Thai taxi driver said his life is being ruined after English teacher posts damning clip

webfact

The taxi driver's reaction is pathetic.
Adhere to the law and you're fine.

We foreigners also have to obey the immigration laws of this country.
Yet I didn't see or hear of someone making a scene like this...

• Thanks 1

Honest, law abiding, peaceful people are most likely to have an honest, law abiding, peaceful life.

For every ugly, confrontational, dishonest and unlawful situation in my life, I had a hand in it; and often I was the main player.

The taxi driver, tears and all, could do well to take a self-inventory and move on. Unfortunately for some, the behaviors that serve no good seem to be very popular.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Surely it is with pay from YouTube ad royalties. Pay coming from outside of Thailand.  Actual work while sitting in Thailand. 

Has anyone heard of internet work jumped on by the authorities? I think it's classed as in the cloud and not in Thailand.  

It seems hard to argue that it would be classed as being in the cloud.  The work product (the videos) are on the cloud, but the work done to produce the work product was done on the ground in Thailand.

I haven't heard of internet work jumped on by the authorities, but I'd guess they would view it as a slam dunk if they ever tried to bring action against a Thailand based Youtube entrepreneur.

Posts against forum rules have been removed.

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.
Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

He cooked his goose right up front by asking about a flat 500Baht fare. IMHO that labels him immediately as a tricky dishonest unethical taxi driver. 

I travel often in Bkk by taxi. Often about 2.5 K from my long-stay hotel to my university. I stand at the mouth of my hotel soi on Ramkhamhaeng road, and stop taxis and get in. I state clearly in Thai where I want to go, the standard fare is between 45 and 51Baht, normally around 5 minutes trip. But many times I instantly get from the drive, often rudely, sam roi, sam roi (300). I ask politely to use the meter, usually refused sometimes with rude comments.

Many drivers will start driving immediately, no waiting for the discussion to finish. I tell them to stop and I get out. Over several years a couple of times they have refused to stop so I check if there's any traffic coming up from behind and open the door full open.  That gets their attention immediately.

A couple of times I've pointed at a policeman along the route and asked them to stop to talk to the police, suddenly it all reverts to meter and politeness.

Worst example of all - last year my uni had a visiting female professor from Germany, probably 40 yo, looks 25 yo. She had never been to Asia or Thailand before, cannot speak one word of Thai. By prior arrangement the hotel sent a private car to pick her up at Swampy.

The hotel sent a Thai staff member with her in a taxi on the first morning to go to the uni (5 minute trip,no problems) and wrote a note for her to give to the driver in the afternoon to come back to the hotel.

About 5.00 pm she went outside the uni and hailed a taxi and gave the driver the note with destination, detailed address and hotel phone number and mentioned that the normal fare was around 50Baht.

Taxi driver said something in Thai which she didn't understand, eventually taxi driver wrote 500 on a piece of paper. She tried to get out of the taxi but driver locked the doors.

By chance she notices several of her new students (all speak excellent English and of course Thai) coming out of the uni gate, very close to the cab. She banked on the window and yelled and waved and the students noticed her and came immediately. She yelled that the driver wanted 500baht.

Students asked the driver to unlock the door, he refused, two of the male students quickly stood immediately in front of the cab and two behind while another student called a hotline number. Two policemen (seperately) appeared quickly, listened to the students and then spoke to the driver. Within a couple of minutes the police handcuffed the driver, they had also called for a police vehicle to take him away and called the company which owns the taxi to come within 10 minutes and recover their vehicle.

One of the students lived quite close, he quickly went home and got the family car and all the students involved went with the lady professor to the police station. Then they took her home to my hotel and stayed with her for a couple of hours. Bottom line she was shocked, felt intimidated and she was frightened.

The students found the private number of the dean of the uni, the lady professor called and said she was not prepared to continue the course and would fly back to Europe as soon as possible. The students asked her to stay and complete the course (total time about 20 further days), they offered to have 3 students (always 2 boys and one girl) pick her up at the hotel in the morning and same thing to take her back to the hotel late afternoon, and go with her if sh wanted to go shopping etc. She stayed and flew home late evening of the last day of the course, students took her to the airport along with a senior uni admin' officer and stayed with her until she went into the passport departure area. 

Further, the uni had an ongoing agreement with the uni in Europe for student and professor exchange. The uni in Europe cancelled the arrangement immediately. 

And yes, there are many good polite taxi drivers, no attempt at cheating.  

Why did the Uni in Europe cancel their agreement> Looks like the Uni here went out of their way to support her after the incident.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I swear I never experienced this since I moved here.  Like I said before, 10 years ago it happened to me maybe 30% of the time, but I guess I was an easy target with a huge backpack. I get my rides mostly from the airport, Ramkhamheang road, fashion island, Seacon, Mega Bagna, and On Nut.....4 years on it didn't happen once the taxi driver didn't turn the meter on. Swear.

