Tourism in Buri Ram revs up for Thai Grand Prix

webfact

Tourism in Buri Ram revs up for Thai Grand Prix

By The Nation

bcd541523fad89104abe8c42c90a4cc7.jpeg

Tourism preparation is underway to ensure that the appropriate accessibility and facilities are in place for the country’s first ever Grand Prix (MotoGP) in Buri Ram in October, when the province plays host to more than 200,000 visitors from around the world.

Anan Wongbenjarat, Director General of the Department of Tourism (DOT) led a team of officials to visit local communities over the weekend to prepare for the mobile cabinet meeting in Buri Ram and Surin next week (May 7-8). The authorities also followed up on the DOT policies to support local efforts to improve tourism facilities such as wheelchair ramps, walkways, clean toilets, and information centres.

Tourism development to generate income for local communities will be one of the main topics of discussion during the mobile cabinet meeting next week.

During his visit, Mr Anan presided over the building of wheelchair ramps and walkways at the community souvenir shop of Ban Khok Mueang in Prakhon Chai District. The project adheres to the DOT’s Tourism 'For All' policy to improve accessibility for visitors across the board. He also handed over a number of bicycles to support community-based tourism in the region.

“It’s the policy of Mr Weerasak Kowsurat, Minister of Tourism and Sports, to garner support from every state agency looking after tourist attractions to help local communities improve facilities such as toilets, ramps, walkways, information centres, and other tourist infrastructures,” said Mr Anan. “He also works with communities and youth groups to keep their tourist attractions clean and garbage-free.”

As well as visiting Ban Khok Mueang, Mr Anan also visited Ban Sanuan Nok community in Huai Rat District to oversee tourist facilities, accessibility, accommodation, and services which include homestays and local guides.

He surveyed the So Krao Walking Street in Buri Ram’s Town District with aims to develop it further and support street food tourism. The DOT team also visited Chang International Circuit, the motorsport race track, where MotoGP Thailand 2018 will take place.

The DOT has supported the development of Buri Ram tourism by helping the province enhance its identity and by developing souvenir prototypes of T-shirts, cloth bags, keychains, throw pillows, note books, and hats for the Mueang Tam Sanctuary Collection.

In addition, the DOT has set up 19 QR Code signs at various tourist attractions in Buri Ram. When scanned, the QR Code will give visitors explanations about the sites, including addresses, photos, telephone numbers, infographics, and website links to the state agencies concerned.

The DOT has also certified 4 homestays in Buri Ram, namely Ban Khok Mueang Homestay in Prakhon Chai District, Mu Ban Thong Thiao Mai Sanuan Nok Homestay in Huai Rat District, Chumchon Sai Yao Homestay in Ban Nong Khruea in Town District, and Nong Ta Khem Homestay in Nang Rong District.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30344562

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-04

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

Grand Prix (MotoGP) in Buri Ram in October, when the province plays host to more than 200,000 visitors from around the world.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

There's probably only 20,000 beds in the region, mostly in Surin.

So tents are the go I guess!

I was going, but at B5000/ticket, just a little expensive for 3-4 people for me.

Have about 12 short time hotels at the Choeng Chom Market area with entertainment.:partytime2:

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I was going, but at B5000/ticket, just a little expensive for 3-4 people for me.

Advance bookings for chartered helicopters and private jets have gone through the roof. The privileged few will obviously commute between Bangkok and Buri Ram.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism preparation is underway to ensure that the appropriate accessibility and facilities are in place for the country’s first ever Grand Prix (MotoGP) in Buri Ram in October, when the province plays host to more than 200,000 visitors from around the world.

" The DOT has also certified 4 homestays in Buri Ram "

That's the accommodation sorted then.

Love to show you around one day and explain why this is probably the only place in Thailand that could host such an event. It’s well organised and well run. Lots of accommodation within driving distance. Personally, I wish them all the success in the world. 

Try booking somewhere.!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Try booking somewhere.!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, I heard it’s rather difficult. I hope most of the motorbike fans booked early. I imagine there are still smaller places with rooms available but probably with inflated rates. I’m going to find out next week if/where they’ll be setting up camping facilities to ease the burden.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Far more beds available in Buriram than Surin. 

Having said that, still not enough. I have been to a couple of very out of the way resorts to see if I could find a room or 2 for friends in KhonKaen to stay in. Booked up since last November. Nothing available within 45 kms of the race track, I was told. 

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Love to show you around one day and explain why this is probably the only place in Thailand that could host such an event. It’s well organised and well run. Lots of accommodation within driving distance. Personally, I wish them all the success in the world. 

Nice that you are positive. Hope, I´ve heard, is the last thing leaving. 

And it´s even more amusing, that you think that I´ve never been to Buri Ram. Lived in Surin for almost 8 years.

Edited by Get Real

7 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Far more beds available in Buriram than Surin. 

Having said that, still not enough. I have been to a couple of very out of the way resorts to see if I could find a room or 2 for friends in KhonKaen to stay in. Booked up since last November. Nothing available within 45 kms of the race track, I was told. 

Dont hold your breath about Buriram, its booked too.For some reason it not easy even at the odd times to get in the better hotels whenever i go :partytime2:

Its all rather interesting.One aspect is Entry Price.The Thai younger fans will be climbing the fence . !. Cant see how they can pop 10 K to get 2 in. If you can go, do so its rather nicely run.Ill be scanning You Tube, from big chair n cold Leo.:post-4641-1156694606:

download.jpg