SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Getting and the conditions of Visa, immigration AND Work Permit are the biggest sorrow, together with 90 days nonsense of course.

Another issue is whatever you want to manage in a governmental office you surely will have another information than in another office, say 50 meters away.

2 hours ago, Sapporillo said:

As for the food, if you absolutely have to go to a ‘farang’-food restaurant, of course it’s gonna be expensive, it’s a niche market. In my experience, it goes both ways: go to a Thai restaurant in Switzerland and order a dish of rice and chicken curry, and it will be 20-30% more expensive than a premium steak with homemade French fries - people are willing to pay for it because it’s ‘exotic’, it’s as simple as that. 

To illustrate your point, here are a couple of current day Thai restaurant window menus from Paris. A plate of vegetarian fried rice in the first restaurant costing 6.50 Euros + 10% tax + 15% tip, for a total of 8.125 Euros (or 317 baht), can commonly be found in Thailand for as little as 35-40 baht or about one tenth of the Paris price. 

IMG_20180419_104032.thumb.jpg.69e091cc5873ad02f3210ba1c5afee35.jpgIMG_20180421_104828.thumb.jpg.b10a7c03a91421a129c5bdd2855111f1.jpg

Edited by Gecko123

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

To illustrate your point, here are a couple of current day Thai restaurant window menus from Paris. A plate of vegetarian fried rice in the first restaurant costing 6.50 Euros + 10% tax + 15% tip, for a total of 8.125 Euros (or 317 baht), can commonly be found in Thailand for as little as 35-40 baht or about one tenth of the Paris price. 

IMG_20180419_104032.thumb.jpg.69e091cc5873ad02f3210ba1c5afee35.jpgIMG_20180421_104828.thumb.jpg.b10a7c03a91421a129c5bdd2855111f1.jpg

You compare prices Paris vs Isaan? I haven't seen 40 THB fried rice in a proper restaurant in Bangkok.

Not to mention the Paris portion is likely twice as big, and from significantly better ingredients.

On 29/4/2561 at 6:09 PM, Aj Mick said:
Rising costs, affordability, financial concerns
  • After 15 years employed as a teacher in a tertiary institution my base pay has gone up by about 40%. However allowances have not increased in many years, and they are now taxed. My net pay has increased by about 18%..... the old give 2 and take one back. 
  •  
  • Add to that a 50% in teaching hours..... and with increased class sizes, 60 - 80% increase in rolls. An increased documentation required.
  •  
  • Meanwhile the cost of living has about doubled.
  •  
Another issue is the documentation and hassle required for visa and work permits......  Thus living in the country on the basis of annual contract and permitted to stay on the basis of a highly satisfying job albeit with limited prospects, rights and freedoms.

I have a wonderful self satisfying job.

I am retired.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, meechai said:

Pretty much every reason on the list is a valid reason

Truthfully unless your seeking cheap  living or sex Thailand does not offer much.

"Quality" of life is quite low overall

Really?

Where I live in rural Thailand is in my wifes house on 2 1/2 acres. In the UK when I was married before I lived in a 3 bed semi house with small front and back gardens owned jointly between me, my wife and the Halifax building society.

Now I can cook and eat whatever I want and everything is paid for, house, land, pickup truck, 2 motorbike etc.

Why would I need cheap sex at 73 years old?

Visas are no problem, 90 day reports I do every 3 months when I do a bulk shop in Khampaeng Phet.

The only thing that really concerns me is the cost of living but that is due to Brexit and nothing to do with Thailand.

1 hour ago, NutsMango said:

You compare prices Paris vs Isaan? I haven't seen 40 THB fried rice in a proper restaurant in Bangkok.

Not to mention the Paris portion is likely twice as big, and from significantly better ingredients.

How do you define a proper restaurant?

There are plenty of places that sell good food at reasonable prices in the same way that there are plenty of excellent restaurants that sell exactly the same food at extortionate prices.

• Like 1

Noise.... specifically base beats from endless parties, weddings, funerals, festivals etc.

Seems now almost every night (and throughout the day) from one direction or the other comes the constant 'de dum dum dum, de dum dum dum).    Not always very loud, but even quietly the base noise can not be escaped and gets right under my skin!

Lived in several location here over the years and its getting worse.. even out in the countryside it can be louder than in the city!!!

I am just grateful that it usually stops after midnight.  Once they accept the noise can go into the early hours (outside tourist places) I will be off to another country.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Self satisfaction is great, but it doesn’t count as a proper hobby

Of course it does.

As a hobby I also make bread, bread rolls, ham, bacon, sausages, pate, burgers, pies, and hopefully this week I will try to make corned beef American style.

I also make biscuits but I confess my cakes are not that good.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

What about your buns?

They are reet tasty.

My son and my Thai neighbour like them as do both Thai and farang friends in the local villages. However I wouldn't want to start a business as a baker as it is too much like hard work plus I would have to change my visa extension and get my wife to form a company to employ me.

