So here is the dilemma, if not Thailand then where?

webfact

1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

(I got those two quotes in reverse order and can't figure out how to cut & paste the second above the first)

I don't quite understand why, if you are a US citizen or greencard holder, you shouldn't be able to get your wife a greencard. I thought it was (current) US policy to support prioritize keeping families together (also called chain migration). I'm not familiar with the process, though my brother went through it to bring his now-ex wife to the US 25 years ago. They ask you a lot of questions to make sure you're really married and not just pretending, but if she is your wife and not just long-term GF it shouldn't be a problem.

Or, if you're not officially married, couldn't you bring her in on a tourist visa and get married in the US? I think that makes the whole greencard thing even easier.

But if you don't want to get into personal details, it's ok. I really can't help you because I am not that knowledgeable on the US process or rules.

I thought a lot about a diesel pusher myself. I even subscribed to motorhome magazine for a couple years :post-4641-1156694572:

In the end I concluded that it would be as much hassle as maintaining a house, only more so because all the systems are strange and funny (e.g. propane refrigerators), and because I'm single touring around wouldn't be any fun. But if I find a significant other to ride shotgun it will still be a very attractive dream once I turn 65 and qualify for medicare (Obamacare's too expensive in the mean time).

Blame Obama.

On 5/17/2018 at 6:23 AM, Hummin said:

Sri Lanka anyone? I have googled that country from time to time, and it have nice beaches and all that kind of stuff, but living there? And where ? 

Why not visit.  Just a short flight away.  Beaches are okay with some surfing, basically south of Colombo towards Hikaduwa, and further south past Galle.  Just don't get eaten by a croc, while relieving yourself in the bush.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/14/british-man-killed-crocodile-washing-hands-sri-lankan-lagoon/

Some the highland places, like Kandy are alright for a short visit.

Food is soso.  The curry is excellent, similar to South Indian, but once you go beyond that, choices are limited.  Good seafood is surprisingly scarce.  Nightlife is pretty lame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Why not visit.  Just a short flight away.  Beaches are okay with some surfing, basically south of Colombo towards Hikaduwa, and further south past Galle.  Just don't get eaten by a croc, while relieving yourself in the bush.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/14/british-man-killed-crocodile-washing-hands-sri-lankan-lagoon/

Some the highland places, like Kandy are alright for a short visit.

Food is soso.  The curry is excellent, similar to South Indian, but once you go beyond that, choices are limited.  Good seafood is surprisingly scarce.  Nightlife is pretty lame.

I think I would try something like this. 

Go for a organized motorbike trip and learn the country that way, and also have time to speak to others experineces about Sri Lanka during the travelling. 

https://www.vintagerides.travel/motorcycle-tour/sri-lanka/

• Like 1

On 13/05/2018 at 8:35 PM, mogandave said:

Their currency being the USD makes parking $48K a little more palatable, assuming the bank doesn’t fail...

No fiat currency has ever done anything except fail...... 

On 5/2/2018 at 12:00 PM, strikingsunset said:

Taipei, Taiwan 90 day entry stamp on arrival, lovely gentle  polite people, wide availability of elegant educated females, affordable cost of living.

I could go on.

I love Taipei. The infrastructure (highways, surface streets and MRT system) puts Bangkok to shame. The food is off the chain - especially if you're into authentic Chinese. It's sort of a less intense, less frantic and less expensive version of Hong Kong. 

However, the down sides for me are (a) no retirement visa available, and (b) earthquakes (swore those off when I left Southern California for Thailand.) As someone already mentioned, there are also typhoons to contend with.

• Like 1

I love Taipei. The infrastructure (highways, surface streets and MRT system) puts Bangkok to shame. The food is off the chain - especially if you're into authentic Chinese. It's sort of a less intense, less frantic and less expensive version of Hong Kong. 

However, the down sides for me are (a) no retirement visa available, and (b) earthquakes (swore those off when I left Southern California for Thailand.) As someone already mentioned, there are also typhoons to contend with.

Hi, yes i posted the suggestion of Taipei,I think it just never gets mentioned as an option as in the main it’s below the radar as a very low profile place.
regarding visas, for a brit anyway it’s simple 90 days stamp on arrival, no limits

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Anyone considering buying property in Panama - I recommend listening to 2 minutes of this video, where Richard Heart describes what happened when he bought a mansion in Panama -

1:50:00 to 1:52:15 approximately:

PS - Richard Heart is very interesting - anyone into BTC/Cryptos should find the entire interview interesting and entertaining as he's a lively interviewee.

4 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Hi, yes i posted the suggestion of Taipei,I think it just never gets mentioned as an option as in the main it’s below the radar as a very low profile place.
regarding visas, for a brit anyway it’s simple 90 days stamp on arrival, no limits

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So let me get this straight. You're sure immigration there would be perfectly fine with living there permanently and just flying in and out every three months? Seriously? 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So let me get this straight. You're sure immigration there would be perfectly fine with living there permanently and just flying in and out every three months? Seriously? 

Nothing's 100% guaranteed anywhere until we replace customs staff with automated tellers (which I'm all for btw).

your always going to get officials interpreting and bending regulations depending on their mood or how you look and present yourself with little recourse.

best we can do is read the regulations and hope you get a kiosk with someone who's following them that day

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yes, only stupid people get robbed and or cheated.

I wouldn't say that. But in that guys case he could have done a little more research or asked around to see if that type of setup he had was a good idea. Usually when you are putting things in strangers names and trusting them to do the right thing you are putting yourself in a very risky situation. 

Check so far so good. Only taxies have scammed me, and some few travel agancies so I guess, Im not that stupid after all. Well, my wife, my first and last wife is another story, but who could know people can lie to you so good, and so well for so long and keep the face up. Lucky I did not invest to much money, but time and energy, yes. 

Edited by Hummin

I wouldn't say that. But in that guys case he could have done a little more research or asked around to see if that type of setup he had was a good idea. Usually when you are putting things in strangers names and trusting them to do the right thing you are putting yourself in a very risky situation. 

Oh, sorry, I thought you did say that..

13 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Philippines is going to be the clear winner here. Few other places have quality healthcare and all the other items we come to Thailand for. They speak English, too.

And what about China? Claiming 90% ofSouth China sea, stepping on the neighboring countries toes, and taking control of the future resources and strategic outposts? I would seriously consider that factor for my future country of residence. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

And what about China? Claiming 90% ofSouth China sea, stepping on the neighboring countries toes, and taking control of the future resources and strategic outposts? I would seriously consider that factor for my future country of residence. 

Your life, your choice. China seldom enters my mind as a country where I would like to live.

• 1 month later...

There was some discussion here about Nicaragua as a lower cost expat option. I've been curious about Grenada specifically.

Well, maybe not so much. On the other hand, for the balls of steel opportunity seekers it might be a perfect time to pick up some distressed real estate. 

Many expats head for the exits as political violence spreads in Nicaragua

https://cuencahighlife.com/some-expats-head-for-the-exit-as-political-violence-and-crime-escalate-in-nigaragua/

On 5/8/2018 at 7:34 PM, simon43 said:

I thought Thai beaches were a disaster until I visited Ngalapi Beach last week.  A potentially nice beach utterly ruined by building on the beach side of the beach road, thus hiding the sea view and making it very difficult to actually get to the beach from the small hotels on the other side of the road.  (The big hotels on the beach side of the road are mainly owned by family of the Burmese military and most have no building permissions).

At least in Thailand the authorities generally agree that building on the beach side of the road is not a good idea if the sea view is obscured.

Seriously, if the Burmese develop the southern coast and islands in the same way as Ngalapi Beach, then kiss goodbye to paradise :(

Burma is crap. End of.

• Haha 1

I've been looking into Puerto Rico. Has some tax advantages for US citizens - read up about Act 22. But you have to buy a place to live, not rent, to get the tax advantages. It got trashed by hurricane Maria, so there's the opposite of a real estate bubble there right now because many people left.

If your income is mostly from social security, I don't think the tax advantages help, though.

I have some paper gains in stocks in taxable accounts and it looks to me like if I move to Puerto Rico and continue holding those stocks for 10 years then after 10 years I can sell them without ever paying any tax on any of the gains. If I sell sooner I pay reduced taxes to the US on the gains. Once Act 22 is qualified for, stocks I buy can be sold any time without paying any capital gains. Dividends and interest can be tax free if the account is a PR account.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the break extends to taxes on IRA/401k distributions.

Good things include it's part of the US for immigration purposes - US citizens can just fly in and work no probs. Obviously that's a big downside if you aren't a US citizen/resident. Uses US dollar so no exchange rate issues. Drives on the right.

If I were younger and trying to earn money doing work over the internet it would be fantastic (no income tax once act 22 is qualified for)

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

There was some discussion here about Nicaragua as a lower cost expat option. I've been curious about Grenada specifically.

Well, maybe not so much. On the other hand, for the balls of steel opportunity seekers it might be a perfect time to pick up some distressed real estate. 

https://cuencahighlife.com/some-expats-head-for-the-exit-as-political-violence-and-crime-escalate-in-nigaragua/

That could last a long long time..... 

Philippines is dreadful. There's a reason it's barely been mentioned here. The security falls between India and Pakistan, it's expensive, poor quality food in grocery stores, awful cuisine, no seafood, poor infrastructure, numbingly ignorant populus. Police involved with kidnapping, extortion and blackmail. You think you're an ATM here,

??! They live on Spam and Jollybee  Should I go on?

It's not Asia, it's the South Pacific. Mentality is the same. Many African countries have higher GDP and no worse corruption.

Only the worst sorts of expats live here - it's truly the end of the lune?.

Edited by ozmeldo
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2018 at 9:36 AM, ozmeldo said:

Philippines is dreadful. There's a reason it's barely been mentioned here. The security falls between India and Pakistan, it's expensive, poor quality food in grocery stores, awful cuisine, no seafood, poor infrastructure, numbingly ignorant populus. Police involved with kidnapping, extortion and blackmail. You think you're an ATM here,

??! They live on Spam and Jollybee  Should I go on?

It's not Asia, it's the South Pacific. Mentality is the same. Many African countries have higher GDP and no worse corruption.

Only the worst sorts of expats live here - it's truly the end of the lune?.

Most who run away from something inThailand ends up in Phil, and the rest go to Cambodia so you might be right! Very few who go to Phil in first place come to Thailand.  

Edited by Hummin