New Thai law to pave way for same-sex partnerships

webfact

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Yes, Thailand is generally at least 40 years behind the West in most things (although, to be fair, most young and youngish Thais are quite accepting of gay people - some of the much older Thais can be more prejudiced ...).

And yet they will still watch the ridiculous characters in the TV soaps and 'talent' shows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

And yet they will still watch the ridiculous characters in the TV soaps and 'talent' shows.

I know, Wgdanson, I agree with you! Myself, I can't understand why anyone would want to watch any of those dreadful Thai soap operas - they make me pull my hair out and want to climb up the wall  - they are so badly acted, so unbelievable, so over the top (the heroes and heroines all have perfect whiter than white skin and live in huge hi-so mansions - and a bit of rape is thrown in, for good measure, which leads to a nice loving romance between rapist and grateful victim. Ugh!!!).

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I know, Wgdanson, I agree with you! Myself, I can't understand why anyone would want to watch any of those dreadful Thai soap operas - they make me pull my hair out and want to climb up the wall  - they are so badly acted, so unbelievable, so over the top (the heroes and heroines all have perfect whiter than white skin and live in huge hi-so mansions - and a bit of rape is thrown in, for good measure, which leads to a nice loving romance between rapist and grateful victim. Ugh!!!).

You forgot to mention the sound effects !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jay1980 said:

Does anyone know or have an opinion if the new law the article is about would allow a Thai/farang (or non Thai) couple to legally register their partnership and obtain a non-O visa based on their registered partnership providing they meet the financial requirements the same as a Thai/non-Thai married couple can?

Thanks

I have to say sadly, that probably won't be for some time. Probably not in your lifetime. Though I am against gay marriage, which is designed for a man and a woman. I strongly support civil union, which is designed for people of the same sex. I think it would be great if the gays could get a visa based on a civil union. One way to bring that to the attention of the establishment, would be to write to the ombudsman, telling him your predicament. 

42 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I have to say sadly, that probably won't be for some time. Probably not in your lifetime. Though I am against gay marriage, which is designed for a man and a woman. I strongly support civil union, which is designed for people of the same sex. I think it would be great if the gays could get a visa based on a civil union. One way to bring that to the attention of the establishment, would be to write to the ombudsman, telling him your predicament. 

Well, that is a most surprising and unexpected, but welcome, post from Greenchair (above). We make progress! At least Greenchair supports the idea of a legally recognised civil union between two gay people (granting visa rights to the 'foreigner')  - even if he opposes (for religious reasons?) the idea of a gay 'marriage', specifically.

There is hope for you yet, Greenchair!

Edited by Eligius

13 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Well, that is a most surprising but welcome post from Greenchair (above)! At least Greenchair supports the idea of a legally recognised civil union between two gay people (granting visa rights)  - even if he opposes (for religious reasons?) the idea of a gay 'marriage'.

Don't get carried away. He's on long record of opposing civil unions that carry the same rights as marriage in matters of PARENTAL rights.

14 hours ago, Eligius said:

Well, that is a most surprising and unexpected, but welcome, post from Greenchair (above). We make progress! At least Greenchair supports the idea of a legally recognised civil union between two gay people (granting visa rights to the 'foreigner')  - even if he opposes (for religious reasons?) the idea of a gay 'marriage', specifically.

Let's not get carried away here. It is nothing to do with religious reasons. The meaning of Marriage is clearly defined in the dictionary and in the law as a union between a man and a woman. A gay men or women union would not fit that definition. why would you even contemplate it. We would have to rewrite all the civil laws to say a union between 2 people. Why can't the straight people keep the phrase 'between a man and a woman ' that has been used for hundreds of years. 

It's like the Muslims saying we can't have pork in schools or the blacks saying we can't have white history in schools because it offends their culture. In fact the gay community should go about creating their own laws that are suitable to their needs, that don't infringe on other people's rights also. As I said. 

