Police urge pool safety after toddler drowns at Phuket villa

webfact

Police urge pool safety after toddler drowns at Phuket villa

The Phuket News

1524807924_1-org.jpg

Police are urging parents to keep an eye on their children near house pools after a 9-month-old toddler drowned at a Phuket home on Monday (April 23). Photo: Raphael Biscaldi

PHUKET: Police are urging parents of infants and young children to keep their young ones in sight at all times after a horrific incident on Monday (April 23) resulted in a 9-month-old boy drowning at an expat family’s home in Cherng Talay.

Police were notified of the incident at 10am on Monday by the parents, who Capt Nareupon Taewlae of the Cherng Talay Police said were an expat couple living on the island. The mother is Filipino, he noted.

“The parents told officers that they forgot to close the door to the pool terrace,” Capt Nareupon Taewlae told The Phuket News.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-urge-pool-safety-after-toddler-drowns-at-phuket-villa-66918.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-04-27

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

Condolescences to the family, not the time for harsh words.

Unfortunately very very sad.

It is a problem that is very widespread.

Even in Oz which has very very strict laws on pool safety and stringent pool gencing regulations deaths still occur unfotunately.

• Like 1

The police comment is heartless.
I can point out numerous things on a daily basis that can be publishable by law but nothing is ever done.
Probably looking for an angle to leverage money from the grieving parents.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, sebastion said:

The police seem to think its neglect. Why would he bring it up?
I see young kids speeding on motorbikes daily yet where is the neglect charges on their parents?
Double standard because it's an expat couple.

It was a simple reminder to Parents to keep an eye on their Children when using swimming pools .

Its rather paranoid to think that they Police wanted to charge the Parents or get a bribe .

The Police were commenting on this case . what would like them to have said ?

33 minutes ago, sebastion said:

The police seem to think its neglect. Why would he bring it up?
I see young kids speeding on motorbikes daily yet where is the neglect charges on their parents?

Where are the neglect charges in this case?

• Like 1

Where are the neglect charges in this case?
Open the link. Read the article.
He hasn't interviewed them yet but "reminds" people of child neglect laws.
Doesn't sound very positive.

36 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Open the link. Read the article.
He hasn't interviewed them yet but "reminds" people of child neglect laws.
Doesn't sound very positive.

Exactly, read the article.

Anybody who thinks properly will see there was no threat of a negligence charge on the parents.

• Like 1

Exactly, read the article.

Anybody who thinks properly will see there was no threat of a negligence charge on the parents.
You can interpret any which way you like.
This was hardly a case of neglect and anyone who reads the article would realise this.
The police must have their doubts because he bought it up. Either they think the baby was neglected or they see it as a money spinner. Take your pick.
I'm leaning toward the latter.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, sebastion said:

This was hardly a case of neglect and anyone who reads the article would realise this.
The police must have their doubts because he bought it up. Either they think the baby was neglected or they see it as a money spinner. Take your pick.

Or they just warn people to look after their kids.

And if course you are leaning toward the latter.

12 hours ago, sebastion said:

Criminal neglect leading to an innocent child's death -- why cloud the issue with talk about double standards?

It's not only irrelevant to the issue at hand, but is also thinly veiled Thai-bashing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

Criminal neglect leading to an innocent child's death -- why cloud the issue with talk about double standards?

It's not only irrelevant to the issue at hand, but is also thinly veiled Thai-bashing.

I don't think there is any intention to prosecute, so there is no double standards..

Thai kids seem to drown on a regular basis, sure the majority, if not all those parents are never prosecuted !!

Last year that one woman was collecting lotus flowers in a pond and 3 of her kids drowned... Crazy 

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't think there is any intention to prosecute, so there is no double standards..

Thai kids seem to drown on a regular basis, sure the majority, if not all those parents are never prosecuted !!

Last year that one woman was collecting lotus flowers in a pond and 3 of her kids drowned... Crazy 

Sebastion was talking about double standards, BradinAsia was refuting that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sebastion said:

Who's responsible then, the Buddha?  

Of course it’s neglect even if unintentional, but no one is perfect, certainly not me. I would like to see all pools fenced with child safe gates, as mandated in Australia, to at least protect parents from themselves. But I have never seen one pool protected in this way in Thailand, so don’t anticipate any change soon. Kids aren’t even made to learn to swim here, consequently thousands of them drown with little official interest. Probably a race to see if they drown before being killed on the roads.

33 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sebastion was talking about double standards, BradinAsia was refuting that.

There were no double standards though , because the Policeman was talking about ALL Parents , this wasnt a threat of prosecution, just a reminder that the law requires Parents to be vigilant .

14 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Unfortunately very very sad.

It is a problem that is very widespread.

Even in Oz which has very very strict laws on pool safety and stringent pool gencing regulations deaths still occur unfotunately.

But Thailand does not appear to have ANY pool safety requirements.   Even a very deep quarry in Chiang Mai which has seen a few drownings, has no lifeline, no life buoys.

Given that the majority of adult Thais cannot swim, let alone children, I find this totally amazing and neglectful.

Having been to close for comfort in a very similar event 15 years ago with a two year old I am at a total loss of how a parent can take their eyes off a baby long enough for this to happen especially one of 9 months! something now they will have to live with.  

31 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There were no double standards though , because the Policeman was talking about ALL Parents , this wasnt a threat of prosecution, just a reminder that the law requires Parents to be vigilant .

Yes, I have said that a few times here already.

14 hours ago, sebastion said:

He implied neglect. Why else bring up punishable by law?
That's the last thing the parents need to read or hear when grieving.
Thats what is heartless.
It's funny time to remind people about the legalities of parenting when it's clearly an accident.

But it was neglect. When you have kids you can't turn off for a second. Sure it's stressful, but that is a choice people make. If you have kids it's a 24/7 job with danger around every corner. They forgot to close the door, and if the cards are against you there is a price to be paid for that. Yes it was an accident, but one caused by carelessness.

16 hours ago, sebastion said:

It's funny time to remind people about the legalities of parenting when it's clearly an accident.

And "accidents" are just that - avoidable! A good time to publicly remind parents and carers of children, of their responsibilities. :thumbsup: