Pattaya is not as good as it used to be.

ubonr1971

Sorry to hear Rolling Stones closed. That's the only place I liked to hang and drink on ws. The other clubs were to high strung and crowded, not really my scene unless I had a good buzz going.

Spent most of the time north of jomtien in that Russian area near the un crowded and fairly clean beach sipping coconuts in low season.

3 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

Spent most of the time north of jomtien in that Russian area near the un crowded and fairly clean beach sipping coconuts in low season.

Pratumnak/Dongtan beach? I was just in the area last weekend and all I saw was dozens of tour buses loading off Chinese to the hotels/illegal airbnbs near the beach. It's already being invaded.

38 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Pratumnak/Dongtan beach? I was just in the area last weekend and all I saw was dozens of tour buses loading off Chinese to the hotels/illegal airbnbs near the beach. It's already being invaded.

Yeah pratmacked that's it. Was very quiet (almost nobody around) when I Was there around July-aug 2017. I think most of it is seasonal. 

Plus us I don't go where the Chinese go and I like to avoid crowds. The Chinese would never go sit on isolated chairs on the beach with no crowds. It's not there scene. They like the hotel crowded dining hall better.

same principal applies to ws. Why go there when you could be on a quiet beach. We'll at least I can say I saw it and been there, that's something I suppose.

everything is worth experiencing at least once. Even licking arse or eating crap, everything.

Edited by Dick Crank

Yeah pratmacked that's it. Was very quiet (almost nobody around) when I Was there around July-aug 2017. I think most of it is seasonal. 

Plus us I don't go where the Chinese go and I like to avoid crowds. The Chinese would never go sit on isolated chairs on the beach with no crowds. It's not there scene. They like the hotel crowded dining hall better.

same principal applies to ws. Why go there when you could be on a quiet beach. We'll at least I can say I saw it and been there, that's something I suppose.

everything is worth experiencing at least once. Even licking arse or eating crap, everything.
Chinese are fine now as they are in coaches but in the future they will get more independent and will be everywhere

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
8 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

Chinese are fine now as they are in coaches but in the future they will get more independent and will be everywhere

Already happening.

I was at Nong Nooch yesterday absolutely full of Chinese. Even the cultural show is commentated in Chinese.
On subject, just had a short 4 day visit. Still love the place but no desire to live here. Was surprised how busy everywhere still is post Songran.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Pattaya has pivoted towards the Chinese years ago. First one to go that I remember was the seafood restaurant near bupen, can't remember the name but had a sylvester cat as mascot. One day I went there it was suddenly transformed into a Chinese buffet thing, I screamed in terror and got out as fast as I could. I think this was four years ago, since then the invasion has been spreading rapidly and white man is being squeezed out. One can only hope Thais rise up against the tours using their country and keeping the profits. 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, newnative said:
Already happening.

I only see them in big groups i.e. walking street, or the beach or in coaches or places like Rubberland

You need to get away from Walking Street, the beach, and Rubberland.  That's not where the independent Chinese travelers are.   They're all over the place, but not in big groups. 

You need to get away from Walking Street, the beach, and Rubberland.  That's not where the independent Chinese travelers are.   They're all over the place, but not in big groups. 

There may be a tiny minority walking about but that's it, the very large majority are still in organised tours.

Where exactly are your Chinese tourists going if it isn't the main tourist areas?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There may be a tiny minority walking about but that's it, the very large majority are still in organised tours.

Where exactly are your Chinese tourists going if it isn't the main tourist areas?

The point I was trying to make, badly it seems, is I, myself never go to Walking Street, the beach, or Rubberland.   There likely are non-tour group Chinese at those places, too.  My point was that I see lots of non-tour group Chinese at the places I do frequent. One of the largest groups of illegal daily renters at my condo--and the one I was at before this one--are Chinese. Likely true for a number of condos.  Young couples on honeymoon, groups of 4 to 6 young Chinese women traveling together, young Chinese men in groups, and multi-generational Chinese families, as well.

