Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

How can you say women is cheap? You mean easy to get, or cheap like not expensive? A Falang women from my country would be hellalot more cheap than any Thai woman I have met. A falang woman pay her bills, pay for her food, her housing, her clothes, even pay the bill a good night out! It is a great misunderstanding, the Thai ladys are cheap, if not you are a cheap charlie, and like to abuse your thai gf/wife. 

Be a man and suck it up

They are cheap or even free because I use them and send them back where they belong.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OF course one could ask do you need an  IQ above 90  to ask a dumb question .
 When i was in uk  i complain about weather taxes etc .  In norway about the cold and price of beer ,in dubai , no alcohol and no sexy girls  .now i am in thailand i complain about the crazy driving , rip off taxis/tuk tuks and child rape . If i was in utopia would be no problem and the fact you ask this question means you have major problems

Some of us Farangs came here to care for an ailing in-law and purchased a house with ALL our savings. No matter how much we dislike so many aspects of living here we can not leave until the house is sold.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:13 AM, Dmaxdan said:

I think you are mixing up disliking Thais and Thainess with grumpy old man syndrome.

I think you are mixing up GOM (Grumpy Old Man) syndrome with MOC (Miserable Old **** ) syndrome.

9 hours ago, BobBKK said:

They don't have to change but they will develop over time. Modern, well educated and well traveled Thais have much less 'Thainess'  than the uneducated spoon fed masses who think Naga live in the rivers.

Living anywhere is a trade-off and I don't think any of us think we will change Thais nor would attempt too but we don't have to like all of it.

How much time do they need? A country that is 100s years old and being left behind in education and modernity by younger neighbours!

Their BIG problem is that they fail (or are unwilling) to learn from others that have had similar problems to themselves and have largely overcome those similar problems. :sad:

I can only think it is a cultural trait or not wanting to let go of their feudal system? How else could you be so 'stupid'?

2 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Some of us Farangs came here to care for an ailing in-law and purchased a house with ALL our savings. No matter how much we dislike so many aspects of living here we can not leave until the house is sold.

So you hate your life and you're selling your house with land? :sleepy:

Reading all the highly opinionated and critical answers to this topic reminds me how pleased I am to have moved here 25 years ago to get away from "farangness".    Ah, the arrogance of all who put down the "culture" here.   From what i read I would assume all the respondents to have such impeccable standards and intelligence.   

I better answer the obvious question:  why do i go to this site ?   Well,  once in a while there actually is some information i find useful....... and the rest of the time it is cheap entertainment :stoner:

Reading all the highly opinionated and critical answers to this topic reminds me how pleased I am to have moved here 25 years ago to get away from "farangness".    Ah, the arrogance of all who put down the "culture" here.   From what i read I would assume all the respondents to have such impeccable standards and intelligence.   
I better answer the obvious question:  why do i go to this site ?   Well,  once in a while there actually is some information i find useful....... and the rest of the time it is cheap entertainment :stoner:
Yeah I'm sure my dude but I wonder if you realize that your post reads as just another dime a dozen I'm superior to the other farangs dance. I find that funny.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

Just in case you didn't notice..

Your post sounds just a bit more arrogant and highly opinionated than the posters you criticise.

Oh and your username, hopefully is ironic :smile:

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I'm sure my dude but I wonder if you realize that your post reads as just another dime a dozen I'm superior to the other farangs dance. I find that funny.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i am glad i could help you enjoy another miserable day.....dude

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Just in case you didn't notice..

Your post sounds just a bit more arrogant and highly opinionated than the posters you criticise.

Oh and your username, hopefully is ironic :smile:

well, it is my opinion......don't see where the arrogance is but you are entitled to your opinion.  Thank you for figuring out my username......you know me well already

9 minutes ago, rumak said:

well, it is my opinion......don't see where the arrogance is but you are entitled to your opinion.  Thank you for figuring out my username......you know me well already

Well, your opinion has been noticed, and i am not in complete disagreement, still, it sounds arrogant to enter a room, and say : ' everyone who disagrees with me is arrogant and highly opinionated '

if you are so proud of your adopted culture, could you explain why ?

