What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems like another Kennedy assassination Doc.

Gripping how?  All info. been repeated a thousand times before.......

Huh?!!!  If you can't see what an outstanding piece of documentary making this is then i guess you never will.  

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems like another Kennedy assassination Doc.

Gripping how?  All info. been repeated a thousand times before.......

I thought I'd seen as much as there is to be seen on the Vietnam war.

But this doco takes it to a new level IMO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Will27 said:

ok ok.

Nothing at all gainst those who served just seems like there are so many of these repeated stories  Guess I watch too much TV

I am sure it is good.

thanks

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

Just finished The War In Vietnam a 10 part documentary, 10 years in the making. If this doesn't convince you of the folly of war and the incompetent and egocentric leaders who got the US into it, nothing will. Gripping stuff.

I have to agree with you about that. First time I've actually watched a documentary on past wars.  It was the interviews with the returned vets [both sides] that captivated me. The realization that who is the good guy and who is the bad guy depends totally on a personal perspective and not on actual fact. Probably, the unfortunate part of it all is that we never learn from history but seemed doomed to repeat our mistakes.

PS. The PM's favourite police show "Blue Bloods" is back.

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

Just finished The War In Vietnam a 10 part documentary, 10 years in the making. If this doesn't convince you of the folly of war and the incompetent and egocentric leaders who got the US into it, nothing will. Gripping stuff.

I'm pretty sure you are referring to The Vietnam War, another fine documentary by Ken Burns.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877514/

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Absolute best documentary for years. The way I see it America was sucked into the conflict against their will. Lyndon Johnson was very hesitant of increasing the war effort, but once they were committed there was no easy political acceptable exit strategy. The all out bombing had worked well in WWII, but was not really effective in mountainous jungle.

Since the documentary cover a lot of the protests in the US, they should have included small section of the cold war also, like the massive US/Russian nuclear arms race. 

Fascinating to think that amidst all this war and chaos, America sent a man to the moon.

I wold love to see and equal detailed documentary about the Russian war in Afghanistan, but I guess that will never happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

Burns has updated the Vietnam War documentary. Most of the large scale docs were made in the 1980s.  Not only did Burns get access that those documentary makers couldn't get, but his interviews and subjects also have been given the perspective of time to think and explain about their actions and memories. Yes, this is a good documentary.  The war was a long time ago.  Something those of us who lived through it don't always recognize. Most of the veterans of it are in their 70s and 80s now. As was the case with the World War II generation about 20 years ago, our direct connection with the war is something that will evaporate over the next 10 to 15 years.

Edited by zydeco

12 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Absolute best documentary for years. The way I see it America was sucked into the conflict against their will.

It was a choice the US made, not sure how they were sucked into it. It was an irrational fear that communism was going to take over SE Asia.

On 9/20/2017 at 6:01 PM, HidyHo said:

I am enjoying this series ... just finished two-part The Silkworm episodes.  Robin (played by Holliday Grainger) is very attractive gal!!!

Holiday Grainger is in the first episode (The Hood Maker) of Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams, looking a little different...

She has been around a while now but I can see her becoming an even bigger star very soon.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:08 AM, newatthis said:

I found season 2 ["Silkworm"] on PB and it's also on my private tracker. There are only 2 episodes to the season.

Going by IMDB, Silkworm (two parts) belongs to Season One.

Season Two is next year.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Just because you didn't meet them, doesn't mean they weren't involved.  They were.  Perhaps not in the trenches, but definitely provided support.

Not sure the US can claim any kind of credit. They poured a lot more than $700 million into the war in Vietnam, plus troops, plus armaments and we know the outcome there. I guess this isn't the right forum to discuss it though.

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I don't think there is another show I have watched so many times.

Just love the first 8 seasons.  Leon, his agents wife, old Richard Lewis, many others.

Hope it is good!!

It's pretty much just more of the same.

1 hour ago, kkerry said:

Season Two is next year.

It goes by the name of Strike.

The first part called The Cuckoo's Calling has 3 episodes followed by The Silkworm which has 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I don't think there is another show I have watched so many times.

Just love the first 8 seasons.  Leon, his agents wife, old Richard Lewis, many others.

Hope it is good!!

PS: When he ended season 8 and as his Seinfeld checks kept rolling in, he was going to quit as he was then worth 450 million.  Read recently it is now up to almost 1 billion...

Good for him genius.

I thought episode 1 was a cracker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kkerry said:

Season Two is next year.

There were two separate "tracks" on the net on this.  Silkworm episodes can be found as S02e01/02 or S01e04/05.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

You are correct.

I watched the first 3 but now PBS is asking me for a passport to watch the rest?  Where do you stream them from?  It says PBS is streaming them for free but I can't find where.

2 minutes ago, amvet said:

I watched the first 3 but now PBS is asking me for a passport to watch the rest?  Where do you stream them from?  It says PBS is streaming them for free but I can't find where.

I downloaded all episodes from PB, also available on 1337X.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:40 PM, giddyup said:

Great documentary. Information like this has been discussed ad nauseam for years.

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

thanks

PB is PBS?  I found 1337X thanks

No, PB is P Bay, a Google search will give it to you, might be against forum rules to post here.

Edited by giddyup

I downloaded a bit torrent client and my whole computer went wacky.  It planted some browser that took over my home screen and redirected everything and killed my computer.  I had to spend 4 hours reloading a backup and erasing everything on my computer to get rid of it and it's still acting a bit funny.  I'd never messed with torrents before. 

1 minute ago, amvet said:

I downloaded a bit torrent client and my whole computer went wacky.  It planted some browser that took over my home screen and redirected everything and killed my computer.  I had to spend 4 hours reloading a backup and erasing everything on my computer to get rid of it and it's still acting a bit funny.  I'd never messed with torrents before. 

I use qBittorrent with no problems.

14 minutes ago, amvet said:

You have to be really careful when installing software now.  Only go to the developers website.  And watch out for check boxes that allow other software to be installed.  They are super sneaky with that and I've gotten caught several times.

I downloaded the Ken Burn's series in Blue Ray surround sound.  7-8GB per episode.  It's stunning.

8 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You have to be really careful when installing software now.  Only go to the developers website.  And watch out for check boxes that allow other software to be installed.  They are super sneaky with that and I've gotten caught several times.

I downloaded the Ken Burn's series in Blue Ray surround sound.  7-8GB per episode.  It's stunning.

The first two I watched on PBS in 1080 and they were great.  There were no check boxes on vivo I think it was.  I clicked download and it went crazy and took over.  Even though I thought I had everything in place to prevent that happening.  I have everything in Win 10 checked that is supposed to ask me before anything is downloaded but it didn't work. 

Edited by amvet
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, amvet said:

The first two I watched on PBS in 1080 and they were great.  There were no check boxes on vivo I think it was.  I clicked download and it went crazy and took over.  Even though I thought I had everything in place to prevent that happening.  I have everything in Win 10 checked that is supposed to ask me before anything is downloaded but it didn't work. 

They are sneaky!!!!!