Motorcycle Registration Transfer

ricklev

I am purchasing a used motorcycle from a private owner. The Honda shop on Huay Kaew said they will do the paperwork at the government and transfer the book for 1500 baht which includes one year of insurance (worth about 400 baht I guess). Seemed a little high to me. Is that the going rate or would I save 500 baht just by going to a different dealer? Is it reasonably easy and quick just to go to the government office myself? I have all the proper documents.

Thanks!

I am purchasing a used motorcycle from a private owner. The Honda shop on Huay Kaew said they will do the paperwork at the government and transfer the book for 1500 baht which includes one year of insurance (worth about 400 baht I guess). Seemed a little high to me. Is that the going rate or would I save 500 baht just by going to a different dealer? Is it reasonably easy and quick just to go to the government office myself? I have all the proper documents.

Thanks!

I don't think that sounds unreasonable at all, and according to the letter of the law, you are supposed to do your transfer in person. However, having said that, nobody ejoys the crowds and the time to do it personally, so an "agent" is employed to do it. The "tea money" involved in this method is a whole 50 baht!!

If you speak Thai, and want to save a few baht for the pleasure of waiting at the Department of Lands and Transport for several hours, please feel free :o