What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

52 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Can I be rather thick and ask why anyone D/loads these days . I just klic the free sites and it plays perfectly .?.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Because I like to watch on a big screen not a laptop or desktop, and I don't have a streaming device. I download to Utorrent as many movies as I want then transfer to a flash drive. Not like I have to sit and watch while they download.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

A 32 inch monitor is big enough for our bedroom,in fact 27 was.Wifes idea again!!!.:passifier:

I used to have a 32 inch in the bedroom, it wasn't big enough, now it's a 42 inch. I'll expect all the silly bedroom jokes now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Read all about it.
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/2016/05/25/1464171036/
Downloading and streaming pirated videos is illegal in Thailand.
Loose lips sink ships.

Yet my local (Pattaya) cable network was showing pirated movies downloaded from the same source as I use.

Edited by giddyup

Can somebody please tell me what the Man in the High Castle was all about?

Large part of my job is working from home & tend to have these kind of TV shows on in the background but normally good at keeping up with the main plot & this one lost me, seemed pretty pointless [Deleted this part as it would be a spoiler & give the "plot" (sic) away]

So will ask instead if Series2 is worth bothering with?

In a similar vain I went through the whole of Colony Series 1 (whilst working) the other day, quite enjoyed it so watch 1st couple of episodes of S2 & looks good [emoji1303]

2 hours ago, JB300 said:

I have only seen the first episode, but I read the book by Phillip K. Dick that it was based on. It is fiction about what life in the USA might be like if the Axis powers had won WW2.

12 hours ago, JB300 said:

Large part of my job is working from home & tend to have these kind of TV shows on in the background but normally good at keeping up with the main plot & this one lost me, seemed pretty pointless [Deleted this part as it would be a spoiler & give the "plot" (sic) away]

In a similar vain I went through the whole of Colony Series 1 (whilst working) the other day, quite enjoyed it so watch 1st couple of episodes of S2 & looks good emoji1303.png

The Man in the High Castle

Good question, JB...

I've watched all of the episodes twice, and still don't know what it's about. I enjoyed the style of it,  the originality. What if the Axis powers had won the war? It's a question well worth pondering, and for a time in 1942-43 the odds were in favor of just such an outcome. We owe the Soviet Union an eternal debt of gratitude for destroying the German wehrmacht, at a cost of over twenty million lives.

The favored geographic position on the USA allowed "us" to keep cranking out weapons, ensuring that "we" would be clearly the Top Dog at the conclusion of hostilities. It also helped a great deal to have cracked the Japanese codes, and to lure Japan into a disastrous trap at the Battle of Midway.

Clearly, this show is in the category of fantasy/speculation, which I don't usually enjoy, but I was hooked, and look forward to future episodes.

TEN, if you like such things.

• Like 1

Spring Tide is good but theres something wrong with the episodes I'm streaming….after episode 2 the episodes have a different audio…<deleted>?!

Im going to the giddy up 1.0 torrent method for this one.

Also second season of Bedrag (Follow the Money)  is out…1st 2 episodes on Exodus have hardcoded english subs….3rd one doesn't. 

Paterson (SPOILERS)

I have always enjoyed the films of Jim Jarmusch, which seem to come along every eight years or so. They are original and unpredictable. Only an occasional dog ("Dead Man"), but then, a true masterpiece, such as "Ghost Dog", starring the always great Forrest Whitaker as a modern day samurai/pigeon fancier (??!!)

I wonder how hard it must have been for Jarmusch to obtain funding for this film, in which there is no violence, tender love instead of raw sex, a story about a simple anonymous ex-Marine named Paterson, the same as the downtrodden city where he drives a bus, writes gentle poetry, has a quiet beer a day, and loves his wife.

IMDB classes this film as a "comedy," but I can't see why. It's just a week in the life of this gentle soul. One gets the feeling that this is how life will be for this character forevermore.

There's one scene that for me made the whole picture worthwhile, and that is the quiet encounter between Paterson and a Japanese tourist/poet, who has come to "PassinNa'juzzy" to honor his favorite poet, hometown physician William Carlos Williams. The film is sprinkled with references to other famous people from the beaten little city: Lou Costello, ReubenHurricane Carter, and Sam, of soul duet Sam and Dave <"Soul Man">)

It's a sweet little film, and I liked it a lot. It will lose money, but will further secure Jarmusch's position as a great American film maker.

