Hundreds gather near U.N. headquarters in Bangkok to protest against Thai military government

webfact

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Wonder how/if the protest leaders were elected :whistling:

Probably in the same manner as the present PM was elected, just put your hand up and say - - me me me, I'm the best there is ✋

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It was organised by the People's Movement for Just Society, or P-Move, a network that represents farmers, the urban poor and indigenous people who have been forced from their land.

Abhisit and the PRDC declared in their support for the these peaceful democratic people's protests against the Prayut government .... nothing. Silence ....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peperobi said:

This will be another reason to postpone the election again. The Gen. Prayut and his govern friends will be happy about it.

Quite right. As I mentioned on a related thread...snowballs in Thailand?

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Hundreds??? Why don´t we say one tousand just to be on the fair side of whats right. As a fact that means very little disappointment when it comes to 12-15 million people in Bangkok and another about 70 million in the country. Now we can clearly se why Thailand reach the top of the happy-meter contest every year. :cheesy:

People are frightened to go, because of fear of arrest possibly. It's also a demonstration by a specific pressure group so you would not expect a mass turnout.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Correct, most people don't really care. Or just don't think they can affect change. The ones I spoke too (BKK area) just don't care anymore. The ones i spoke with said the previous governments were not much different from the junta. (corruption wise) and financially there is no difference too in what they get money wise. 

Things would be different of course if you talk to farmers getting double the market price for your rice is of course interesting (just not sustainable)

Oh dear! Apathetic, beaten, down trodden..then?  

I see their point.

31 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

People are frightened to go, because of fear of arrest possibly. It's also a demonstration by a specific pressure group so you would not expect a mass turnout.

I know. How about if you tried to see my commetn as sarcasm. Does it fit better then?

24 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They probably sent out the usual PR dude to shake hands and retreat back to the air conditioning. 

and re-assure the people they are really concerned about their interests.

31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I don’t think anyone will be waking you. Most of us prefer it when you’re asleep. 

You mean like the other 60 mill :clap2:

I count 6 rows of 4 deep in the PIC.  I doubt there was even a hundred all up

Fools keep marching and showing their hand. Idiots !

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Hundreds??? Why don´t we say one tousand just to be on the fair side of whats right. As a fact that means very little disappointment when it comes to 12-15 million people in Bangkok and another about 70 million in the country. Now we can clearly se why Thailand reach the top of the happy-meter contest every year. :cheesy:

And now that in North Korea there are no demonstrations at all, with this same logic we can deduce that all the people are satisfied with the political system of the country.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

5555 it seems you know everything about nothing 

And remember you are a guest in Thailand if you not like it go home 

Thailand is becoming a better country meaby not for you 

Sadly Thailand is NOT becoming a better country and it is a good for yellowboat and for me also. Both of us have been here for many years.

We can remember back many years, many governmnts and several coups.

How about you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

As usual. Reuters put their own interpretations on this and try and turn it into something quiet different from what the protesters are actually protesting about.

And not even clever enough to see that in the way they report.

Well, they're protesting about junta intimidation and incompetence. Which is what the report is about. Amy L.  is a good reporter and a good person to boot. 

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You actually think they'd deploy some policemen if they were really worried?

Of course they are worried. They didn't buy the tanks and armoured vehicles for nothing, or issue the recent book on how to deal with protests. The junta is no different from any (word I cannot mention) in that much of what they do it motivated by fear of losing power, or rather, in the junta's case, fear of their masters losing power, and them being hung out to dry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

You mean like the other 60 mill :clap2:

I count 6 rows of 4 deep in the PIC.  I doubt there was even a hundred all up

Fools keep marching and showing their hand. Idiots !

The Arab Spring started with one person. Only one. That's all it took. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Yet they need to deploy 300 policemen. Certainly got them very worried. 

I don't think that's the reason. The large display of force is intended to demotivate anyone thinking about protesting in the future. 

• Like 2