South Korea sees signs North is dismantling border loudspeakers: defence ministry

webfact

South Korea sees signs North is dismantling border loudspeakers: defence ministry

2018-05-01T051640Z_1_LYNXMPEE401N9_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-MISSILES-BORDER.JPG

A North Korean flag flutters on top of a 160-metre tower in North Korea's propaganda village of Gijungdong, in this picture taken from the Dora observatory near the demilitarised zone separating the two Koreas, in Paju, South Korea, April 24, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's Ministry of Defence said Tuesday it sees signs that North Korea has started dismantling loudspeakers that blared propaganda across the border.

The apparent move comes after South Korea said a day earlier it would do the same, starting on Tuesday. They are some of the first practical, if small, steps toward reconciliation following Friday's summit between the leaders of the two nations.

As a goodwill gesture ahead of the summit, South Korea had turned off its loudspeakers that broadcast a mixture of news, Korean pop songs and criticism of the North Korean regime.

In another small sign, North Korea said Monday it would shift its clocks forward half an hour to align with its southern neighbour.

(Reporting by Malcolm Foster. Editing by Lincoln Feast)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-01

Lets say some time the border between the two disappears, similar to the 'wall' coming down in Germany.

Anyone have thoughts on the impact of lots from the north coming into the south.

I can't see a mass exodus south to north somehow.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Lets say some time the border between the two disappears, similar to the 'wall' coming down in Germany.

Anyone have thoughts on the impact of lots from the north coming into the south.

I can't see a mass exodus south to north somehow.

Plenty of wide open land spaces may be alluring.

1 minute ago, Hogs said:

I guess you are not following closely 

The fact that both nations SIGNED DOCUMENTS declaring the END OF THE WAR between north and South 

Is that nothing to you ?

They  signed a truce 65 years ago. Did they really sign something to end the war? I have not read that, you are right.

• Like 1

Reunification is not likely, at least in the near timeframe. It would utterly bankrupt the ROK and take away national funding needed in important areas...education, healthcare and infrastructure.  Would the ROK drastically cut its defense expenditures with an outbreak of peace?  I don’t think this is reasonable to expect, given all the nefarious deeds that nK would probably continue to commit...international missile technology sales, cybercrime, counterfeiting and other worrisome operations.  But, a peaceful coexistence could ensue, bringing about significant cross-border tourism and trade and this in itself might be good enough for now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fore Man said:

Reunification is not likely, at least in the near timeframe. It would utterly bankrupt the ROK and take away national funding needed in important areas...education, healthcare and infrastructure.  Would the ROK drastically cut its defense expenditures with an outbreak of peace?  I don’t think this is reasonable to expect, given all the nefarious deeds that nK would probably continue to commit...international missile technology sales, cybercrime, counterfeiting and other worrisome operations.  But, a peaceful coexistence could ensue, bringing about significant cross-border tourism and trade and this in itself might be good enough for now. 

If any reunification were possible it would be after The North Korean Army takes over The South. Kim Jung-un will not have any sort of democracy.

From what I read of the recent meeting, the two leaders signed a very general agreement without any specific time deadlines or specific achieveables to work toward two future things -- a formal peace agreement between the two countries and de-nuclearization. Kind of like a letter of intent, with all the specific action items still off in the future at undefined points.

The North has made promises in the past to renounce its nuclear weapons program, and then reneged on those promises and/or tried to hide what they were actually doing.

Whether the latest round is just another exercise in gamesmanship or a real change of heart by the North remains to be seen. There's one theory going round that this latest venture by Kim is merely aimed at creating division and separation between the U.S. and S.K., like promising peace and then finding some excuse to back out and blaming the U.S.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From what I read of the recent meeting, the two leaders signed a very general agreement without any specific time deadlines or specific achieveables to work toward two future things -- a formal peace agreement between the two countries and de-nuclearization. Kind of like a letter of intent, with all the specific action items still off in the future at undefined points.

The North has made promises in the past to renounce its nuclear weapons program, and then reneged on those promises and/or tried to hide what they were actually doing.

Whether the latest round is just another exercise in gamesmanship or a real change of heart by the North remains to be seen. There's one theory going round that this latest venture by Kim is merely aimed at creating division and separation between the U.S. and S.K., like promising peace and then finding some excuse to back out and blaming the U.S.

I think he's struggling, he made a good show of copying his father's insanity, but can he really hold it all together? 

Its always difficult to know what it is really like in such an oppressed country, but I can't imagine it has been getting better since he took over.

Only time will tell but lets wish for the more positive outcome. If the South Koreans learnt anything from the Germans they won't allow a massive migration anyway, this will take a long, long time.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Until proven otherwise I think that's a good working assumption.

2 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

I think he's struggling, he made a good show of copying his father's insanity, but can he really hold it all together? 

Its always difficult to know what it is really like in such an oppressed country, but I can't imagine it has been getting better since he took over.

Only time will tell but lets wish for the more positive outcome. If the South Koreans learnt anything from the Germans they won't allow a massive migration anyway, this will take a long, long time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/world/asia/north-korea-economy-marketplace.html

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/21/north-korea-economy-is-growing-at-historic-rate-despite-sanctions.html

Life is in fact improving. Yes, maybe from 'Dire' to 'Crap', but improving nevertheless.