Personally i am sitting on the fence, there are pros and cons in every culture, country, and people.

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

everyone who disagrees with me is arrogant and highly opinionated '

if you are so proud of your adopted culture, could you explain why

well,  my post did not say either of those things !   In other posts i have explained (as jingthing did) that adjusting and adapting are very important in determining how one gets along (anywhere !).

I came here a long time  ago....and found the people much less aggressive than the western culture I came from.  Thais, and I, can fight if pushed.   I have had to adjust here as well,  leaving the once peaceful city of Chiangmai and going "out to the countryside".  ,  where I still find the VAST majority of the thai people to be pleasant and warm.   Yes, behind that Thai smile there lies many things......but i seem to ru mak because i never have any conflicts .    that was not the case for many years when i first came and thought I ru mot !

"Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

Well I don't think people come here with that attitude, rather it grows over time.

Here is a list, not in order and not exhaustive:

- endemic high and low level corruption

- questionable work ethic

- the lying, trickery and low cunning that Thais readily use not only to foreigners but also among themselves

- racism (if this word is too strong replace it with something else) towards non-Thais

- inability of the society and culture to evolve over time and lack of intellectual curiosity

- cruelty towards animals

- endemic littering

- low levels for community spirit and cooperation

- lack of consideration for society at large with intense focus on the narrow confines of family matters

- prolific amount of illegitimate children and absentee fathers

- the selfish and inconsiderate way that they can treat people close to them who have money

- the pathological way that people of good will can be taken advantage of

- the terrible schooling system

A couple of caveats: these are generalisations and not all Thais are like this, there are plenty of exceptions and I can think counterexamples to each one however even Most Thais I know will agree with the above general descriptions though. Also, uptight Westerners and grumpy old man syndrome are real things and we can get carried away.

Now all that said, there are plenty of problems in the West: nanny statism, PC culture gone mad, multiculturalism, welfare induced entitlement, over regulation and taxation, insane cost of living etc etc.

When all is said and done I prefer Thailand, despite its problems (I could do another list with all the positives) but I would suggest that people who don't see any problems with Thailand and Thainess have either not been here long enough to understand the culture and language, have not thought about it deeply, or are just being willfully ignorant.

Also, as posters have already pointed out, many of the things that are problematic about the country are interlinked with the positives and fixing one would impact the other. It is what it is.

21 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I came here for good looking friendly girls, cheap beer, good food and for the game fishing. The Thai girls are getting fat (you did not see many fat girls 30 years ago), the beer is not really cheap any longer, the food is full of pesticide and the commercial fishing fleet has killed the game fishing, so am I wrong if I complain about their "Thainess" and what they have done to their own country?     

I can add another 8yrs.to your count.but I see your 100% spot on.

but I still cant get my head around WHAT WAS THAINESS supposed to be.

I still have my wife of 35yrs.a house I could only dream about back home.

but and that's a big BUT,for all of us that watch the news and follow what is happening to the country we call home.i don't see one positive thing that's happening,previous and right now.this past 5yrs.i have plenty to grieve about and its only got worse.now to see whats happening every day,week,month,year.is there anything good about it. 

I have always been happy to sit at home all day and enjoy whats left of my time on this soil.

I had to give up drinking,which I have done for over 50yrs do I moan about it,NOT ONE BIT.

I know have more health issue's but don't moan about it.

but all them that say,cheap women,cheap beer,cheap living,cheep food THAT IS NOT THAINESS as what it was meant to mean.

meatboy,an ex.taff and miner.

51 minutes ago, Poottrong said:

"Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

Well I don't think people come here with that attitude, rather it grows over time.

