Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

11 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

OP / People moan and complain on here, mostly Tongue in Cheek, its a bit of a Laugh, people like you get all upset about it because people in here are taking the Piss out of your beloved Thailand, what is posted in here on a Daily basis is not a true reflection of how people are feeling living here, and for you to make such a sweeping generalisation is ridiculous, and quite frankly if people live here and feel they want to complain then thats their business, who are you to criticise how they feel.  

Who are you to question the OP?

He brings up a legit observation/question I think.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Who are you to question the OP?

He brings up a legit observation/question I think.

Thanks man.  And there was no criticism intended. Really more of an academic question the reality is at least from the way I see it,  the criticism of the Thai government, Thai people, and Thailand in general far outweighs the comments of appreciation of Thailand and I just wonder why those kinds of people would want to come here or spend any amount of time here. Correct me and show me where that's not accurate. The corruption in Thailand compared to my country the USA Looks like "Mr. Rogers neighborhood"   For the record I am not a Thai apologist I just happen to be a person that gets along very well with Thailand there are people in the system here. Anyway like I said I really was just an academic question and I'm grateful for all the replies. And special thanks to the Mods for allowing this open exchange of ideas to continue...

1 minute ago, Mario666 said:

So has everyone finished?.....thank <deleted> for that! :smile:

This is an open forum with an open exchange of ideas and opinions if you don't like it please don't participate and contribute useless comments. Thank you

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

This is an open forum with an open exchange of ideas and opinions if you don't like it please don't participate and contribute useless comments. Thank you

Hey joeyg....when dd you lose your sense of humour???? :smile::smile::smile:

I've got to hit the road so maybe more later. But I wanted to say nothing is more important to me than everyone having the right to state their opinion. However when there is malice or acrid  unwarranted criticism of a people IMHO that I do have a special affection for, it Doesn't sit well with me. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to say it. Just like it doesn't mean I don't have the right to question it.  

1 minute ago, Mario666 said:

Hey joeyg....when dd you lose your sense of humour???? :smile::smile::smile:

Didn't as far as I know. Everybody tells me I'm still the life of the party and why don't I ever take anything seriously... 

21 hours ago, xylophone said:
I can, however to me it's just another name for stupidity!

Riding a motorbike with the crash helmet in the front basket, letting 12-year-old children drive motorbikes, ghost riding day and night, disregard for the law and the laws not being enforced by the useless BIB.

The list of traffic stupidity could go on, however a couple of other things to throw into the mix, like waiting until the high season to repair a road which has been in need of repair for some time; the inability to be able to do something simple like using a roundabout; putting up with corruption at just about all levels of government; saving face, which is another way of being able to lie without feeling bad about it; immigration officers having different interpretations about immigration law and procedures; Thais believing the nonsense which they are fed from on high  etc.............don't want to take up the whole page, but I'm sure you get the picture.

On the other hand, I don't dislike Thais and find them on the whole, very friendly.

I came to Thailand possibly like many other expats because it's a place where I could retire early and live comfortably off my savings without any stress, and in a climate which is for the most part, bearable.

Add in friends, nightlife, vibrancy and selection of restaurants from around the world and these things offset the need to have to put up with "Thainess".

Your third paragraph from the end is something I have been saying for a few years now.

I get on well with the locals , splendid chaps , but how many car drivers can I sit with  ? Even the ones that are not dangerous are annoying with their bad driving habits.

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Didn't as far as I know. Everybod

y tells me I'm still the life of the party and why don't I ever take anything seriously... 

Well I was joking but it obviously went over your head....Must be my English sense of humour :smile:...Sorry!

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Your third paragraph from the end is something I have been saying for a few years now.

I get on well with the locals , splendid chaps , but how many car drivers can I sit with  ? Even the ones that are not dangerous are annoying with their bad driving habits.

Just for the sake of comparison compare these things to the "dangerous  bad driving habits."  of Thais.  Their impact on human suffering if fractional compared to the "big boys." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_war_crimes

14 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I just wonder why those kinds of people would want to come here or spend any amount of time here.

These wingers and whiners are life blood of ThaiVisa. They keep the visitor count up so good for business. 

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

1. I am British, so we  complain for a living.

2. I love the place and the people, but would like some of the annoyances, that would be so easy and obvious to fix, to disappear so I can concentrate on complaining about the really serious issues! 

Yep, like it, Ha! I have always said that in general the ordinary fella just realises that he's not getting rid of problems just changing from type to another. Ha!

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

These wingers and whiners are life blood of ThaiVisa. They keep the visitor count up so good for business. 

I know.  I didn't want to say it.  Thanks for your candor...

22 hours ago, DipStick said:

Using this theory, it would appear that 99% on here must be grumpy old men

No, far from  99% there are thousands of members and it is always the same few dozens of bashing members, every single day whatever the subject, congratulating each other with dozens of like for their ridiculous and bad faith bashing comments.

Just now, Tchooptip said:

No, far from  99% there are thousands of members and it is always the same few dozens of bashing members, every single day whatever the subject, congratulating each other with dozens of like for their ridiculous and bad faith bashing comments.

Well said.  Very succinct summarization. 

1 minute ago, Tchooptip said:

You never moaned/ criticised other members?

Now please answer truthfully.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A lot of negative guys on thaivisa, they should consider going back home if they aren't happy

Rain, snow, hail or sunshine, they would be grumpy in any country they lived ? 

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well here is a thought for posters on this thread.

If cranky old buggers like me had nothing to moan about, what would we find to do all day.

Learn the language.  Interact with people.  Count your blessings.  I know it's extreme.  One day at a time.

22 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes, agree.  These kind of people would be just as grumpy and complaining about other people, things, back in their country of birth.  

Very true, but they would have to choose from a variety of targets rather than blaming everything on Thais.

Just now, joeyg said:

Learn the language.  Interact with people.  Count your blessings.  I know it's extreme.  One day at a time.

Well i have learned the language, i do interact with people in our village, i do count my blessings for being alive, me more than most, and yes in my state i do take 1 day at a time.

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Most thais (girls) leaving Thailand, miss home, and it is only one thing making them go abroad, and it is moeney, and safety for future. But I guess if you asked them, the majority would like to live in Thailand.

Im a lucky bastard, I can choose almost any country in the world to live in. They do not have that privelege. Not even Thaksin have that.

Your first paragraph Hummin reminded me of my first flight back to Heathrow after a motorcycle holiday here in 2004.

I spent the journey sitting near a lovely youngish lady. She asked which passport to use on arrival as she had a Thai and English one.   I asked whether she prefered England or Thailand.... ' Thailand '

I thought I might put my arm round her on arrival as if to say to my waiting son in law  ' Look what I have for a suevenir '( my bad spell) , but the other half was waiting and he looked about 70.

3 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

Complaining is everyone's right and part of healthy communication. If my friends complain, I try to help them not complain back that they complain too much. It is not like people are complaining all the time as the op suggests, just when they log onto Thai visa. I would also say that the news stories usuallly call for complaining, so it is easy to get into the complaint mode as soon as you log on. I would assume most complainers on here live relatively happy lives, just that Thai Visa is the place to complain.

Yep I know one like that , He is ok but complains about everything on tv then tells me what he has found to complain about.   If we are out and about it is ' Coffee is too cold / cup is too small / too expensive /too strong '   so now we know where to have a coffee with no complaints.

Archived