What are your options when you are denied entry?

Just trying to prepare for the worst case. Hopefully never happening. Good to inform oneself before it happens.

Supposed you are asked to show 20000 baht to show sufficient funds.... Suppose you fail to show it. Suppose you get denied.

What will happen? You get a stamp "denied entry"?

Can you go back to an ATM, get the funds, go back, show the funds and this time pass immigration successfully?

Is there a printer before passing immigration to produce a bank statement?

What if one does not have an onward ticket? Possible to book an onward ticket, go back, show onward ticket and this time pass immigration successfully?

If one is denied entry with no option to enter after fixing it (if that is even possible?) what can one do? How long can one stay in the airport? Can one book a flight? Can one fly only to its country of passport? Country of residence? Or fly to any country if ticket gets booked?

51 minutes ago, pbrock said:

What will happen? You get a stamp "denied entry"?

Maybe. Even if formally denied you might not receive a stamp in your passport.

52 minutes ago, pbrock said:

Can you go back to an ATM, get the funds, go back, show the funds and this time pass immigration successfully?

If they start asking to see 10/20K they are almost certainly looking for reasons to deny entry. Even if you have the cash it’s no guarantee you won’t be denied.

58 minutes ago, pbrock said:

Is there a printer before passing immigration to produce a bank statement?

Immigration will not accept a bank statement as an alternative to cash. A bank statement in addition to cash might help to demonstrate you can afford to fund your, presumably, long term tourism.

54 minutes ago, pbrock said:

What if one does not have an onward ticket? Possible to book an onward ticket, go back, show onward ticket and this time pass immigration successfully?

Not having an onward ticket isn’t a reason for denial. They look for pre-booked tickets because most ‘typical’ tourists have their flight home/onward already booked. Having an onward ticket shows an intention to leave.

1 hour ago, pbrock said:

How long can one stay in the airport?

Until your flight out. If formally denied entry you’d probably be held in detention until flight time. If informally denied you might be free to roam, or be handed over to the custody of the airline.

1 hour ago, pbrock said:

Can one book a flight? Can one fly only to its country of passport? Country of residence? Or fly to any country if ticket gets booked?

It would be up to immigration. All are possible. In most cases they will insist you are flown back to the country you flew from by the airline that carried you.

• Like 1

If coming frequently to Thailand, and spending significant time here, the first rule is do not use visa exempt entries at airports if there is any reasonable alternative. You are many times more likely to be denied entering visa exempt than with an actual visa.

If you come in at an airport, and they ask to see cash which you do not have, that is almost certainly that. You will be forced back to your last embarkation point, your requests to visit an ATM being ignored. That would not stop you getting the cash and flying to Thailand again, but you would obviously be likely to face increased scrutiny if your denial of entry was official.

• Like 2

About outward ticket. Usually the airline you are flying to Thailand will want to see an outward bound reservation if you do not have a round trip ticket on their airline. I had a one way ticket and the only reason they let me fly is that I got an O-A visa ahead of the flight from Thai Embassy in my country.

Some of the comments on here are not true.

If you do not have a suitable visa & are requesting a visa on arrival , immigration has every right to refuse entry without an onward confirmed ticket ,,,, look it up it is at their discretion

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

If you do not have a suitable visa & are requesting a visa on arrival , immigration has every right to refuse entry without an onward confirmed ticket ,,,, look it up it is at their discretion

Like that in many countries. In the USA they can deny entry even if you have a visa.

37 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

" In addition, they fulfill the requirement  at Immigration."

My understanding is that they want to see cash in any currency, not TC.?

Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand >>> More

3 hours ago, jspill said:

Because there are no ATMs before passport control, so you have to carry a wad of cash around before even embarking for Thailand, risk losing it en route and on the way to your hotel. Or even longer if you don't have a Thai bank account to deposit it into, or a hotel safe (not that they're always reliable). Until you've spent most of it.