A civil union, defined as an official  union between 2 persons of the same sex. Is quite suitable to the gay community. As with the marriage law. You could add further laws that gave you more rights that are suitable to gays. All this LGBTIQQ, and changing the entire marriage system and laws is futile. It's probably added 50 years to the fight for basic gay rights. 

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Let's not get carried away here. It is nothing to do with religious reasons. The meaning of Marriage is clearly defined in the dictionary and in the law as a union between a man and a woman. A gay men or women union would not fit that definition. why would you even contemplate it. We would have to rewrite all the civil laws to say a union between 2 people. Why can't the straight people keep the phrase 'between a man and a woman ' that has been used for hundreds of years. 

It's like the Muslims saying we can't have pork in schools or the blacks saying we can't have white history in schools because it offends their culture. In fact the gay community should go about creating their own laws that are suitable to their needs, that don't infringe on other people's rights also. As I said. 

A civil union, defined as an official  union between 2 persons of the same sex. Is quite suitable to the gay community. As with the marriage law. You could add further laws that gave you more rights that are suitable to gays. All this LGBTIQQ, and changing the entire marriage system and laws is futile. It's probably added 50 years to the fight for basic gay rights. 

Well, if it's in the dictionary, we'd better take it seriously. Why didn't you say so in the first place?  The dictionary no less! Is that in addition to the studies? By God man I stand corrected. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Well, if it's in the dictionary, we'd better take it seriously. Why didn't you say so in the first place?  The dictionary no less! Is that in addition to the studies? By God man I stand corrected. 

don't forget religious tracts

mustn't offend billions of people

51 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Hate to rain on your parade but most dictionary definitions of 'marriage' now say 'two persons' or sometimes 'two spouses' rather than 'man and woman'.  So, if you're looking for the dictionary to back you up, that just went out the window.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

LGBTQAR?

BTW, I believe the Q stands for 'questioning' not 'queer' as reported by someone else in this thread.

Not really.

Q was definitely included at first to mean QUEER.

The QUEER thing is generational. Younger people identified with it more.

It's inclusion horrified a lot of older gay people.

Personally I don't care much either way.

Adding "questioning" as an additional meaning for the Q came later.

Personally, I think that's a stretch.

Reminds me of guys I used to meet that claimed they weren't gay but doing research for sociology class.

In any case, it's a fact the Q meaning QUEER is the primary meaning of the Q letter in LGBTQ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

Here you go --

In 2016, GLAAD's Media Reference Guide states that LGBTQ is the preferred initialism, being more inclusive of younger members of the communities who embrace queer as a self-descriptor.

Many people have looked for a generic term to replace the numerous existing initialisms.[82] Words such as queer (an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities that are not heterosexual, or gender-binary) and rainbow have been tried, but most have not been widely adopted.

queer

adjective
  1. 1.
    strange; odd.
    "she had a queer feeling that they were being watched"
    synonyms: odd, strange, unusual, funny, peculiar, curious, bizarre, weird, uncanny, freakish, eerie, unnatural;
    unconventional, unorthodox, unexpected, unfamiliar, abnormal, anomalous, atypical, untypical, out of the ordinary, incongruous, irregular; 
    puzzling, perplexing, baffling, unaccountable; 
    informalfishy, spooky,bizarro, freaky
    "his diction is archaic and queer"

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not really.

Q was definitely included at first to mean QUEER.

The QUEER thing is generational. Younger people identified with it more.

It's inclusion horrified a lot of older gay people.

Personally I don't care much either way.

Adding "questioning" as an additional meaning for the Q came later.

Personally, I think that's a stretch.

Reminds me of guys I used to meet that claimed they weren't gay but doing research for sociology class.

In any case, it's a fact the Q meaning QUEER is the primary meaning of the Q letter in LGBTQ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

Here you go --

Can't se the usefulness of adding queer when gay (a euphemism for homosexual) and lesbian are already represented. Mind you, the intent may simply have been to outrage, that would fit. Not the finest examples of intellect perhaps, resentful but not overly smart or even objective.

In any event, the wiki article you linked to says "queer or questioning" so I think the distinction is moot.

Edited by KiwiKiwi