Thai Health Ministry warns people against using mobile devices before sleep

webfact

Public Health Ministry warns people against using mobile devices before sleep

mp.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 19th April 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has warned people that using mobile devices before going to bed could lead to diabetes and high blood pressure. against using mobile phones before going to bed as pokesperson of the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) has warned people against using a mobile phone before going to bed as it could cause diabetes and high blood pressure. 

The Spokeswoman of the Ministry of Public Health, Dr. Panpimol Wipulakorn, said exposure to blue light at night can be harmful to human health. The blue light can be emitted through digital devices, such as mobile phones and tablets. 

Dr. Panpimol said exposure to blue light suppresses the secretion of melatonin, a hormone that influences circadian rhythms. Light at night can disrupt people's sleep, while a lack of sleep increases the risk of become obese, diabetes, and cardiovascular problems. 

She has advised people to refrain from using digital devices, such as cell phones, for at least one hour before going to bed and install an application that filters the blue light.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-19
  • Haha 1

How can I find the same news article in Thai? I'd like to get my family to read it.

I can find the article on the NNT website in English, but clicking on 'Thai' doesn't go the the Thai version, but goes to the Thai homepage.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

She has advised people to refrain from using digital devices, such as cell phones, for at least one hour before going to bed

One hour without a Facebook update..........oh COME ON!........... You can't be serious!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Light from mobile devices is not the the only disruptor to circadian rhythms.

Light from any source (most of which which covers the full spectrum from blue to red), including TV, and artificial lighting in buildings and on streets, has been affecting circadian rhythms for several generations now. It has long been known that it can affect the secretion of melatonin, which does have a role in regulating the metabolism....... thus having a role in the development of metabolic conditions, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardio-vascular problems, which have vastly increased in Thailand within the space of a generation. However it is far from the main factor in the development of such conditions. 

A relatively sedentary lifestyle and over indulgence in fat and sugar laden food are far more significant factors.

• Like 2

Not just the light danger, but additional, and more serious danger from poor head and neck position which can stress the nerves, bones, discs, and muscles. The bed should be a device free zone.... with some “special” exemptions!

• Like 1

The story is partly true. But as already mentioned it is not only blue light. Any light source from phone, TV or ambient light can disturb your sleeping pattern or make it harder to fall asleep. Also it gives some input to your brain which you might be thinking instead of falling asleep.
For me take a break in means of a shower and then go to sleep without using the phone or TV again.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

How can I find the same news article in Thai? I'd like to get my family to read it.

I can find the article on the NNT website in English, but clicking on 'Thai' doesn't go the the Thai version, but goes to the Thai homepage.

Try this link:

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_th/news/news_detail/TNSOC6104180010081

• Thanks 1

Love IT!!!  They have a poke person now! Hehehe.. Its the same guy that announced the cure for Ebola AIDs Cancer and other miracles of Thai life. I don't mean to poke holes in his theory but he should pokeperson a bit less or there will be a stampede of real disease sufferers to migrate to Thailand for their health care. Don't know why Prawit the watch had his treatment abroad while he could have got the treatment to cure his disease for the price of one of his confiscated ooops I mean borrowed watches!!

8 hours ago, Aj Mick said:

Light from mobile devices is not the the only disruptor to circadian rhythms.

Light from any source (most of which which covers the full spectrum from blue to red), including TV, and artificial lighting in buildings and on streets, has been affecting circadian rhythms for several generations now. It has long been known that it can affect the secretion of melatonin, which does have a role in regulating the metabolism....... thus having a role in the development of metabolic conditions, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardio-vascular problems, which have vastly increased in Thailand within the space of a generation. However it is far from the main factor in the development of such conditions. 

A relatively sedentary lifestyle and over indulgence in fat and sugar laden food are far more significant factors.

American junk food has not helped. When I first came here there was no McDonald's and no fat chicks.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, snowgard said:

It is as nonsense as the Thai myth of not using a cellphone during a thunderstorm, because otherwise you can be struck by lightning (when they sit under a tree).

A couple of years ago my wife said there was a woman using her mobile phone at home during a thunderstorm. She was struck by lightning and died. It happened, that was indeed true.

However, when reading the entire article, it went on to say she was charging the mobile while using it. The house mains supply was hit by lightning, which travelled along the house wiring to her charger, striking her.

Trying to convince any Thai there were two separate incidents was a losing battle.

It's pointless trying to explain that lighting can't cheat the laws of physics by travelling through the radio spectrum, as the majority don't understand about it anyway.

Edited by bluesofa

On 4/19/2018 at 6:35 AM, bluesofa said:

Not the article, but one that is relevant:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180424-what-i-learnt-by-living-without-artificial-light

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2018 at 1:43 AM, webfact said:

The Ministry of Public Health has warned people that using mobile devices before going to bed could lead to diabetes and high blood pressure.

Hmm, is it the device that causes these things or the lifestyle of the user.

Let's face it, the phone is smart by definition...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2018 at 5:43 AM, webfact said:

Public Health Ministry warns people against using mobile devices before sleep

A more valuable warning by the health department would be against using your mobile while driving.

Texting.jpg

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

A more valuable warning by the health department would be against using your mobile while driving.

Unnecessary... There's a law against that already!