TEN. Loved the dog and the beautiful persian wife, too.

13 hours ago, JB300 said:

In a similar vain I went through the whole of Colony Series 1 (whilst working) the other day, quite enjoyed it so watch 1st couple of episodes of S2 & looks good emoji1303.png

Tried watching it , but to be honest just thought it was rubbish ,so gave up .

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but at least 50% of the movies I choose I get a message saying "There is no server for this movie now, try again later". The FMovies site I'm talking about.

Yes, I have had some difficulties in the last day or so too. Then last night fmovies posted a notice apologising that they have had some server maintenance problems and a all will be fixed asap. patience is a virtue in this case.

7 minutes ago, Frank James said:

Paterson (SPOILERS)

I have always enjoyed the films of Jim Jarmusch, which seem to come along every eight years or so. They are original and unpredictable. Only an occasional dog ("Dead Man"), but then, a true masterpiece, such as "Ghost Dog", starring the always great Forrest Whitaker as a modern day samurai/pigeon fancier (??!!)

I wonder how hard it must have been for Jarmusch to obtain funding for this film, in which there is no violence, tender love instead of raw sex, a story about a simple anonymous ex-Marine named Paterson, the same as the downtrodden city where he drives a bus, writes gentle poetry, has a quiet beer a day, and loves his wife.

IMDB classes this film as a "comedy," but I can't see why. It's just a week in the life of this gentle soul. One gets the feeling that this is how life will be for this character forevermore.

There's one scene that for me made the whole picture worthwhile, and that is the quiet encounter between Paterson and a Japanese tourist/poet, who has come to "PassinNa'juzzy" to honor his favorite poet, hometown physician William Carlos Williams. The film is sprinkled with references to other famous people from the beaten little city: Lou Costello, ReubenHurricane Carter, and Sam, of soul duet Sam and Dave <"Soul Man">)

It's a sweet little film, and I liked it a lot. It will lose money, but will further secure Jarmusch's position as a great American film maker.

TEN. Loved the dog and the beautiful persian wife, too.

Liked both "Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog' but couldn't get into Paterson, got bored and switched it off.

Don't really want to spend 90 mins watching boring people doing boring things, but then again we all have differing tastes.

But just some on topic must see shows are Peaky Blinders, a post WW1 Birmingham street gangs story that is just too good to take your eyes off. A new series Taboo starring Tom Hardy which is so graphic that nobody of a weak disposition should watch. No subject is forbidden in this show so be aware b4 you watch.
Shooter, a series of Mark Wahlberg's movie and produced by him is so addictive.

• Like 2

Took my partner to watch the new Resident Evil last night. She really enjoyed as she like action films with a woman in the lead role. I enjoyed it too, it was a good action film where you don't have to do any thinking, sit back, relax and go with the flow

Sent from my iPhone whilst having a cold beer

On 2/1/2017 at 7:44 PM, xylophone said:

Liked both "Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog' but couldn't get into Paterson, got bored and switched it off.

Don't really want to spend 90 mins watching boring people doing boring things, but then again we all have differing tastes.

For me the film where Jarmusch got it all together is "Mystery Train". Very enjoyable (especially the 1st episode with the Japanese couple at the Elvis museum).

(Haven't seen "Ghost Dog").

I watched about 15-20 minutes of "Paterson".

For me this was the worst of his films - I didn't like the acting/direction/the guy's poetry/dialogue/the dog.

It all seemed totally artificial and was one of those films where one feels the film crew just out of frame. Not one original or lifelike moment.

Of course I didn't give it much of a chance, but after not liking anything about it I gave up hope.

Jarmusch often seems terminally hip, but in this case just seemed out of it.

I do like a lot something Jarmusch said in an interview once, which I've thought about many times,  and I'll paraphrase accurately - "In a Hollywood film, Joe says to Bob "Let's go over to Bill's place".

Cut. And they're at Bill's house.

I want to know what happened in between - what did they talk about, did they drive or take a bus, what they saw on the way."

That's one reason I like films in the style of Romanian New Wave/Dogme95 (Scandinavian/Euro filmmakers) - the films are very naturalistic. There's a great deal of "what happened in between". A lot more like life.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

For me the film where Jarmusch got it all together is "Mystery Train". Very enjoyable (especially the 1st episode with the Japanese couple at the Elvis museum).

(Haven't seen "Ghost Dog").

I watched about 15-20 minutes of "Paterson".

For me this was the worst of his films - I didn't like the acting/direction/the guy's poetry/dialogue/the dog.

It all seemed totally artificial and was one of those films where one feels the film crew just out of frame. Not one original or lifelike moment.

Of course I didn't give it much of a chance, but after not liking anything about it I gave up hope.

Jarmusch often seems terminally hip, but in this case just seemed out of it.

I do like a lot something Jarmusch said in an interview once, which I've thought about many times,  and I'll paraphrase accurately - "In a Hollywood film, Joe says to Bob "Let's go over to Bill's place".

Cut. And they're at Bill's house.

I want to know what happened in between - what did they talk about, did they drive or take a bus, what they saw on the way."

That's one reason I like films in the style of Romanian New Wave/Dogme95 (Scandinavian/Euro filmmakers) - the films are very naturalistic. There's a great deal of "what happened in between". A lot more like life.

Jarmusch made up an international (comedic, satiric) organization called "Sons of Lee Marvin", in which guys all over the world who feel drawn to the onscreen persona of the late/great L.M. can claim to be his spiritual (or even actual, physical!) offspring. As Jim J. described it in a conversation with some TV interviewer, I instantly knew what he was talking about. Sure, you can go on and on  about how all time "cool" was Steve McQueen, but who would you rather have on your side in a firefight? Steve might be checking to see if his cigarette was hanging properly while you are getting pounded. But old Lee would be right there with you, making those bad guuys wish they'd never got up that day.

It helps, if like Jarmusch and myself, you bear a physical resemblance to the old Marine (WW2 combat veteran), but if you feel like "one of us," you can always say you look like your mom, one of the thousands of Lee's romantic encounters. To brush up on essential "Lee-ness", check out "Hell in the Pacific", "The Dirty Dozen", or "The Big Red One."

R.I.P., Father Lee!

2 hours ago, Frank James said:

Jarmusch made up an international (comedic, satiric) organization called "Sons of Lee Marvin", in which guys all over the world who feel drawn to the onscreen persona of the late/great L.M. can claim to be his spiritual (or even actual, physical!) offspring. As Jim J. described it in a conversation with some TV interviewer, I instantly knew what he was talking about. Sure, you can go on and on  about how all time "cool" was Steve McQueen, but who would you rather have on your side in a firefight? Steve might be checking to see if his cigarette was hanging properly while you are getting pounded. But old Lee would be right there with you, making those bad guuys wish they'd never got up that day.

It helps, if like Jarmusch and myself, you bear a physical resemblance to the old Marine (WW2 combat veteran), but if you feel like "one of us," you can always say you look like your mom, one of the thousands of Lee's romantic encounters. To brush up on essential "Lee-ness", check out "Hell in the Pacific", "The Dirty Dozen", or "The Big Red One."

R.I.P., Father Lee!

You mention director John Boorman's 2nd film starring Lee Marvin, but not the 1st, which is one of the greatest films ever, with the ultimate Lee Marvin performance, "Point Blank".

I'm pretty sure "Point Blank" was the dominant film that united the Sons of Lee Marvin.

"Essential 'Lee-ness' " definitely includes "The Killers".

Since we're on Jarmusch trivia now - he was the hot dog stand vendor in "Sling Blade".

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Even when Lee Marvin was a minor character in his earliest outings, usually playing a thug, he stole the scene from whoever was playing opposite: see "The Wild Ones,"  "The Big Heat,"  and "Bad Day at Black Rock." And yes, those films you mentioned are all-time Lee Classics. He was also great as a Chicago PD detective in the  60's TV series "M Squad."

Lee Marvin was A Man and a Half, for sure!

• Like 1