Pattaya is not as good as it used to be.

ubonr1971

I first came here 2003, and spent lots of time here over the next 3 years - the place was heaving, you could not walk 'unmolested' down soi 7 or 8. Now it's no where near the same - I miss that. But then again, the wife might not like me going there anymore anyhow ! 

21 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Maybe you should get out a bit more. Ever been as far as the neighbouring town of where you live?

Why should living in Thailand have a visit to Pattaya as a prerequisite? I wonder if every resident of the UK has been to London? There's rather more to Thailand than just Sin City - and before the comedians come out of the woodwork, yes I've been to both :whistling:.

Edited by freebyrd
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Jip99 said:

IMO WS, Soi 6 and McDonalds are all disgusting.

McDonalds boast that their food tastes the same in every branch "worldwide", i.e., DISGUSTING.....But I don't mind Soi 6 :smile::thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Why should living in Thailand have a visit to Pattaya as a prerequisite? I wonder if every resident of the UK has been to London? There's rather more to Thailand than just Sin City - and before the comedians come out of the woodwork, yes I've been to both :whistling:.

The issue isn't "not having been to Pattaya" but rather "not having been to Pattaya but commenting as if you had been to Pattaya".....I think.. 

• Like 1

I avoided Pattaya for many years, glad i found it though
  • Haha 1

Kerry D- good and accurate report.  I first came to Pattaya  in the 1960s prior to the  arrival of the American GIs and found it to be a sleepy village with one  western style hotel- beautiful beach, clean, no traffic or pollution. 

As the years have progressed and I have moved permanently to Thailand- I have visited Pattaya hundreds of times- sometimes with family and other times without.  I currently find Pattaya- overbuilt; with a crumbling infrastructure; massive corruption and a dwindling sex industry and in addition it is just not fun. It has become too commercialized with the love of money  evident.  The 'entertainers' are not good at their 'job' and the punters are much more violent;  bad drunks and don't spend . Most of the owners would sell if they could but who wants to buy a bar/GoGo that is simply surviving.

IMHO Pattay has had its golden days and it will never be the same.  The Westerners who used to spend big just don't like it anymore and have moved on to better and friendlier places.  The bar owners are hurting and it's simply because there are too many of them and as one poster mentioned- they can't make money off the current tourist trade. Like the poster said- when I was drinking and running the bars- 4,000 Baht was a normal evening and  spenders like that were everywhere.  There were no fights- everyone handled their business and alcohol and it was a good time. That demographic is gone  and replaced by a different type of tourist who  just doesn't spend. There may be more in numbers but there is no trickle down

While the sex industry will always be there is sme form- it will be less obvious and relatively small.  What is happening in North Pattaya- with upscale malls and higher end tourists will spread towards  South Pattaya and eventually I expect Walking Street to be radically changed. Eventually, the  seaside shops will disappear due to sea encroachment and the other side will have relocated to other areas towards the darkside or Jomtien. I do see Pattaya become more family friendly with the rise of the Thai Middle Class and the decline of mongers.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is really the wrong forum to post this thread. This is a very prudish forum where people either don't have sex or don't admit it, and certainly don't admit to paying for it

If you are under fifty and cannot get sex in Pattaya without paying for it, something is badly wrong, and you have only yourself to blame. You must be either overweight, too many tattooes, too much facial hair etc.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If you are under fifty and cannot get sex in Pattaya without paying for it, something is badly wrong, and you have only yourself to blame. You must be either overweight, too many tattooes, too much facial hair etc.
Yes getting it for free is nice, its kinda normal if girls like you
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You're the first person ever to miss the Soi dogs.

It is low season so less people. I'm liking it with most of the tourists now gone

That's correct. The low season starts off after Songkran. Summer is coming in Russia, Europe and China.

3 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Maybe not every resident of the UK has been to London but I am sure 95% of every visitor/expat has at least visited/check out London before setling down  somewhere else in the UK. Why would someone spend 30 years in Thailand and not check out many city/towns in the country including Pattaya?

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

What's wrong with paying for it? You could be better off paying for it. i.e. you're actually paying for them to leave. Fewer hassles down the road and also more fun without the emotional nonsense that many would like to avoid. Free today - costly tomorrow LOL.

Yes, I agree with you, I have never been against prostitution, as long as no one is getting hurt, and there is no underage sex involved, in fact I think it should be legalised, and I don't just mean in Thailand. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
Yes, I agree with you, I have never been against prostitution, as long as no one is getting hurt, and there is no underage sex involved, in fact I think it should be legalised, and I don't just mean in Thailand. 

Plus as we all know, many guys are paying their wives and girlfriends anyway

Yes, that's true, but in my case, both me and my wife have our own money, but that is not to say I never contribute to anything financially, it is my choice.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1