It's a boy: Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, gives birth to third child

snoop1130

It's a boy: Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, gives birth to third child

By Michael Holden and Tom Ball

2018-04-23T121336Z_1_LYNXMPEE3M0WM_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-ROYALS-BABY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge and his wife Princess Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, attend a reception at Claerchens Ballhaus, in Berlin Germany, July 20, 2017. REUTERS/Britta Pedersen/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Kate, the wife of Prince William, gave birth to a boy at a hospital in London on Monday, the third child for the British royal couple and now fifth in line to the throne.

Kensington Palace said the baby was born at 1001 GMT and weighs 8 lbs 7oz (3.9 kg). William was present for the birth at St Mary's Hospital in west London where their other two children, George and Charlotte, were also born, it added.

"The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry and members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news," Kensington Palace said.

"Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well."

The new prince is Queen Elizabeth's sixth great-grandchild and fifth-in-line to the British throne behind siblings George, 4, his two-year-old sister Charlotte, their father William, and grandfather and heir Prince Charles.

A 2013 change to the law means the boy will not supplant his older sister Charlotte in the line of succession. Before that change younger males would take precedence over older female siblings.

"That would in fact be the first time that has ever happened," royal historian Hugo Vickers said.

William's younger brother Harry, who marries U.S. actress Meghan Markle next month, falls to sixth on the list.

Kensington Palace said the name of the new royal would be announced in due course. Bookmakers have made Albert, Arthur, Jack and Fred the favourite names for a boy.

In keeping with tradition, the official announcement of the birth will be made by placing a notice on an easel in the forecourt of the queen's London home, Buckingham Palace.

William and Kate met as students at St Andrews University in Scotland. They got married in a pageant-packed ceremony at Westminster Abbey in April 2011 and have since become well-known across the global stage.

The couple now live at Kensington Palace and last year William gave up his day job as an air ambulance pilot to concentrate full time on royal duties on behalf of his grandmother, having faced some criticism from British newspapers who dubbed him "workshy Wills".

He has been determined to play a hands-on role in bringing up his children while also protecting their privacy, an issue close to his heart after the death of his mother, Princess Diana, in a 1997 Paris car crash as her limousine sped away from chasing paparazzi.

"I think he takes on a lot more engagements than he used to," said royal biographer Claudia Joseph.

"But compared to members of the general public who have full-time jobs, he still has some time off to look after the children, to give them their baths, to put them to bed and I think he'll continue to do that," Joseph said.

ROYAL PRINCE

The British royals are rarely out of the media glare, but the baby arrives at a time when the Windsors have particularly been in the limelight.

On Saturday William joined the queen and other senior royals, with the exception of Kate, as the monarch celebrated her 92nd birthday at a televised concert.

The queen also played a prominent role at the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in London last week, where it was announced that Charles would succeed her as head of the network of mainly former British colonies.

William and Kate's wedding and the birth of Prince George, who is destined to be a future king, generated a worldwide media frenzy. While interest in their third child has been more muted, large numbers of photographers and broadcasters massed outside the hospital, along with some dedicated royal fans.

"We’ve been camped here outside the hospital for 15 days," said John Loughrey, 63, from south London, who was wearing a Union Jack onesie and hat and holding a baby doll adorned with a crown that said 'feed me mummy' every few seconds.

"We’ve been coming out doing this for 21 years. We were here for George and Charlotte and we'll be there for the royal wedding too," he said, referring to Harry and Meghan Markle.

However, not everyone in Britain is so enamoured.

"The arrival of a new prince or princess highlights the unfairness of the hereditary principle – for the millions of children told they’ll never be good enough and for the baby whose life has been predetermined," anti-monarchist group Republic said.

"The absurd media speculation ignores these serious questions while showing us the kind of intrusion the royal baby can expect for the rest of its life."

The birth will give Kate's own family another cause for celebration after it was reported by British media on Sunday that her sister Pippa was pregnant with her first child.

($1 = 0.7143 pounds)

GRAPHIC: The British Royal family http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/BRITAIN-ROYALS-BABY/010062CS3Z2/BRITAIN-ROYALS-BABY.jpg

(Editing by Guy Faulconbridge and Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-4-23

Congratulations to Kate and William.

Now we just need William on the throne whilst he is still a youngish man. I wonder if Charles being announced 'head of the commonwealth' last week is a way of him easing succession to the throne to William in the next few years? (i.e bypassing Charles and moving direct to William, using age as a factor? - one can only hope).

