Oops! Thai bank transfers half a million baht to the wrong account

webfact

52 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

The way out works in my country is you give them your bank card and the money, no paper involved, the girl flashes your card on the side of her computer and types in the amount to your account details on the screen, receipt is printed by computer, you check it and leave....all done in three minutes !

The banking system in Thailand is like almost everything else....300 years out of date.

Sounds outdated compared to what they do in Thailand.. here I can do the same in under a minute on the computer with Kasikorn no need to go to a bank. Where are you from ? :sorry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I also think she didn't have the account number, so it was done by name.

What is just a real stupid thing to do, I mean sending such a large amount of money without an account number.. is not a bright idea. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

What is just a real stupid thing to do, I mean sending such a large amount of money without an account number.. is not a bright idea. 

Agreed, but it shifts the burden of responsibility from the teller to the customer. 

It was most definitely the teller's responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Thai bank Krung Sri Ayudhya mistakenly put more than half a million baht in the wrong account because the first name was the same and the surname similar."

The reason wasn't that the surname was similar. The reason was that the employee of the bank screwed up and didn't know how to perform his required duties. It's always someone or something else's fault, No one knows how to take responsibility and then rectify the error by improving the system. 

Agreed. Most probably just a stupid excuse - sounds better than: "Sorry, but our staff doesn't pay much attention to account details..." - How the bank can mix up 'Nisapha' and 'Suwapha' is beyond me. I've never heard that in another country the bank gives you a call, telling you: "Sorry, Mr. Robertson, but accidentally we transferred your money to Mr. Williamson's account, cause the names are just so similar..."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, the next time Khun Wanna goes to a bank to deposit money she needs to provide/know the account number to deposit to versus just giving the bank a person's name to transfer to.  Lots of people with similar or even same name...can cause all kinds of errors.   

Agree and IMHO derelict and totally unprofessional for the bank to go ahead with this transfer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Agreed. Most probably just a stupid excuse - sounds better than: "Sorry, but our staff doesn't pay much attention to account details..." - How the bank can mix up 'Nisapha' and 'Suwapha' is beyond me. I've never heard that in another country the bank gives you a call, telling you: "Sorry, Mr. Robertson, but accidentally we transferred your money to Mr. Williamson's account, cause the names are just so similar..."

I wonder what action (if any) the HO of this bank has taken and what they have said to the local branch manager.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Well why didn't the bank take a professional appraoch and quickly ask the deposit for an account number?

Here I fully agree.

They shouldn't have tried!

They wanted to be nice and not send them away to get the correct details.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Here I fully agree.

They shouldn't have tried!

They wanted to be nice and not send them away to get the correct details.

I know that feeling all to well often i get not all the correct data from clients. Its annoying to keep asking them for stuff but its the best thing to do. 

4 hours ago, SABloke said:

So your name is more relevant than your bank account number in the Thai banking system? :shock1: 

"Laziness" comes to mind, .. a common occurrence in The Land Of Smiles !!! 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I disagree with the a number of posts.

It's not simply the "banks fault" only.

If I want to send such an amount (in particular):

I should have the correct account number! (which the sender obviously didn't have).

I read the transfer slip with name and account no. before signing (which is mandatory).

How would this work in your country?

Well the answers you will get are going to range from brilliant to perfect because everything back in the home country is perfect. 

Do keep up.

The reality is that banking globally is on the nose.

In australia there is a royal commission and even at this early stage the level of incompetence, irregularity and downright deceit are shocking everyone. 

Uk and ysa banks showed during the gfc they werent much better and little has changed. 

But for some ( not all ) a mistake highlighted at one thaibank brings a deluge of calls of incompetency across the entire thai banking system

Strangely the thai banks were relatively unscathed by the gfc which speaks volumes. 

Like everything there are good and bad apples in every barrel.

Why this is hard to accept for so many bewilders me.

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, robblok said:

You won't get that information easy from Dutch banks either (and they do have it) only with a police report or something like that. There is such a thing as privacy.

What I don't get in this story is why they just did not check the account number. Surely someone did not try to send money to someone else without an account number ?

I was thinking that too. Surely people can't send money to a person without an account number, and with the account number, how can there be a mistake, even if the names are identical.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Thai bank Krung Sri Ayudhya mistakenly put more than half a million baht in the wrong account because the first name was the same and the surname similar."

The reason wasn't that the surname was similar. The reason was that the employee of the bank screwed up and didn't know how to perform his required duties. It's always someone or something else's fault, No one knows how to take responsibility and then rectify the error by improving the system. 

Perhaps another reason may be that the depositor didn't know the account number of the account to be credited and when he signed the deposit slip confirming the transaction didn't notice the incorrect name.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

You be surprised how little information the tellers and the bank staff

for that matter has on their screens when it comes to where your monies

go, apart from name and account  number they have nothing showing,

and if you want more info on a customer like address, ID number or

god forbid a picture, you're up a stone wall faces... 

"...if you want more info on a customer like address, ID number or

god forbid a picture, you're up a stone wall faces..." 

You mean the sort of information that you are not entitled to have?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

I was thinking that too. Surely people can't send money to a person without an account number, and with the account number, how can there be a mistake, even if the names are identical.

In fact suely part of the teller's actions or process should be to insert the customer number which would bring up a name and the teller then checks that there's a match (account number matches the name written on the deposit document). 

If no match the teller should automatically hold everything and ask some questions...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Of course it is the bank's fault!

They sent it to an account holder with a different name.

If the teller felt there was insufficient information, she could have declined the transaction; she really should have done this imo, since there was no account number given.

If the depositor signed the deposit slip why should the cashier have to query it?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I would definitely not be surprised after being told the banks keep no account records past 12 months.    Now that did surprise me!

Who told you that the banks don't keep records for more than a year that's interesting

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

If the depositor signed the deposit slip why should the cashier have to query it?

Circular argument.  It was the account selected by the teller of course.  Ultimately the teller has to get the job right: just about everyone accepts that he/she selected the wrong account, and should have declined the transfer anyway as there was insufficient information,ie, no account number.  The teller is at fault-end of.