Are you sure about no ATM's before passport control ? My memory seems to remember a number of these machines just prior to Immigration at Suvernabhumi. I can rember once I forgot my ATM pin so  resorted to getting Baht from one of the money changers using a CC.

Said this before but who on earth is crossing borders (and from Europe and the States its a long way at that)  without at least 20,000 equivalent is just plain bizarre. Am well aware people transfer to Thai accounts etc and use atms but I wouldnt come with less than £3000 under any circumstances let alone £450. You just dont know when you might need hard currency.

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thaidream said:

If someone is worried about losing their cash- get travelers checks- they are refundable if lost or stolen and can be cashed at any exchange outlet. In addition, they fulfill the requirement  at Immigration.

Travelers checks?  Does anyone use them anymore?  That is so 1970s!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Said this before but who on earth is crossing borders (and from Europe and the States its a long way at that)  without at least 20,000 equivalent is just plain bizarre. Am well aware people transfer to Thai accounts etc and use atms but I wouldnt come with less than £3000 under any circumstances let alone £450. You just dont know when you might need hard currency.

Because it's way safer and more convenient just to use an ATM or better yet a credit/debit card.  Granted, I will usually max the ATM for the sake of minimizing ATM fees, but having a fat wallet stuffed with cash is both physically and in terms of risk uncomfortable.  I've traveled all over the world for years, and have never had issues with ATMs.  I keep enough "safety money" in large bills to tide me over in case of issues, separate from my daily wallet, but aside from the immigration requirement (which has never been asked of me), I see no reason to subject myself to that level of cash-in-hand.  Besides, in my experience, using the ATM in-country ends up being the most cost-effective option in terms of fees and exchange rate penalty.  I'm lucky to get ATM fees refunded (up to $15/mo) even internationally, but even without, the exchange rate you'd get at a bank without hunting down a good-rate booth justifies just using an ATM and getting a mid-market rate.  Even better, my CC has a 0% FTF and gets the mid-market rate, so it is by far the cheapest option for payment whenever accepted.

I know some people who came of age when all card transactions were conducted on carbon paper may not trust the reliability of electronic systems, but any issue I've ever seen has been transitory, much less so than having an airport security person skim your wallet or having it fall out of your pants while sitting on the john.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

You are probably referring to visa exempt entry, not visa on arrival. There is no law or published regulation giving immigration the authority to deny entry specifically because the visitor doesn’t have an onward ticket.

1 hour ago, my friend I said:

If you are refused entry ask to see the O.I.C.. Works well. Be polite.

If you are refused entry, it is not by the first person you talk to an the immigration booth. You have already been referred to a senior official (at a land border, the most senior official, at an airport, the top official they will let you see unless, say, you have the business card of one of the top brass in which case you should have "helpfully" ensured this was visible earlier).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biggles45 said:

" In addition, they fulfill the requirement  at Immigration."

My understanding is that they want to see cash in any currency, not TC.?

The rules allow for travellers cheques too.

• Like 1

Over the past 30-plus years I've entered Thailand by plane at least100 times -- with 30-day non-visa, with tourist visas, and, over the past 6 years, with a Thai Elite Visa. I've also done many border runs by land and air (many in same day).

During this time, I have NEVER been denied entry, nor asked to show any amount of money, or show any kind of onward ticket, or anything similar. In fact, I can't remember ever being asked anything.

11 hours ago, jspill said:

Because there are no ATMs before passport control, so you have to carry a wad of cash around before even embarking for Thailand,

A wad of cash??? 20,000Thb is about what $600-$700 USD come one 6-7 $100 bills, not that much. Any tourist should have this. If worried about loosing it use Traveler Checks. 

Been coming to Thailand since 1997 on visa exemption and Non-OA visa and have not once ever been asked to show 20,000. Most of the time I am entering 5-6 times a year and I have only been asked to x-ray my bags once and one other time taken to Customs as I have 'to many bags'. to search for undeclared goods (booze and cigs).

Regardless if having 20,000 and the proper visa etc - Immigration in any country has the right to refuse you entry.  It is at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

MJ