Visiting Thailand - Shark attack is the least of your worries!

webfact

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Plenty sharks are all around when you're in Thailand and i'm not referring to the ones in the seas, from the tricksters, scammers, overcharging public transports and shopkeepers to the downright petty criminals and let's not forget those charming ladyboys out there, and Oh yeah, the police in Thailand aren't your friend either...

I suppose you have a point, but that's only because most of the tricksters and scammers all head for the most popular tourist areas.

Up where I live the vast majority of Thais are really honest, decent people.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JOC said:

With a topic like "Visiting-Thailand-shark-attack-is the-least-of your-worries"     what did you expect?

This is an invitation to Thai-bashing.....:coffee1:

yet nobody says anything when it is Australians or Americans or British or Russian or Israelis getting bashed. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Acemaker said:

I dont understand why you are even a Member here, there are bound to be far more negative posts in here re Thailand than positive, and yet day after day you come in here bleating about Members who dont feel the same as you do about this country, getting all upset about it, you are virtually a lone voice in here, the fact that Thais can do no wrong in your eyes is nieve beyond belief!  there are people in here that have been beaten up by Mobs of cowardly Thais, been mugged, Robbed, scammed,Family Members, Loved ones killed in Road Accidents by Drunken Bonehead Thais and yet you come in here constantly tarring all Brits with the same Brush, and i know for a fact that you are British yourself! you should be ashamed of yourself, Go somewhere else or find another Corner to Cry in.

Judging from your list of grievances I would say you might want to consider relocating. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

You're much more likely to win the lottery.

Presume the talk is about the Thai Lottery, and in that case it makes me feel really safe, because that's probably the game with lowest winner odds in the whole World...:wink:

4 hours ago, JOC said:

With a topic like "Visiting-Thailand-shark-attack-is the-least-of your-worries"     what did you expect?

This is an invitation to Thai-bashing.....:coffee1:

How dare you criticize that which cant be:thumbsup:

20 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

They got hippo in Thailand now ??

Holy s.....

Saw em in some crappy zoo near Bangkok in some  squalid conditions and then theres  the ones taking human form round here, usually female and on a motorbike...or at least it seems that way now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

I' m amazed so many on here still manage to live in Thailand given what you erroneously believe..

The only time I have felt remotely uncomfortable in thailand us when in the presence of expat and tourist brits. Most are fine but a significant are nothing short of thugs too old to go to spain, cyprus etc and or cant get a woman back in old Blighty. 

Not to mention it is much cheaper to leave.

Most medium to large british cities/ towns are war zones on weekend evenings and nights.

However I ( unlike many on here ) wont be so rude and disrespectful to suggest that because drunkeness and violence are rife in the uk that all brits are drunkards and thugs.

My view is that there is good and bad everywhere.

I certainly wouldnt be so rude as to move to another country and then spend my time bagging and criticising that country that has so graciously and kindly allowed me to live there.

They are all drunken thugs, dont beat about the bush man!

11 hours ago, webfact said:

"They can misunderstand thinking your foot is a fish and have a nibble. Then they realize - that's not a fish and off they swim".

I have a feeling that Great Whites and Bull sharks actually don't understand what he claims. :whistling:

Injuries due to shark attack year to date:  1

Injuries due to traffic accidents year to date:  Over a quarter of a million

I'll go with the odds.  Swimming in the sea is not off the table.

Maybe not a high probability but someone has just been bitten and sustained a serious injury, so he would do better not to try and dismiss the risk in such a cavalier way, if he wants to be taken seriously. Apart from sharks Hua Hin is plagued by jelly fish and the risk of getting stung by one is a lot higher than the risk of shark bite, especially in June and July. This can be a very painful experience and take some months to clear up, leaving permanent scars. Don’t ask me how I know this. 

The sea sea is murky and not very appealing in Hua Hin anyway. Take my advice and swim in a pool there.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Maybe not a high probability but someone has just been bitten and sustained a serious injury, so he would do better not to try and dismiss the risk in such a cavalier way, if he wants to be taken seriously. Apart from sharks Hua Hin is plagued by jelly fish and the risk of getting stung by one is a lot higher than the risk of shark bite, especially in June and July. This can be a very painful experience and take some months to clear up, leaving permanent scars. Don’t ask me how I know this. 

The sea sea is murky and not very appealing in Hua Hin anyway. Take my advice and swim in a pool there.

Well said, wouldn’t want any kids getting hurt.

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMHO the roads are the biggest concern. Although defensive driving strategies do work here like everywhere else.

I'm more worried about falangs than Thais - some are complete nutters.

Fortunately there are far less farang than Thai. Now I am not a mathematician but it would appear the risk is lower for farang. :thumbsup:

You're joking about defensive driving? The biggest practice of 'defensive driving' in the kingdom is drivers on their own private property NOT on public roads!

Edited by lvr181
Incomplete post

35 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

You're joking about defensive driving? The biggest practice of 'defensive driving' in the kingdom is drivers on their own private property NOT on public roads!

