Hottest day of the year so far...

tropo

In contrast to all those "It's freezing, it's too cold" threads, I thought it might be appropriate to talk about the April heat.  

According to SunCalc at: http://suncalc.net/#/51.508,-0.125,2/2018.04.24/17:34

...the sun is highest in the sky above Pattaya today, April 24. It's not a very accurate way to determine the highest angles, so if anyone has more accurate information, please provide it. 

My inside digital thermometers show it's the hottest day so far this year for inside room temperatures, with one showing 32.1C, others 30.8C and 31.2C (shaded areas, no direct sun heating or roof above). Humidity is just over 70%. Also, the minimum temperatures have been 29C for a couple of days so my room temperatures aren't falling below 30C.

How are the rest of you doing? I'm sure it's a lot hotter inland on the Dark Side.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it mildly amusing that Ken Bruce (BBC Radio 2 @ 9.30AM UK) has a running thread on "hottest day of the year", UK maximum is about what it gets down to at night here.

I really do love the weather, never cold except when Madam dials the bedroom A/C to 24, brrrr!

On a plus note it does usually mean that a "cuddle" or other "activity" is on the cards :tongue::tongue:

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

does Ken Bruce still do the morning quiz - what's it called, can't remember.

Pop Master, yes every day.

Makes the evening commute home bearable, I love his delivery, can't stand Chris Evans on the breakfast show. Only recently did his 18 year traffic lady Lynn Bowles (I definitely would) leave for her own Sunday show on BBC Radio Wales.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

It certainly felt rather hot today in Na-Jomtien..there was some relief with a breeze now and again.

I've been keeping windows shut. The breeze in the afternoon heats up my rooms.

The weather app on my phone showed 32 yesterday, and 32 today here in Samui. Yesterday not a cloud in the sky and scorching. Today some cloud and didn't feel too bad.

How they figure it's the same temperature I don't know.

Does anyone know where I can buy a thermometer here in Samui?

3 hours ago, tropo said:

...the sun is highest in the sky above Pattaya today, April 24. It's not a very accurate way to determine the highest angles, so if anyone has more accurate information, please provide it. 

It's this day.

Consistent with what I see here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/thailand/pattaya

Also I remember the news every year about Bangkok.

Often the hottest day April 26 or 27.

Highest electric power consumption of the year.

As I have not seen the usual alarm messages ("save energy", "setup AC properly") it seems that this year is not THAT hot.

Or they have improved electricity supply.

Or Mr. P. has forbidden alarm messages :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Only 35.0°C max today at Pattaya Weather Station

That's nothing.

Here about 39 today.

But a huge new wave of thunderstorms is promised from tommorow.

29 C promised for the weekend. Too good to be true.

So this is what I can look forward too when I get back to Thailand on the weekend? Bring it on. After my first 10 days in Canada featuring straight sub-zero afternoons, I am ready for the sweats. I don't mind the multiple layers of clothing. But the air, as always in winter, is so dry here my skin requires constant moisturizing cream. This is what I suffer for a taste of real beer. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not the hottest day of the year !

Only 35.0°C max today at Pattaya Weather Station

35.7 °C on 15 April

35.9 °C on 19 January (!)

I suppose it depends on what you call hottest. i.e. hottest average temperature for the 24-hour period, or highest peak.

There's also heat index and apparent temperature to consider. Your Pattaya weather station says that April 23 (not yet updated for April 24) had the highest apparent temperature and highest heat index for April so far. All my digital thermometers (all 6 of them) are all showing hotter than yesterday.

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Month.html

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Year.html

55 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's this day.

Consistent with what I see here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/thailand/pattaya

Also I remember the news every year about Bangkok.

Often the hottest day April 26 or 27.

Highest electric power consumption of the year.

As I have not seen the usual alarm messages ("save energy", "setup AC properly") it seems that this year is not THAT hot.

Or they have improved electricity supply.

Or Mr. P. has forbidden alarm messages :biggrin:

That's nothing.

Here about 39 today.

But a huge new wave of thunderstorms is promised from tommorow.

29 C promised for the weekend. Too good to be true.

Great chart, thanks!

I see the highest angle in Bangkok (89.9 degrees) is 3 days later, on April 27.... and you don't reach it in Khon Kaen until May 6.

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

I see the highest angle in Bangkok (89.9 degrees) is 3 days later, on April 27.... and you don't reach in in Khon Kaen until May 6.

Yep.

First to experience in the deep south (Narathiwat) is on April 6.

Last to experience at the golden triangle (Chiang Rai) is on May 20.

When I first was here in May I found it interesting enough to take pictures of the no shade event :smile:

12 minutes ago, champers said:

Phewww what a scorcher!!! ????

You never feel any day is a "scorcher" as it's consistently hot all March, April... all the way up to December. It was the hottest day of the year, but just a bit hotter than yesterday... and we'll get many more even hotter.

I did read on one site that Khlong Toei in Bangkok has the hottest yearly average temperatures in the whole of Asia. That doesn't mean the highest highs, but the highest average temperature over 365 x 24 hours. That may or may not be true, but Thailand is a very hot country, there's no doubt about that.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

27 degrees in my condo today. Just like every other day.

I suspect that the air-con may have something to do with that.

That's my sleeping and gym workout temperature... because even that pushes my monthly electric bill to 4000 baht with current temperatures. I don't use aircon while posting here and it's 30.2C right now.

A quite warm day in Chiang Mai too;  Last night a very noisy thunderstorm, but not a drop of rain that I could see.   Bring it on.  It's about the only thing that will dampen the pollution and also wash the accumulated sand/dust in the streets.

1 hour ago, topt said:

Fail safe or you just collect them..........:biggrin:

3 bedrooms, gym plus living room and kitchen. They are very cheap these days on Lazada, eBay or Aliexpress. Some are as low as 150 baht.

41 minutes ago, masuk said:

A quite warm day in Chiang Mai too;  Last night a very noisy thunderstorm, but not a drop of rain that I could see.   Bring it on.  It's about the only thing that will dampen the pollution and also wash the accumulated sand/dust in the streets.

Some thundershowers are bringing cooler air into Pattaya today.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Some thundershowers are bringing cooler air into Pattaya today.

There's some thunder and rain showers for 3 minutes. Now almost back to normal.

The three seasons here:

Hot- Hotter and Hottest. 

Archived