Standard soda water in Thailand -- is it seltzer or club soda?

Jingthing

I'm pretty big on drinking soda water with meals in Thailand. 

For various reasons --

I like it.

I like water too, but soda water is more festive.

It's cheap.

It's no calorie. 

I do have one drink a day (beer or vodka) but not usually with meals out.

But I must admit I haven't been totally clear on the differences between the different names for water that has carbonation.

Well, this article seems to clear that up.

But now my question is about whether the standard soda water in Thailand is seltzer or club soda. They are apparently very similar but not the same:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/29/seltzer-vs-club-soda_n_1434891.html

Seltzer water and club soda are very similar, but there is a notable difference between the two. Unlike seltzer, mineral-like ingredients are added to club soda to enhance the flavor. If you look on the list of ingredients, you’ll likely see potassium bicarbonate and potassium sulfate listed. Regardless, you could still swap one for the other without really being able to pick up on a difference of taste (though according to some, it can be detected).

And now for a mini-rant about restaurant pricing for soda water. I may be weird but usually I actually prefer to drink soda water (or water) with meals other than a more typical beer. Some restaurants price their water just under the cheapest beer price. That is so annoying. It's not as if we don't know their cost for water is much less than beer. They're basically acting as PUSHERS for the booze. Don't want booze? Tough luck, we'll SOAK you for a water. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

How do you reckon the cost for soda water is much less than beer?

Do you use less glasses?

Do the bottles take up less space, need less refrigeration?  

Maybe there are economies of scale - are you more likely to knock back six pints and go on to the hard stuff drinking soda water?

• Like 1

I guess you also complain about the cost of cola in GoGo bars. There are reasons why it cost more than in a supermarket...

No. Not talking about bars and if I went I would order beer anyway there.  You don't understand what I am talking about. Not complaining at all about a standard restaurant markup. Complaining about a distorted ratio markup of waters relative to beer.   

For example here is a normal mid level restaurant pricing. Nothing to complain it with that.

Water 30

Soda Water 40

Tiger 80

Here is cynical manipulation also mid level restaurant pricing.

Water 55

Soda Water 65

Tiger 80

Everyone knows the ratio is out of whack on that just by seeing prices at 7 11.

Such prices obviously encourage more people to order beer than really want it because it seems stupid to pay almost as much for water as beer. I don't like being engineered like that.

Also not talking about high end and fancy hotel restaurants. People expect to be extorted for everything there. Talking about more everyday level of midrange restaurants.

Low end places generally don't play such games.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So really nobody knows if standard Thai soda water is equivalent to seltzer or club soda?

I'm disappointed.. No water nerds here?

I would bet Thai sodas are just carbonated water - wouldn't they otherwise boast a list of mineral ingredients on the label to show off ?

I would bet Thai sodas are just carbonated water - wouldn't they otherwise boast a list of mineral ingredients on the label to show off ?

Mineral water is a different thing entirely. The standard Thai soda water is definitely not mineral water. Neither is club soda. Refer to the link. I reckon you don't know the answer here. Neither do I.

Or maybe no one knows water seltzer water is? Is this another two countries separated by a common language thread?

Carbonated commonly called soda water water is just water that has been carbonated. Carbonation is the process that causes the water to become effervescent. As beer is carbonated and most Thai carbonated water is produced by brewers then it is probably safe to assume that it is produced the same way. Water is carbonated under pressure by passing through a mixer where carbon dioxide gas is metered in then the whole tank is kept and bottled under pressure. ( I have commissioned one system) 

Some mineral waters are naturally carbonated (Perrier) and bottled at source or transported under pressure to a bottling plant.  

Club soda in theory contains bicarbonate of soda. To aid digestion? No idea how they make it.  I've never looked but Schwepes club soda maybe available here? In Villa or...

Nerds would use this?

448px-Whisky_&_Soda.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Mineral water is a different thing entirely. The standard Thai soda water is definitely not mineral water. Neither is club soda. Refer to the link. I reckon you don't know the answer here. Neither do I.

did you read the text you quoted?

"mineral-like ingredients"

Or maybe no one knows water seltzer water is? Is this another two countries separated by a common language thread?

Carbonated commonly called soda water water is just water that has been carbonated. Carbonation is the process that causes the water to become effervescent. As beer is carbonated and most Thai carbonated water is produced by brewers then it is probably safe to assume that it is produced the same way. Water is carbonated under pressure by passing through a mixer where carbon dioxide gas is metered in then the whole tank is kept and bottled under pressure. ( I have commissioned one system) 

Some mineral waters are naturally carbonated (Perrier) and bottled at source or transported under pressure to a bottling plant.  

