Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thais put on a heavy facade, so it's no wonder it takes time to see behind the scenes. These days it's a bit quicker as the dirty laundry is all over social media.

You should try LA... :cheesy:

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, moe666 said:

Because they never had it to start with

i didn't think about that but i think you're on to something.  I've live many places and  liked most places i've lived. With very few exceptions. So I left pronto. Why stay and be unhappy?   Thailand just happens to be my favorite so far.

21 hours ago, DrTuner said:

With the natural resources, coastlines,etc some African countries have, it's a shame they can't get their act together. The Chinese are taking advantage and buying the continent. Not an improvement, either.

Few examples please?  South Africa is out.  White 3rd generation farmers are suffering genocide there.  Which areas do you think would be nice?

Just now, Mario666 said:

BTW what is the record on TVF? As you know I am a relevant newcomer?....Ha, ha, ha? :cheesy:

I'm not sure.  i check in rarely these days but there have been some very long ones.  Usually the "Thaibashers" :drunk:

I think Thais and Thainess are somewhat separate issues. 
All Thais of course have some degree of "Thainess", but it is really something the big wigs trot out when trying to control the populace. The definition of just what it is seems to change regularly.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, Wang Lalker said:

t think you are confusing "Thais and "Thainess?"" with emmigration officers and their ongoing verbal abuse and harassment

not to be just disagreeable but I've only had good experiences at Thai immigration offices.  One day I had the Home Pro add paper under my arm and the Imm officer asked to look at it.  I showed him the cordless drills I was looking at and told him I had a dewalt in the states but I thought the Makitas were better here.  We had a good long chat about tools.  The <deleted> in the cue looked like the top of their heads were gonna blow off.  great entertainment!

1 minute ago, Bill Miller said:

I think Thais and Thainess are somewhat separate issues. 
All Thais of course have some degree of "Thainess", but it is really something the big wigs trot out when trying to control the populace. The definition of just what it is seems to change regularly.

I've never heard on "Thainess" except for here on TV.  would it be called Yankness in the states and Wankness in the UK ?:cheesy:

Back on topic.  I've actually learned a bit from this thread.  Without being a Thai apologist, I really do like the place and the people.  The fact that some of those that resent being here are quiet  is rather Blatantly revealing. :whistling:

I still do the UK lottery from here in Thailand,(yes I know,all sorted)   say a prayer  'please God,let this be the last day I have to be here'  lol    but you get the pitch,bags baggage,dogs too,maybe Gf ,  outa here like yesterday

1 minute ago, altcar bob said:

I still do the UK lottery from here in Thailand,(yes I know,all sorted)   say a prayer  'please God,let this be the last day I have to be here'  lol    but you get the pitch,bags baggage,dogs too,maybe Gf ,  outa here like yesterday

So you're stuck here because of 1 money, 2 GF, 3 pets?

Lovely Sunshine ( try Western Europe for the last 6 miserable months) , very friendly people ( compared to most countries)  , smiling good looking ladies, relaxed  bars, great food , nice beaches,  more outdoors exercise, blue sea, reasonable prices for beer, reasonable standard of living , petrol cheap, great for over 60s as treated like anyone else ( less ageism) , and so on.

Just avoid alcoholism, boredom, drink driving, bad long term relationships ( i.e.marriage )  and end it early ( you know when its not right)  with the wrong person, chill out, smile and think of wet, cloudy miserable commutes in depressing areas of Europe ( not all). Be careful what you do and boy you are lucky and back in  Europe they envy you.  

I guess for some, over time, the initial positives become everyday events, therefore the positives no longer weigh against the negatives, combine the inability to regenerate new positives, the negatives become more intrusive and create discontent. Subsequently downhill all the way to the airport.

Later as the departees still require a Thailand 'fix' they become the 'experts' on Tvisa offering 'advice' and 'constructive criticism' rather than quietly accept they have failed, where others have succeeded, in creating a pleasant enjoyable life in Thailand.

On reading the input of the past failures, those who are currently enduring the same process within Thailand join the dots and throw in their vociferous agreement, repeatedly highlighting the negatives that apparently make their lives in Thailand less tolerable.

Thus created a rank of people who give the appearance on the forum of being in Thailand and dislike Thais and Thainess.

Of course those who have settled into a comfortable enjoyable lifestyle in Thailand are aware everything is not perfect, most however still retain the positives that enticed them, or have indeed generated alternatives. Rather than dwell on negatives, these people deal with them as they arise, while working to nullify their affect on daily life.

Archived