Here is a list, not in order and not exhaustive:

- endemic high and low level corruption

- questionable work ethic

- the lying, trickery and low cunning that Thais readily use not only to foreigners but also among themselves

- racism (if this word is too strong replace it with something else) towards non-Thais

- inability of the society and culture to evolve over time and lack of intellectual curiosity

- cruelty towards animals

- endemic littering

- low levels for community spirit and cooperation

- lack of consideration for society at large with intense focus on the narrow confines of family matters

- prolific amount of illegitimate children and absentee fathers

- the selfish and inconsiderate way that they can treat people close to them who have money

- the pathological way that people of good will can be taken advantage of

- the terrible schooling system

A couple of caveats: these are generalisations and not all Thais are like this, there are plenty of exceptions and I can think counterexamples to each one however even Most Thais I know will agree with the above general descriptions though. Also, uptight Westerners and grumpy old man syndrome are real things and we can get carried away.

Now all that said, there are plenty of problems in the West: nanny statism, PC culture gone mad, multiculturalism, welfare induced entitlement, over regulation and taxation, insane cost of living etc etc.

When all is said and done I prefer Thailand, despite its problems (I could do another list with all the positives) but I would suggest that people who don't see any problems with Thailand and Thainess have either not been here long enough to understand the culture and language, have not thought about it deeply, or are just being willfully ignorant.

Also, as posters have already pointed out, many of the things that are problematic about the country are interlinked with the positives and fixing one would impact the other. It is what it is.

Well said :thumbsup:

On 4/19/2018 at 12:57 PM, altcar bob said:

No where else to go

For me I would have chosen to go to Spain.BUT life and particulars led me here again.In many ways I'm a cultural fit but not when it come to having deep conversations with Thais. Critical thinking becomes an oxymoron.

I think its time for another gripe.this is about thai culture or the new expression thainess.

this concerns the THAI ICON,THE NATIONAL ANIMAL OF THAILAND.which is part of THAI CULTURE.

yet this past few weeks we have seen them being shot,left to die in agony,and this week electrocuted to death as they dared to roam looking for food on some farmers field the CHAN once roamed and called their home.

that's all I see is excuse after excuse with no compassion,i have alway's admired farmers for the hard work they do.

but to kill one of the finest animals on earth,i am sorry my respect for you is gone.

5 minutes ago, meatboy said:

I think its time for another gripe.this is about thai culture or the new expression thainess.

this concerns the THAI ICON,THE NATIONAL ANIMAL OF THAILAND.which is part of THAI CULTURE.

yet this past few weeks we have seen them being shot,left to die in agony,and this week electrocuted to death as they dared to roam looking for food on some farmers field the CHAN once roamed and called their home.

that's all I see is excuse after excuse with no compassion,i have alway's admired farmers for the hard work they do.

but to kill one of the finest animals on earth,i am sorry my respect for you is gone.

The real problem is that the forest is getting smaller, while the population gets bigger.

When the conditions are good the people reproduce, and everybody need food, and land to produce the food.

Of course i pity the poor elephants, but the problem exists, and there's not an easy solution.

As a part of the system, we are all responsible.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:39 AM, joeyg said:

I've got to hit the road so maybe more later. But I wanted to say nothing is more important to me than everyone having the right to state their opinion. However when there is malice or acrid  unwarranted criticism of a people IMHO that I do have a special affection for, it Doesn't sit well with me. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to say it. Just like it doesn't mean I don't have the right to question it.  

Ah but "beloved" Thailand is a  Place where you can't state your opinion on so many things.

1 hour ago, eyelid said:

For me I would have chosen to go to Spain.BUT life and particulars led me here again.In many ways I'm a cultural fit but not when it come to having deep conversations with Thais. Critical thinking becomes an oxymoron.

1. Spain ,most def is where I will end up, but Thailand just gets worse. General mass are in debt up to their eyelids,no jobs ,good paying ones,level of English is appalling,so is my Thai,but to get ahead these people need it,its a mess

Archived