Club soda in theory contains bicarbonate of soda. To aid digestion? No idea how they make it.  I've never looked but Schwepes club soda maybe available here? In Villa or...

Nerds would use this?

448px-Whisky_%26_Soda.jpg&key=a74f36e783965452fcb6749e1552fef591c7da2d7545c818019f52c4fae751d2

So you're saying it is seltzer water based on the terms used in the article. But another guess I reckon.

Didn't read any article so no I am saying it is carbonated water. Bubbly water, fizzy water call it what you will . I call it soda water. In many countries it comes in a soda syphon. (Argentine, Austria etc.)

Edited by VocalNeal

Didn't read any article so no I am saying it is carbonated water. Bubbly water, fizzy water call it what you will .

So you're sure the Thai soda water has nothing added above the water and carbonation? I don't think you're sure. I'm looking for more than guesses.

Then you have to go to the plant and ask. Or take a bottle to an independent lab.  That would be the way. How anyone on here can tell you without guessing is if they work at Chang/Singha etc. or have tested a bottle before.

Here even if it has Club written on the bottle there is no certainty. As has been said if it has "impurities" they would go out of their way to tell us so as the be different from the others.

Then you have to go to the plant and ask. Or take a bottle to an independent lab.  That would be the way. How anyone on here can tell you without guessing is if they work at Chang/Singha etc. or have tested a bottle before.

Here even if it has Club written on the bottle there is no certainty. As has been said if it has "impurities" they would go out of their way to tell us so as the be different from the others.

Not sure anyone can say for sure. But I asked anyway. Hope that is OK with you.

Also to add the article says some people can tell the difference between club soda and seltzer by taste. So anyone like that here would be more than guessing if they can post about it.

Cheers.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the term seltzer water is American as I never heard that term before.

Can one buy both bottles of seltzer water and club soda. Or is club soda the term applied to bottled "seltzer" water? 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the term seltzer water is American as I never heard that term before.
Can one buy both bottles of seltzer water and club soda. Or is club soda the term applied to bottled "seltzer" water? 
Not sure but if we're at the guessing level my guess is that standard Thai soda water is the same as club soda from the article and also standard Agua con gas as ordered in Spain. In other words not just seltzer as per the articles terms.

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure but if we're at the guessing level my guess is that standard Thai soda water is the same as club soda from the article and also standard Agua con gas as ordered in Spain. In other words not just seltzer as per the articles terms.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-is-soda-water-made.htm

Scweppes sells Soda water in some markets and Club soda in others but I can't find them side by side on any site. Their Soda water does not list any added salts. Here in Thailand if they have to add anything it costs so ergo they probably don't.

Edit: Just occurred to me that they may both be byproducts of different industries? Club soda from the soft drinks industry. Coke/Pepsi etc and in Thailand Soda from the brewing industry hence their differences if as you say some people can tell.

Edited by VocalNeal

17 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Scweppes sells Soda water in some markets and Club soda in others but I can't find them side by side on any site. Their Soda water dos not list any added salts. Here in Thailand if they have to add anything it costs so ergo they probably don't.

I don't find much merit in your theory. Industrial food production involves adding chemicals. Chemicals aren't necessarily costly at all compared to the benefit. There might be a functional reason to add a little stuff and in fact, your linked article explains it.

I think you have provided the strongest evidence so far that standard Thai soda water is the same as "club soda" based on the terms in the article in the O.P. -- in other words some chemical used in the production process in addition to the carbonation. That would support my guess that Thai soda water is the same as club soda.

The manufacturing process used for producing the soda water that is used in commercial soft drinks is conducted on an industrial scale. This process, known as carbonation, is accomplished by first lowering the temperature of tap water to 46 degrees Fahrenheit (8 degrees Celsius). A strongly basic and water-soluble source of bicarbonate such as such as sodium or potassium bicarbonate is then added to the chilled water to raise its potenz hydrogen (pH) level and to compensate for the sour flavor of carbonic acid.

For further support here is Schweppe's soda water list of ingredients. SALT ADDED. 

https://www.coca-cola.ie/drinks/schweppes-mixers/schweppes-soda-water

I think we're close to a near definite conclusion.

Thai standard soda water is most probably the same thing as "Club Soda" as per the terms in the O.P. Water/Carbonation/some chemical salt

As opposed to Seltzer as per the terms in the O.P.

Thanks for the feedback. 

I think this is nearly sorted unless somebody has new evidence. 

Edited by Jingthing

Heck, as long as we're "water nerding" here, I've got more to add.