Some are also staying at large houses in Jomtien. And, take a look in the early evening at Soi 16 and the other sois in Wongamat--lots of Chinese couples and small groups on the street walking about out for dinner and buying fruit at the fruit stands.  Look around at Central Marina in North Pattaya.  They're all around but they're not in large groups with a flag-waving tour guide so not so visible.  The tour groups are still far larger, of course, but non-tour group Chinese I don't think are a tiny number anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

The point I was trying to make, badly it seems, is I, myself never go to Walking Street, the beach, or Rubberland.   There likely are non-tour group Chinese at those places, too.  My point was that I see lots of non-tour group Chinese at the places I do frequent. One of the largest groups of illegal daily renters at my condo--and the one I was at before this one--are Chinese. Likely true for a number of condos.  Young couples on honeymoon, groups of 4 to 6 young Chinese women traveling together, young Chinese men in groups, and multi-generational Chinese families, as well.

Some are also staying at large houses in Jomtien. And, take a look in the early evening at Soi 16 and the other sois in Wongamat--lots of Chinese couples and small groups on the street walking about out for dinner and buying fruit at the fruit stands.  Look around at Central Marina in North Pattaya.  They're all around but they're not in large groups with a flag-waving tour guide so not so visible.  The tour groups are still far larger, of course, but non-tour group Chinese I don't think are a tiny number anymore.

I agree.  The Base and Centric for example are full of them ST not part of groups.

100's a day coming in.

Central Marina yes I am seeing the same thing.

• Like 1

Fair enough if you see them about, i see a fair few Korean couples and friends going about
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, newnative said:

Fair enough if you see them about, i see a fair few Korean couples and friends going about

Yes, Koreans, as well.

Although I own a condo in Jomtien Beach that I purchased about 15 years ago and wife and I visit there about once a month I still consider the Pattaya area in general a <deleted>.      Quite different from the Pattaya that I remember from the very early '70's.

On May 8, 2018 at 12:21 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On May 7, 2018 at 10:41 PM, Dick Crank said:

If they are not in large groups it's more difficult for them to push you out of the buffet line

18 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Although I own a condo in Jomtien Beach that I purchased about 15 years ago and wife and I visit there about once a month I still consider the Pattaya area in general a <deleted>.      Quite different from the Pattaya that I remember from the very early '70's.

Is anywhere in LOS the same as in the 70s?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

three years represent 15% decrease in your sex drive. this is the reason for the "lower quality" that you see in pattaya after three years .

drink few beers and all the girls will look much better, and even mc'donald on WS won't budder you anymore.

just don't come back here to tell us about it. really man, stop embarrasing yourself.

• 1 month later...
More tourists doesn't always mean more money, particularly for WS. Like all of us, I've watched the streams of Chinese following the flag bearer, I don't think I've ever seen any of them detour into a bar.

Good riddance to Walking Street
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DavidAlexander said:

More tourists doesn't always mean more money, particularly for WS. Like all of us, I've watched the streams of Chinese following the flag bearer, I don't think I've ever seen any of them detour into a bar.

No, they are on a tour and do not deviate. Mostly older and lower money folks.

But, the younger non tour Chinese certainly are venturing out on their own.  Many in the restaurants, Gogo's and I was surprised how many were in the disco's.  They also seem to have plenty of money based on my observation of buying LD 's and taking out.

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

But, the younger non tour Chinese certainly are venturing out on their own.  

Taiwanese and Hong Kongers seem to be able to travel without guardians and behave fairly nicely. Can't really count them as Chinese though, just victims of the the Empire.

Edited by DrTuner

On 4/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, suzannegoh said:

When people lament that places are not the same as 20 or 30 years ago they usually are really lamenting the loss of their youth.

Perhaps, but believe me, eventually you'll experience the same feelings.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:
The once world renowned Beach Road has devolved into a geriatric eyesore.

Its always been heavy on old people

I think he meant the coconut girls. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

i have been there a handful of times since i came to thailand in 1996, always at the insistence of others, with the exception of Thai Wake Park Pattaya I would never return.

Apparently Wake Park is the waterskiing park near maprachan. Tells you how big the area is and how many tourist traps it has, been here 12 years and never visited it. First time I heard of it I think, there's another one in Na Jomthien.

Edited by DrTuner
Wrong place at first
  • Thanks 1