The cost would be high as I would have to upgrade all my baking equipment, rent a shop in the big village, employ staff and start work around 3 am, 7 days a week, which would bugger up the little social life that I have.

I would like to go on a proper course to learn how to bake bread properly and cake making but purely for myself.

I am 73, (74 next month) and I retired 9 years ago.

I make stuff for me and for friends but at my age, bugger working for a living.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Noise.... specifically base beats from endless parties, weddings, funerals, festivals etc.

Seems now almost every night (and throughout the day) from one direction or the other comes the constant 'de dum dum dum, de dum dum dum).    Not always very loud, but even quietly the base noise can not be escaped and gets right under my skin!

Lived in several location here over the years and its getting worse.. even out in the countryside it can be louder than in the city!!!

I am just grateful that it usually stops after midnight.  Once they accept the noise can go into the early hours (outside tourist places) I will be off to another country.  

My #1 pet bugbear of living in LOS as well. IMHO this constitutes noise pollution, pure and simple. I will, however, readily admit that I do reciprocate by cranking up the bass on my stereo system whenever the boom-boom racket coming from outside really does get too intrusive for my liking (my ears are, I think, as sensitive as yours).

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

On ‎30‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, sirineou said:

I reside in NY and Florida, I don't think there any place in the US further away from Thailand than  Florida. Until I retire  june 2019 , I make the trip at least once a year.

The plane trip requires a lot of alcohol. LOL

Lived in Boca and that travel alone keeps me here. Have a place in NE Brazil and the best flight is 36 hours!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cranky said:

Ball Hooks. This is the site that reckons you can get a three course meal for two in a 'mid-range'  restaurant for 850 Baht.  Good luck with that.  For those of us that like a decent bottle of wine and a bit of cheese, drive a half decent motor and enjoy all things imported the costs here are absurd, try putting the cost of kids education (if it affects you) into the equation.

It probably depends on where you live in Thailand (regarding food and lodging). If you want to drive a 700 series BMW, or a decent bottle of wine then the prices are outrageous here in Thailand. If you only want to eat food from whatever country you came from then prices are outrageous here in Thailand.  In Hawaii we put our son in daycare and it cost over 15,000 baht a month (this was 15 years ago and that was an inexpensive facility) and all the kids did was run around a playground and take naps. 

However, if you do not live in a foreign tourist hellhole (my opinion) and can eat local Thai food most of the time it can be incredibly inexpensive to live here in Thailand. But in the end everyone is different and many factors go into how expensive (or inexpensive) it is to live anywhere.

• Like 2

The downside for me after 14+ years living in Thailand with these verbal and two minor physical confrontations:

- Thai idiots with dogs.
- Farang idiots with dogs
- Thai idiots water dowsing me at point blank range while walking or on motorbike during Songkran .

... but nothing that ever required any legal intervention so, as has been noted before, I don't understand and am ill-informed as to the procedures for legal / official intervention. But all-in-all I'll take it.

7 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Second, there's a fair amount of hype out there about artisanal food manufacturers and small family farms and chestnut fed pigs, but the majority of food is produced on an almost industrial scale, and pesticides and herbicides are used around the world, so the idea that higher prices necessarily equates to higher quality isn't necessarily true. I am more and more of the opinion that what is driving those higher food costs in the West are higher labor, land, rent, and overhead (insurance, regulation, etc.), rather than any factors which improve the product quality.

Absolutely true. I’ve been working briefly in the industry, delivering meat, chicken, fish and the like to all kinds of restaurants, and since then I hardly ever go out eating in restaurants, unless I have no choice (when I’m on the road or on vacation). 99% get their supplies from the same sources, and unless I’m 100% sure that a particular restaurant gets their fish (as an example) every day from local fishermen, I’ll choose something cheap and easy to cook from the menu, like pizza or pasta, because otherwise it will just be frozen, imported stuff from industrialized farms, with lots of antibiotics and other fine add-ons on top. 

39 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

<snip> otherwise it will just be frozen, imported stuff from industrialized farms, with lots of antibiotics and other fine add-ons on top. 

So when Thai BETAGRO says e.g. chicken breast:

• No antibiotics 
• No hormones used
• No growth promotants used 
• No harmful pathogens

You don't believe them? http://www.betagro.com/food/en/product/1220/153

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

So when Thai BETAGRO says e.g. chicken breast:

• No antibiotics 
• No hormones used
• No growth promotants used 
• No harmful pathogens

You don't believe them? http://www.betagro.com/food/en/product/1220/153

Hmmm...at a glance, impossible to tell, and I don’t care all that much either. My point was, don’t expect higher quality (healthier) ingredients in expensive restaurants, unless you’re willing to spend at least a hundred or hundreds (US$ or Euro) for a single meal, or unless you know the place and its suppliers and you’ve done your “research” yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1