Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came here for good looking friendly girls, cheap beer, good food and for the game fishing. The Thai girls are getting fat (you did not see many fat girls 30 years ago), the beer is not really cheap any longer, the food is full of pesticide and the commercial fishing fleet has killed the game fishing, so am I wrong if I complain about their "Thainess" and what they have done to their own country?     

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know - I tend to avoid people who bitch about Thailand and Thai people. Quite happy to bitch about falangs, though.

What about people like me?

I bitch about everybody/ everything.

A lot of the "grumpies" could not afford to live back home or have a much better standard of living here.

eg: how many over 50's live here that cannot or will not pay for any form of medical insurance &

then complain like hell that a private hospital has gouged them

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 minutes ago, colinneil said:
What about people like me?
I bitch about everybody/ everything.

It's not good to be around negative moany people, they probably avoid you, making you even more negative and avoiding you even more

Obviously you missed the humour in my post, ask anybody who knows me, i am the most positive person going.

22 hours ago, xylophone said:
I can, however to me it's just another name for stupidity!

Riding a motorbike with the crash helmet in the front basket, letting 12-year-old children drive motorbikes, ghost riding day and night, disregard for the law and the laws not being enforced by the useless BIB.

The list of traffic stupidity could go on, however a couple of other things to throw into the mix, like waiting until the high season to repair a road which has been in need of repair for some time; the inability to be able to do something simple like using a roundabout; putting up with corruption at just about all levels of government; saving face, which is another way of being able to lie without feeling bad about it; immigration officers having different interpretations about immigration law and procedures; Thais believing the nonsense which they are fed from on high  etc.............don't want to take up the whole page, but I'm sure you get the picture.

On the other hand, I don't dislike Thais and find them on the whole, very friendly.

I came to Thailand possibly like many other expats because it's a place where I could retire early and live comfortably off my savings without any stress, and in a climate which is for the most part, bearable.

Add in friends, nightlife, vibrancy and selection of restaurants from around the world and these things offset the need to have to put up with "Thainess".

Great post, I cannot disagree with any of it.

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not just Thais ride without helmets , drive the wrong way on bikes or drive cars at speed. I’m guilty myself of speeding on the highways. I’ve seen many expats riding motorbikes with kids and no helmets. There are 2 who regularly drop off their kids at my daughters school, both fathers and kids without helmets. 

Have to admit now that I’ve never seen an expat drive a car the wrong way down the road, well not in Thailand anyway ?. All that aside I still love living here after all these years. 

Some folks on here are more 'tuned in to the local channel' than others............ I don't stay in Thailand but I spend 50% of my time here.......

I love Thailand and I love the 'common' Thais.............. for the past 30 plus years I have loved Thailand and I still do love Thailand............

But you can't paint just a single picture of Thailand.......... It has 'many faces'.......... The 'faces' I have loved over the years are the 'common Thais', as well as the beautiful beaches, islands, farm-lands,etc.......... I am from USA..... But all I know is Thailand............ I know and love the country and its common people............ What I DON'T like, is the HiSo people...... The corrupt people and government, the people in charge starting way back to Thaksin and his 'Clan' and right up to the present day ruler who thinks he is 'improving the face of Thailand' while filling his own pockets as the past elected officials have done.............. ALL AT THE EXPENSE of the Thais that I love............ Many on here share parts of my belief and 'berate' Thailand for the same reasons.............. Now days everything is to help the ARMY (and Navy... Submarines) and its 'Chosen Few' and has abandoned it's common people.... Nowhere can you see today any concern for improving education so 15 year old girls have fewer babies that the Thai boys desert and leave to raise babies alone....... because the government wants submarines or "rice schemes' more than taking care of it's population that is 'hurting' for education..........

I am not writing this post to 'hurt' anybody on TV.com........ But just offering some 'food for thought' ....................

Many are angry at 'Thailand' and want to leave but most of them still LOVE some parts of 'Thailand' (Mostly the Issan people)........ But are complaining about the 'trusted care-takers'................ (and 'Grafters') (and maybe a few 'ladyboys'......... LOL........)                        

2 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:
24 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not just Thais ride without helmets , drive the wrong way on bikes or drive cars at speed. I’m guilty myself of speeding on the highways. I’ve seen many expats riding motorbikes with kids and no helmets. There are 2 who regularly dro

"I'm guilty myself of speeding on the highways". Nothing wrong with being maybe a little bit over the speed limit on an empty highway, but just how much over the speed limit do you drive? Can you seriously say you are not a danger to other drivers like most Thais are? If not, then????????????

That's like saying "why keep living when life is so full of sorrow". Complaints are justified. For years, Thailand followed the west until adopting western ways threatened graft and corruption. At that point, it was decided that enough modernization had been achieved.

What does ????????????? mean. Is that the amount of km over the speed limit your driving or has your finger got a stutter ?. There is no a little over the speed limit your either speeding and breaking the law or your not. You can’t be just a little bit dead ?.

43 minutes ago, natway09 said:

A lot of the "grumpies" could not afford to live back home or have a much better standard of living here.

eg: how many over 50's live here that cannot or will not pay for any form of medical insurance &

then complain like hell that a private hospital has gouged them

Me.....5170.gif.1a9674b028089e266af1e324021e6896.gif

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"I'm guilty myself of speeding on the highways". Nothing wrong with being maybe a little bit over the speed limit on an empty highway, but just how much over the speed limit do you drive? Can you seriously say you are not a danger to other drivers like most Thais are? If not, then????????????

Being a "little bit over" isn't going to make you any more dead when your number is up, same as keeping to the speed limit won't make you a bit less injured when someone else hits you.

You could ask that of everyone everywhere. But I would guess that for those on this site the alternative is to live in the grip of hateful, female dominated, politically correct, overpriced, boring, and maybe snow-blown, home towns. 

On ‎19‎-‎4‎-‎2018 at 7:51 AM, Wang Lalker said:

t think you are confusing "Thais and "Thainess?"" with emmigration officers and their ongoing verbal abuse and harassment

never been abused or had harrasment from immergration  just keep cool be polite have clothes on for the day be straigth answered and look at the visa stamp before leaving . i did a visa last time wrong date stamped they corrected directley and was a 1000 sorry  have had them at my house looking Checking Visa   ok give then something to drink some cake sit talk some 

never seen them again

1 thing is if u mess the system they mess with u

if u have all the right things and your homework  for documents  all is ok 

no complaints here like i said before if u dont like the system  move on

being grumpy here u only have to blame yourself  is realy no need .

15 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Let's be honest, Thailand is failed, and so is the rest of the world.

Yes. No matter how much time I spend in numbeo or other sites comparing countries, all I can see is every place has gotten worse since the 80's. If it wasn't for the horrible hairstyles of that era, it would be the pinnacle of human existence. Just downhill after it.

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Being a "little bit over" isn't going to make you any more dead when your number is up, same as keeping to the speed limit won't make you a bit less injured when someone else hits you.

I know it is hardly going to happen in Thailand, but when driving and riding, you have to think of other road users as well as yourself.

Maybe I'm wrong, and someone will correct me without fail if I am, but I think most expats complain about one thing only...Thai driving habits.

Then there is the junta, corruption and freedom of speech. With these, it isn't so much about complaining but more of voicing political values. For example, I have read so much about how people don't want Brexit that I wonder how the hell it turned out that way. The same can be be said of President Trump and have read so many negative posts about him that I wonder how he got elected. How many of us here debated the US/NK issues and criticised one/both sides? Politics is really an 'free for all' topic in any country so why should it be any different here? Give a thought about the CIA, NSA etc. MI5/6 (/6.... whatever) Iraq and Syria on alleged, confirmed/unconfirmed reports on chemical weapons? I'm sure we've all got strong opinions about these...and why not indeed for they are important issues. But we don't live in Iraq or Syria! So why can't we voice our opinion about the Thai Junta (on the forum, that is). For those on the forum who suggest we should keep quiet or suggest we go elsewhere, I would suggest to them that if they dislike reading points of view then simply go to another forum (Ha, where it will probably be just the same).

Archived