3 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Congratulations to Kate and William.

Now we just need William on the throne whilst he is still a youngish man. I wonder if Charles being announced 'head of the commonwealth' last week is a way of him easing succession to the throne to William in the next few years? (i.e bypassing Charles and moving direct to William, using age as a factor? - one can only hope).

Doubt it, he can't wait to be king...

Born on St Georges day, pity the name George has already been taken...

Then I was thinking the day is also associated with Shakespeare, but there again his dad is called William, but there again not the first time a children is named after there farther.

11 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

I wondered how long it would be!

Every Royal who is paid for by the British tax payer generates many multiples times more back for the UK treasury and UK business. What do you do? apart from being another whinger who seems to think it unusual that you pay tax? The Royals offer a far better return on investment for the UK than you have ever done.

What did I do? A good few years in the British Army was one thing. Nothing special, just common or garden grunt.

Was awarded the VDS.twice.

( VD and Scar )

Edited by overherebc

Dr Shawnfost postulates that 2018 will be the year when aliens reveal themselves. If he is correct it will soon be apparent whether David Icke is right about the UK royal family being a hybred human/lizard species.

A couple of questions arise from Dr Shawnfost's lectures!? Firstly, why are we (humans) actually here? Some suggest that we could actually be a food source for when the aliens do return after 165k years.

And secondly; where do these aliens (US allegedly have them in captivity) originate.

Miss Wilder (American lady) has actually seen members of the UK royal family change into lizards and of course this 'royal baby' news brings all into focus.

Are we about to be eaten!!?? I suggest not (yet), but very interesting! 

Edited by owl sees all

At least “these people” have the decency not post negative opinions of all commoners on a foreign anonymous website as if they know anything about them. Unfortunately we can’t enjoy a bit of good news anymore without all and sundry dragging it into negativity

Congratulations to the Royal Family!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

At least “these people” have the decency not post negative opinions of all commoners on a foreign anonymous website as if they know anything about them. Unfortunately we can’t enjoy a bit of good news anymore without all and sundry dragging it into negativity

Congfatulations on what?Knocking out another sprog, jeez, are they the only ones capable of it?

Give the german queen and her greek prince an allowance for them and diect sons daughters. After that, get a job for them with a salary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

I bet Harry and Megan have 15 kids. Judging by the pics those 2 look like they would be going at it night and day

They will, likewise, do as they are instructed - keep banging them out to distract the proles from the ongoing plundering of the country.

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

They will, likewise, do as they are instructed - keep banging them out to distract the proles from the ongoing plundering of the country.

Don't forget the 'find some fresh blood lines before we all end up going ga-ga and playing banjos' instructions.

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Wake up - this is the 21st century. The days of feudalism, peasants, commoners and lords is over - nowadays we ridicule those who cling to such notions, and rightly so. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Every Royal who is paid for by the British tax payer generates many multiples times more back for the UK treasury and UK business. What do you do? apart from being another whinger who seems to think it unusual that you pay tax? The Royals offer a far better return on investment for the UK than you have ever done.

And you will pass to another form before you can prove such a statement.

Please do you really think such a bold unsupported statement has merit?   Or should we rely on  statements from agencies that support Royalty?

Please restate with some  reasonable substantiation.

TIA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

What did I do? A good few years in the British Army was one thing. Nothing special, just common or garden grunt.

Was awarded the VDS.twice.

( VD and Scar )

I got one of those in Raoul's Rose Garden :cool:

20 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Has this ever been proved?

Show me the money!

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Wake up - this is the 21st century. The days of feudalism, peasants, commoners and lords is over - nowadays we ridicule those who cling to such notions, and rightly so. 

The days of feudalism, peasants, commoners and lords is over "

Sadly you are so wrong:sad:It has re-emerged in a new format................Same script new actors

11 hours ago, midas said:

Has this ever been proved?

Show me the money!

There are many reports - one example states approx £550 million p.a. from tourism related to the Royal Family, a lot more than the total annual cost to the taxpayer for supporting the Royal Family.

Personally I prefer the tradition of the Royal Family than someone selected by politician/s.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/882003/royals-earned-millions-british-tourism-industry-2017

i think they'll call him arthur. and i think it's nice that we can be critical of the brit royals but they still come out on top. i also think that william will be the next king and charles will be bypassed. i also believe diana was murdered. but none of this i know