I'm favorably impressed by the defensive driving skills in Thailand.  It would, of course, be better if drivers weren't required to dodge each other because they drive in the wrong direction, don't practice lane etiquette, and have a loose concept of right of way.  But what we would call a close call and talk about for weeks back home, happens 100 times a mile in downtown BKK.  And yet, they rarely touch metal.  That takes crazy skills.

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I suppose you have a point, but that's only because most of the tricksters and scammers all head for the most popular tourist areas.

Up where I live the vast majority of Thais are really honest, decent people.

Suppose without drifting off the topic, I will say... 

You are lucky to have a great village life. 

We tried.. Spent heaps on the family home. 

Used the relations to do the work. 

Cousin brother uncle etc. 

Paid cash every day. 

Bangkok rates to keep them happy. 

Beer after work each night. 

The work was par standard. 

Always running out of material. 

Some weird ideas for building inherited father to son. 

NFI... Sums it up. 

Good at pay wage and what constitutes a good days work. 

I'm an engineering estimator. 

Work in the big world and have to be with in 2%.

These guys are within about 30%.

Used to the labour side, but no idea how to cost a job. 

Concrete is 21% slump 

Chicken wire for reo. 

Edge strip footings 100mm.

Average floor thickness three inches. 

No good arguing. Is it?? 

In the end we stopped. 

Turned the house around. 

New roof 

About six more rooms. 

Two new Hong Nam. 

Buddha room. 

Rewired to standard with earth. 

About 500,000 spend and even the Thai wife was disappointed with. 

Looked at buying a few Rai and build a new one for her. 

All the relatives descended and came up with farang prices. 

It went from farang house in the village, to farang ki nok. 

She disowned the family and hasn't been back to the house since.. 

16 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Paid cash every day. 

NFI... Sums it up. 

Concrete is 21% slump 

Chicken wire for reo. 

No good arguing. Is it?? 

In the end we stopped. 

Turned the house around. 

New roof 

About six more rooms. 

Two new Hong Nam. 

Buddha room. 

I think you are trying to say that the risk from getting overly entwined with Isaan bar girls and their families is greater than the risk from the Thai sharks in the sea.

• Haha 1

I have never heard of anyone else getting bitten by sharks in Hua Hin but I have heard of many people getting nasty stings from pernicious varieties of jelly fish there, as mentioned by another poster above.  One friend's daughter was stung and badly scarred on the stomach as a little girl.  When she was a teenager she was too shy about the scars to wear a bikini.  A Thai friend told me that when he was at university he went swimming there with a group of student friends and one of the girls was stung and scarred badly in the face.   

The water is very dirty there, so you can't see the jelly fish until it is too late and often the most venomous varieties are tiny little things. Certainly not suitable for small children who could go into sudden shock and die from a nasty sting. Be warned!

55 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Paid cash every day. 

NFI... Sums it up. 

Concrete is 21% slump 

Chicken wire for reo. 

No good arguing. Is it?? 

In the end we stopped. 

Turned the house around. 

New roof 

About six more rooms. 

Two new Hong Nam. 

Buddha room. 

Good story, but everyone sees things differently, and we all have different experiences, and

maybe your own attitude helps, I have had absolutely no negative experiences with my wife or any of her family, and most of them live nearby, only problems I have ever had here has been with Farangs, and even that is far in the minority, and the odd minority have had drinking, or in one case drug problems. Now I am the only Farang left in my village or nearby,  the rest have either died or moved away mostly through marriage problems, and when I want Farang company, I have to get on my motorbike and travel.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:45 AM, impulse said:

I wouldn't worry so much about the bite itself as I would worry about the odds of it getting infected in the sewage laden water, or getting creamed on the roads on the way to the hospital.

The sharks’ teeth may also be laden with infectious bacteria like non-venomous sea snakes, monitor lizards, Komodo dragons etc.

On 19/04/2018 at 11:35 AM, possum1931 said:

Good story, but everyone sees things differently, and we all have different experiences, and

maybe your own attitude helps, I have had absolutely no negative experiences with my wife or any of her family, and most of them live nearby, only problems I have ever had here has been with Farangs, and even that is far in the minority, and the odd minority have had drinking, or in one case drug problems. Now I am the only Farang left in my village or nearby,  the rest have either died or moved away mostly through marriage problems, and when I want Farang company, I have to get on my motorbike and travel.

It's sad...

No wanna hijack the thread, but. 

Went well for a while and really enjoyed the life in the village. 

Yes, spending heaps as we do. 

I think once the wife had seen Oz, she realized that she was getting short changed by the family. 

And instead of having me put a lot into her family home, it could have been a home for her. 

She couldn't complain about it because it was family and friends. 

I know that I was conned a little bit. 

But it's not done, complaining. 

As you probably know already. 

The silence descends. 

They walk away and say nothing. 

And the lady goes and pays them extra behind your back... Haha. 

Enough said, we moved on. :) 

• Like 1