In my experience in the U.S. the only times I've been aware of having seltzer water (as per the terms from the O.P.) has been when it comes from those funny little carbonation making devices previously pictured on this thread. Perhaps I've had water from bottles labeled seltzer water but I don't recall that well.

But some more questions.

When you go to a bar and order a drink like scotch and soda and the water comes from their hose, is that soda water or seltzer (based on the terms in the O.P)? 

I also think some bars are restaurants make their own carbonated water which I would assume is seltzer not soda water (based on the terms in the OP).

Obviously if you order a gin and tonic you're getting tonic water, totally different. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So really nobody knows if standard Thai soda water is equivalent to seltzer or club soda?

I'm disappointed.. No water nerds here?

Jingthing, I drink nothing but soda water everyday and cannot stand the taste of club soda.

I buy both Singha and Rock. I can see no difference between the two except that Rock is less

costly. Btw, I drink between 6 and 10 bottles a day and cannot remember the last time I drank 

any regular water. I used to drink the seltzer water back in the states but that was just cuz' I liked the weird bottles and they reminded me of the clowns antics at the circus.

Edited by Dap

Just now, Dap said:

Jingthing, I drink nothing but soda water everyday and cannot stand the taste of club soda.

I buy both Singha and Rock. I can see no difference between the two except that Rock is less

costly. Btw, I drink between 6 and 10 bottles a day and cannot remember the last time I drank 

any regular water. I hope this helps ya' out.

It doesn't really, but thanks.

You say you don't like club soda but I see strong evidence that the standard Thai soda water is the same thing as club soda as per the terms in the O.P.

^^^It would only be people from the US who know what seltzer water is, as you describe it.  Most other people would call it soda water.  Sadly we are back to the two countries separated by a common language theme. Also as indicated by you perception that the soda syphons used for decades by the inventors of Whisky and Soda are to be called  "those funny little carbonation making devices" 

I'll get my hat.

Edited by VocalNeal

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It doesn't really, but thanks.

You say you don't like club soda but I see strong evidence that the standard Thai soda water is the same thing as club soda as per the terms in the O.P.

Compared to the yellow can (Shwepps ?) I can taste a big difference.

On a lighter, cultural note, about Seltzer water.

I hadn't realized much of this before but it rings a bell.

This guy classes these four things together which isn't really far wrong as most people can't really tell any difference and in some cases, there is no difference:

Seltzer

Sparkling water

Soda water

Club soda

https://www.gq.com/story/seltzer-isnt-a-trend-its-a-way-of-life

Seltzer Isn’t a Trend, It’s a Way of Life

LaCroix might be all the rage right now, but seltzer has a storied history that’s being lost in its food trend ascendance.

Seltzer and New York Jews, however, have a unique history. When Eastern European Jews immigrated to New York’s Lower East Side in the late 19th century, they took “to drinking soda water, perhaps because it was the cheapest beverage on the market except for water,” reports Israeli newspaper Haaertz. “Seltzer was once so commonplace, particularly in Jewish areas, that it was called the Jewish champagne,” 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^^^It would only be people from the US who know what seltzer water is, as you describe it.  Most other people would call it soda water.  Sadly we are back to the two countries separated by a common language theme. Also as indicated by you perception that the soda syphons used for decades by the inventors of Whisky and Soda are to be called  "those funny little carbonation making devices" 

I'll get my hat.

You're hung up on an issue that isn't significant. I used the terms in the OP to define the differences in chemical makeup, that's all. It makes no difference which terms you use as long as we all understand there are differences (sometimes very small) between these different types of carbonated waters. But you insist on making your personal issues with American usage the topic here. It is not.

I wasn't sure what to call those thingies that make the carbonated water on the spot. That's not about American usage but just about me. I described it. You understand what I meant. That's the point. If we understand each other, we can talk about the actual issues. Different countries are going to use different terms. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Dap said:

any regular water. I used to drink the seltzer water back in the states but that was just cuz' I liked the weird bottles and they reminded me of the clowns antics at the circus.

Apart from Singha and Rock, there is also Chang and Leo soda -all available in supermarkets

As far as I am concerned they all taste the same, but the Mrs has recently insisted that Singha is more gassy and therefore better, and thats what I should buy when out shopping.  Only problem is that it is some 20bt/case more expensive than Chang, the cheapest.

Unfortunately, don't have a leg to stand on, since my tipple, Chang beer, is somewhat more expensive than any soda.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dap said:

Compared to the yellow can (Shwepps ?) I can taste a big difference.

Standard soda water in Thailand is not Schweppes. More like Chang soda water. I'm assuming now it has some chemicals and is not "pure" like seltzer (as per the terms outlined in the article in the OP).