Junta Isn’t Poaching Politicians (but could): Prawit

webfact

Junta Isn’t Poaching Politicians (but could): Prawit

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

8-4-696x475.jpg

Prawit Wongsuwan walk alongside Prayuth Chan-ocha to a Cabinet meeting on Jan. 21, 2017.

BANGKOK — Deputy junta leader Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan said Monday the junta is not luring politicians to support its return to power after elections.

With a growing list of declarations and defections that appear to be stacking the deck in favor of the junta leader serving post-election as an unelected prime minister, Prawit denied the junta is pulling the strings.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/04/30/junta-isnt-poaching-politicians-but-could-prawit/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-01

The junta is poaching politicians, that much is clear the only reason its unfair is because others are not allowed to campaign. But otherwise its no different from what the political parties do themselves promise politicians jobs in were they can enrich themselves. When the democrats formed the coalition with Newin his party they gave them all the good ministeries. The PTP often moves its ministers around giving many a chance to steal money.

The way I see it the only unfair thing is that others are not allowed to campaign right now so the playing field is not level.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, robblok said:

The junta is poaching politicians, that much is clear the only reason its unfair is because others are not allowed to campaign. But otherwise its no different from what the political parties do themselves promise politicians jobs in were they can enrich themselves. When the democrats formed the coalition with Newin his party they gave them all the good ministeries. The PTP often moves its ministers around giving many a chance to steal money.

The way I see it the only unfair thing is that others are not allowed to campaign right now so the playing field is not level.

You are right. And It's only one unfair thing in a long list of others, such as appointing the Senate and the EC, sending civil servants to campaign, and the future restrictions to campaigning that they will likely impose after lifting the ban.

7 minutes ago, candide said:

You are right. And It's only one unfair thing in a long list of others, such as appointing the Senate and the EC, sending civil servants to campaign, and the future restrictions to campaigning that they will likely impose after lifting the ban.

Yes the playing field has been unfair, the party in power always has an advantage of course (PTP did in the past) being able to spend government money to boost their popularity just like the junta is now doing. But at least during the time of the PTP the democrats could campaign too. Making the field a little more equal. No denying that the junta certainly stacks the deck in its favor. I would hate to see Prayut returning but the chances are growing. 

Still they need a lot of votes to make that happen (far from a majority but still quite a lot). I wonder how many votes these things (defecting politicians, junta popular policies) are going to steal from PTP and Democrats. It will be an interesting election to say the least. 

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Still they need a lot of votes to make that happen (far from a majority but still quite a lot). I wonder how many votes these things (defecting politicians, junta popular policies) are going to steal from PTP and Democrats. It will be an interesting election to say the least. 

They don't need much votes to block other parties. 15% of seats for Junta friendly parties is enough to prevent the election of a PM by the lower chamber (unless the PTP and the Dems make an alliance, but I don't believe in it). Then goes the outsider PM procedure. Thanks to the appointed senate they can also block the election of any other PM too.

And in case of deadlock, I have no doubt the current PM will be ready to sacrifice himself for the country by remaining in power! :smile:

Of course, if they get more than 15% of votes, they will have a bit more legitimacy....

• Like 1

Just now, candide said:

They don't need much votes to block other parties. 15% of seats for Junta friendly parties is enough to prevent the election of a PM by the lower chamber (unless the PTP and the Dems make an alliance, but I don't believe in it). Then goes the outsider PM procedure. Thanks to the appointed senate they can also block the election of any other PM too.

And in case of deadlock, I have no doubt the current PM will be ready to sacrifice himself for the country by remaining in power! :smile:

Of course, if they get more than 15% of votes, they will have a bit more legitimacy....

The whole question is are people bound to a party or bound to a political figure.. Because loads of them have defected from both Democrats and PTP. Would the people still vote democrat / PTP or follow their political figure. It will be interesting not in the least if Prayut gets a lot of votes it shows people don't care about parties but about their local leaders (won't go as far as to attribute this to Prayut)

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The whole question is are people bound to a party or bound to a political figure.. Because loads of them have defected from both Democrats and PTP. Would the people still vote democrat / PTP or follow their political figure. It will be interesting not in the least if Prayut gets a lot of votes it shows people don't care about parties but about their local leaders (won't go as far as to attribute this to Prayut)

Yes, it is quite interesting. I think there will be an "indifference to Prayuth remaining PM" factor. If they follow their political figures, it means they don't mind having Prayuth as PM. If they don't follow it means either that thay are more attached to their party, or that they don't want Prayuth.

When given an invitation to feed at the trough, and the Thai attitude of me, me, me first, I don't think there will be a shortage of defectors joining the Junta ticket.... Screw the party manifesto, what's my cut?

4 minutes ago, candide said:

Yes, it is quite interesting. I think there will be an "indifference to Prayuth remaining PM" factor. If they follow their political figures, it means they don't mind having Prayuth as PM. If they don't follow it means either that thay are more attached to their party, or that they don't want Prayuth.

Exactly that is the way i see it too. I am curious about the elections how they will go. I don't wan't to see Prayut return, but if he does his power will be more limited than before. He will have a hard time dealing with that he likes full control like the army man he is.

But on the other hand if an other party wins they will lose a lot of votes in that year because they will have a lot of unpopular things to do plus a lot of leftover stuff from the junta to deal with. I think being in the opposition would be better for them. Though the parties themselves might not think so as in the opposition no money is to be made. 

Didn’t the junta said that politicians are lacking in ethics and the cause of the nation problems. Now they are sucking them all up especially those politicians who will

prostrate themselves and sell out their democratic values for positions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yellowboat said:

Predators, all of them.  If you want your child to excel in Thailand, do not teach him ethics, rule of law or philosophy, as this will only hold him back.  Teach him not to have a compassion, manners or decency, so that he may rise to the pinnacle of Thai society. 

Maybe a school for crooks with Prawit as the principal. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Didn’t the junta said that politicians are lacking in ethics and the cause of the nation problems. Now they are sucking them all up especially those politicians who will

prostrate themselves and sell out their democratic values for positions.  

Before this the junta already demonstrated they don't practice what they preach. They only went after corruption of their enemies. Now they do the same they accused politicians of. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Maybe a school for crooks with Prawit as the principal. 

From what I have seen of Thai politicians over the years he is welcome to poach them.

Here are 2 training films for them.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1061238_school_for_scoundrels?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/school_for_scoundrels/

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

Those 2 should  be on the stage, what a great comedy act....the 2 stooges.:cheesy:

Unfortunately that is true. Unfortunate because the country is in deep danger as a result.

• Like 1