Nigerian man arrested as police hunt ‘romance scam’ gang

webfact

7 minutes ago, Alphy said:

Wow 8 years running around with false documentation?? I day late on my 90 day visitation and I am nicked!!

Just slice him and dump him in shark infested waters as he knows nothing else apart from criminal activities so please don't waste money and food on this totally despicable excuse for a Mammal!

I hope I can say it here Alphy , What's it all about.  No , I mean if I was a working BiB I'd pull in every Nigerian , maybe 1 in 10 is legit and is not as if they blend in and can hide very well.  Wouldn't be able to post that through my own letter box in England.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am forever amazed that people (seemingly a lot in authority) live by the misconception that all 'Nigerian' scams come from Africa. These are titular only.

For at least the last decade there have probably been more 'Nigerian' scams originating from Eastern Europe. Same format, same scam with the details altered slightly for locale.

In other words, targeting coloured gentlemen will never stop the scamming and quite possibly lead the gullible into a false sense of security because of it.

Hey, I have a terrific solution.  Why not have the Nigerian Prince serve his time with that Russian thug who almost killed that little cashier?

The Nigerian would be scamming the Russian while he's pounding the piss out of the Nigerian.  I mean, do we have a marriage made in heaven here?7

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is Northern Ireland now a nationality? I must have missed that news item when they became independent from Great Britain.

They have always been independent from Britain, its just that the Brits like to kid themselves otherwise.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is Northern Ireland now a nationality? I must have missed that news item when they became independent from Great Britain.

Correct term is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So it could be that it was a very poor counterfeit.

Ukpassport-cover.jpg

So this African guy could safely stayed in this country for eight years peacefully despite the fact that even provincial or district police did not even bother to check his travel or residential status.

3 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Presumably all of the scams we read about here are reported in the Thai media too so I wonder how Thais can continue to be so gullible. 

There should be a major effort to round up all of the Nigerians here on overstay and they need to really tighten up the qualifications for a visa even if some profiling is used.

Agreed ... there only here 'cause the pickings are made easy for 'em ...  I'd be rounding them all up for routine checks -- they harassed me in Malaysia, and I'm glad to be rural and nowhere near the bums . . .

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think the Nation is realistically anticipating Brexit developments.  Northern Ireland will have to become a separate state remaining within the EU, the latter being in accordance with its inhabitants' wishes, in order to retain a soft border.  This may be in contrast to the fantasy of the idiotic May government's negotiating efforts. 

• Haha 1

Thai women are greedy , and the scammers just take advantage of it . 

Ask any woman here , "I can give you 1 million if you pay my tax" . 

They would probably believe it. :cheesy:

Let me get this right.  The Nigerian guy pretended to be an millionaire US government officer called Mark Westwood who was for some unknown reason interested in a romantic attachment to a lonely Thai lady of middle years and sent her a photograph of a white farang, all of which she found utterly convincing.  Then he actually called her, presumably speaking in a thick Nigerian accent, and convinced her that, despite his millionaire government officer status, she had to wire him B97,000 for reasons not mentioned in the article.  It was only when he attempted to  go to the well a third time and called her for more money that she grew suspicious on hearing a baby crying. 

She was not surprised that an official in the US government where corruption is relatively rare could be a wealthy man.  She didn't attempt to google him with his alleged position and department to see if he really existed and, if so, what he looked like and whether she could find any reference to wife and family.  She didn't look through his FB account in detail which I suspect would have looked very fake, if she had.  What was she expecting to get back from the B97,000?  Did the millionaire need the money to pay his fare to come to Thailand to consummate their virtual relationship?  Or did he need it in order to deposit into her account hundreds of millions of dollars that fluttered out of the sky when a Nigerian government minister was killed in a plane crash?  

Even though much is missing from the Nation's account of this, it is entirely obvious that the woman is unbelievably stupid.  That doesn't detract from the fact that the Nigerian is utter scum and needs to be locked up for 10 years and then deported and blacklisted for life.    

• Like 1

Reminds me of a story of a Thai college teacher who complained he had been scammed of a similar sum of money by someone who called to tell him he had won the Euromillions and needed a large sum of money to process his winnings, which he dutifully wired to the scamster.  When a reporter called him for details of the story asked him if he had purchased a ticket for the Euromillions he just said no - duh. He must have felt even more stupid calling the police and getting himself in the news, since he had wired the funds to somewhere in Europe where there was no chance of Thai police getting any of his money back.  He must have had a very red face going to teach his students after the story had broken on TV news. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Let me get this right.  The Nigerian guy pretended to be an millionaire US government officer called Mark Westwood who was for some unknown reason interested in a romantic attachment to a lonely Thai lady of middle years and sent her a photograph of a white farang, all of which she found utterly convincing.  Then he actually called her, presumably speaking in a thick Nigerian accent, and convinced her that, despite his millionaire government officer status, she had to wire him B97,000 for reasons not mentioned in the article.  It was only when he attempted to  go to the well a third time and called her for more money that she grew suspicious on hearing a baby crying. 

She was not surprised that an official in the US government where corruption is relatively rare could be a wealthy man.  She didn't attempt to google him with his alleged position and department to see if he really existed and, if so, what he looked like and whether she could find any reference to wife and family.  She didn't look through his FB account in detail which I suspect would have looked very fake, if she had.  What was she expecting to get back from the B97,000?  Did the millionaire need the money to pay his fare to come to Thailand to consummate their virtual relationship?  Or did he need it in order to deposit into her account hundreds of millions of dollars that fluttered out of the sky when a Nigerian government minister was killed in a plane crash?  

Even though much is missing from the Nation's account of this, it is entirely obvious that the woman is unbelievably stupid.  That doesn't detract from the fact that the Nigerian is utter scum and needs to be locked up for 10 years and then deported and blacklisted for life.    

Has anybody got her number. The Mrs ran the electric bill up

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Reminds me of a story of a Thai college teacher who complained he had been scammed of a similar sum of money by someone who called to tell him he had won the Euromillions and needed a large sum of money to process his winnings, which he dutifully wired to the scamster.  When a reporter called him for details of the story asked him if he had purchased a ticket for the Euromillions he just said no - duh. He must have felt even more stupid calling the police and getting himself in the news, since he had wired the funds to somewhere in Europe where there was no chance of Thai police getting any of his money back.  He must have had a very red face going to teach his students after the story had broken on TV news. 

Only when you get more deeply into the online fraud system do you realize how many people there are that fall for often ridiculous scams, and in all parts of the world. Having spent many thousands of hours trying to make life hard for the scammers, I also spent many hours in contact with the 'victims' in attempts to wean them off the scams.

By far the hardest to wean them off was the love scam, whether the vic was female or male didn't matter much.

Edited by Belzybob