Edit

I don't speak thai, but I do always give my location in Thai.

It depends on the location. Bargaining doesn't often happen out that way but they can still refuse fares. Lower sukhumvit at night I can go through 10 taxis all demanding 200 or 300 baht before I find a metered one. When I lived in suk soi 11 I had three agree to a meter, drove around the corner waiting until I got comfortable, then say no meter. While it does happen to Thais as well, it's obvious why the scummy ones all hang out in the farang areas. 

Edited by lennois
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter if you get paid or not.  If you work without a work permit, even without any pay, you are still in violation of the Alien Working Act
We are saying the same thing. He is working and should have a work permit or at least not advertise himself like this. It is the article that refers him as not getting paid.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

Ooooookay ... but surely you realize that social media also open wide the doors for fact-manipulation, slander, one-sided stories, and other such niceties ?

You know, for instance, that an alarming (and growing) number of suicides among schoolchildren is caused by concerted mudslinging campaigns organized by their charming schoolmates on social media ?

I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with you, and yes, social media do help bring out wrongdoings which would otherwise remain conveniently under the rug. In countries where the police and military tend to assume that the law is for others, not for them, social media can be a blessing. But let's keep in mind that there's also a dark side to this new medium and it can easily ruin the life of a totally innocent person. Even Mark Zuckerberg is aware of that (the question being : does he give a damn?).

Can't stop the train Man, its thundering down the tracks, world wide. :jap:

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

"Danny Mac made a video about his experience travelling from the airport to his condo after a trip to Chiang Mai on Tuesday"

He was in Bangkok.

500 baht is dirt cheap from CM to Bangkok.

Danny Mac looks like a real "quality" person too.

9 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Full thumbs up to the english teacher for having exposed yet another rascal and cheating Bangkok Taxi driver, for whom one has absolutely no sympathy.

Speak for your self. BTW would you let your children be trained by a 'teacher's who looked like him? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

Speak for your self. BTW would you let your children be trained by a 'teacher's who looked like him? 

And for which company did you drive a taxi back home ?:whistling:

Nevetheless, your problem my dear fellow,  if you enjoy getting ripped off by the cheats who drive  BKK taxis...or perhaps you never actually took a taxi in Bangkok ?:welcomeani:

And last of all, if you judge people by their looks, I think you still have a long way to go (and not in a taxi) :cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Nevetheless, your problem my dear fellow,  if you enjoy getting ripped off by the cheats who drive  BKK taxis...or perhaps you never actually took a taxi in Bangkok ?:welcomeani:

And last of all, if you judge people by their looks, I think you still have a long way to go (and not in a taxi) :cheesy:

Yeah creeps never look creepy lol

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I haven't been ripped off by a taxi driver since the early 90s when metres were fist introduced in Bangkok. I drove in London but not a Hackney cab. Proffesional teachers are not covered in tramp stamps and tats. Would you want him anywhere near your kids? Does his website have adverts or sponsored links? If so he is breaking the law. ..Let's see how this publicity pans out. Yes I do judge people by appearances. People get prison tats to make a statement about what They are, a bank manager,soldier,engineer all dress differently..So you can judge a lot about them.

I urge everyone to use their phone voice recorder to record taxis refusing to take a passenger and trying to stiff them by asking a set fee, which in my more than five years here I have been asked for several hundred times. There are many honest taxis out there too. The main culprits seem to be the ones who park in wait in Silom an Sukumvit by the side of the road which should be stopped by police.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, smedly said:

This charade  is heading for a defamation law suit 

watch what happens next

Indeed, a defamation suit is likely. Even ordinary Thais can bring such suits, if a lawyer feels it is something he can win. In the Thai justice system, the Thai people nearly always win.Best to suck it up and keep your money than end up paying off a taxi driver for injury to reputation.

11 hours ago, coulson said:

Too bad. Act appropriately next time, and thereafter......maybe your *career* will get back on track.

This Sheila needs to dry his eyes

OK....but as this story says there are two sides to the story.

Your reaction and lack of compassion only reflects on you.

• Like 1

The part about his life being ruined and the tears are pretty pitiful. He's not a movie star, politician, doctor or CEO, he's a freakin' taxi driver. Nobody knows or cares, they just want a ride from point A to B. This could actually be an opportunity to reflect, read Dale Carnegie and transform into the greatest taxi driver in Thailand bringing in more tips than he could ever imagine. Well probably not but it wont cost him one baht.

• Like 1