to the deceased, just wait at least until she  been  buried before they start their abuse .

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I understood it as Americans can inherit a foreign title from a relative who is a foreign national as it would be granted by the other country but not inherit a title from an American relative as that would be the US granting the title.

No that's not the case.For example for many generations the Lords Fairfax of Cameron,out of Virginia, were American citizens with the title handed down from father to son.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

If she was so noble, she should have disowned and condemned the actions of her evil son who started a war based on lies and ruined the lives of millions.

how do you know she didn't in private?

Edited by sandrabbit

1 minute ago, saakura said:

She should have been shouting from the rooftop and legally disowned the idiot son.

you've got a huge hard on for this why?. almost no mother would do that, have a chill pill and go and have a beer in a bar as this is taking you over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, saakura said:

She should have been shouting from the rooftop and legally disowned the idiot son.

Maybe, but nobody said she was a saint, and most people place value on loyalty to your children, even when very flawed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

you've got a huge hard on for this why?. almost no mother would do that, have a chill pill and go and have a beer in a bar as this is taking you over.

And you seem to have a hard on for the cowboy Bush...

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe, but nobody said she was a saint, and most people place value on loyalty to your children, even when very flawed. 

When your son is the supreme leader of the strongest nation on earth and his every word & action has tremendous repurcussions for the world, one should not be blinded by blood loyalty. 

When your son is the supreme leader of the strongest nation on earth and his every word & action has tremendous repurcussions for the world, one should not be blinded by blood loyalty. 

are you Yakusa as well?

2 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

no along with Blair I think he's a possible war criminal so get off your horse.

I am not on any high horse. Just because a person is dead does not mean you talk only about her good side and remain silent on her weak points.

I am not on any high horse. Just because a person is dead does not mean you talk only about her good side and remain silent on her weak points.

well it sure doesn't sound like it, just leave the topic if you feel that way. are you going to attack everyone who disagrees with you till you fall asleep?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandrabbit said:

well it sure doesn't sound like it, just leave the topic if you feel that way. are you going to attack everyone who disagrees with you till you fall asleep?

Well you are the only one who seems to both agree & disagree. So off i go to sleep. 

• Like 1

This thread just goes to show how many posters on TV have no "class" at all.  The troll posts that had to be removed, the back and forth posting on the merits or lack thereof of the Bush family and Barbara Bush are truly disgusting.  Just goes to show the number of low class people that really exist on the internet. 

• Like 1

Though not a fan of the Bush family...had the pleasure of meeting and speaking at some length with Mrs. Bush (and hubby former Pres G. H. W. Bush). She was a lovely lady. Very kind and sweet...simply lovely. :402: 

(He was OK too, but she was delightful)

• Like 1

the Bush males have a lot to answer for, but this thread is about Barbara Bush, not her husband or sons.
Please show a lit respect for a well loved lady.

I agree. While I align myself to the GOP, I don’t always agree with all their positions, and also agree that there were issues that Pres. Bush, IMHO, got wrong... but... speaking specifically to the late Mrs. Bush, who I met briefly once in Dallas, I found her to be very likable and someone who made you fell very “at ease” when you talked with her.

While I get she was a large part and player in the larger Bush family, from which several key political figures were created, I don’t hold her to any of the “rights” or “wrongs” of those people. I judge her as a stand-alone.. and one that I myself, found to be warm, friendly and very disarming from word one.

I wish her to be remembered fondly.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

One of the nicest First Ladies in my memory.

Renowned for a feisty tongue, which I always found quite sweet from a lady that looked like everyone's Grandma, or Mrs Fields!

One of my favorite quotes, can't remember when it was, but when asked 'why' GW was the way he was, she smiled and replied..."Probably because I smoked and drank while I was pregnant"

She'll be remembered for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

One of the nicest First Ladies in my memory.

Renowned for a feisty tongue, which I always found quite sweet from a lady that looked like everyone's Grandma, or Mrs Fields!

One of my favorite quotes, can't remember when it was, but when asked 'why' GW was the way he was, she smiled and replied..."Probably because I smoked and drank while I was pregnant"

She'll be remembered for sure.

Yeah, and a case where the grey hair really WORKED for her. On the other hand when she was first lady, the visuals were kind of odd as she looked more like the first MOTHER! 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 6:00 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Though not a fan of the Bush family...had the pleasure of meeting and speaking at some length with Mrs. Bush (and hubby former Pres G. H. W. Bush). She was a lovely lady. Very kind and sweet...simply lovely. :402: 

(He was OK too, but she was delightful)

I mirror your sentiments and just now wonder how long President Bush will live after the passing of his nearly lifelong companion.

I can't help but imagine another Carrie Fisher / Debbie Reynolds scenario in the making.   I hope I'm wrong.