Ambulance driver begs for forgiveness after death of rescue medic "Nong Mot"

snoop1130

Ambulance driver begs for forgiveness after death of rescue medic "Nong Mot"

news09.jpg

Sanook reported from the funeral of 22 year old Marisa or "Nong Mot" who was killed on Monday.

The trainee rescue medic and member of the Huk 31 team was on her way with other staff to the scene of a Bangkok to Sisaket tour bus accident when the rescue ambulance crashed in the rain. 

Yesterday at the temple of Wat Mai Intharam in Nakorn Ratchasima ambulance driver Wirot, 55, paid respects to the feet of Nong Mot's mother and grandmother begging for forgiveness accepting full responsibility.

Forgiveness was granted with the mother saying that it was an accident.

Wirot then lit incense and paid his last respects at the coffin of his your former colleague. 

He said he will enter the monkhood for an unspecified time, a common action in Thai culture when there is a bereavement.

No blame is believed to have been attached to Wirot who was speeding to the scene of the bus accident. 

Elder brother of Nong Mot, Marut said that the victim's German step-father was initially furious over the accident but has now calmed down after several days have passed.

Source: https://www.sanook.com/news/6301918/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-4

"ambulance driver Wirot, 55, paid respects to the feet of Nong Mot's mother and grandmother begging for forgiveness accepting full responsibility"

"Forgiveness was granted with the mother saying that it was an accident."

No blame is believed to have been attached to Wirot

"Metta" wins.

"Merit" all round, result: Nirvana here we come!

Get used to it, go home or........stay drunk (the old "Colonial Way")

Mettā - Wikipedia

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The law and the media should seriously look at the maintenance records and the general condition of the ambulane....if there are flaws..... mercilessly bust whoever is accountable....the ambulance driver in this case cannot be blamed.

RIP to the young victim and her families.

Should also look at the speed the rescue vehicle was travelling. Plenty of times I've seen these rescue vehicles being driven at crazy speeds and with no attention whatever to safety. Crazy seems to be seems to be a requiremeent to drive these gangs to accidents.

RIP to the young lady trying to contribute and condolences to her family.

Edited by scorecard

Further to that, it IS a Thai trait to do what he has done and the only person putting any negative connotations on the word trait in this instance is yourself. Unless of course you believe Thai traits to be inherently no good, which in itself would be fantastically ironic. 

Edited by starky

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said he will enter the monkhood for an unspecified time, a common action in Thai culture when there is a bereavement.

Actually one time I read about this, and it´s a good thing according to the old Thai traditions. Good on him to belive in the right way.

Another coffin on wheels involved in an accident costing the life of a young person. When is this country going to ban these type of vehicles and get a more stabilized mode of transport for emergency vehicles. It will probably cost a lot more baht but what price do you put on a  life

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BEVUP said:

So the Farang had no say in it, even though he took them all on in marrying the family. 

So why was it mentioned that he was only wai-ing Thais & not the Farang Step Father

the photo has him there, which in itself says enough (for me anyhows) 

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, but we have a report that an ambulance crashed in the rain.

The reason people might see it as a trait is because of the constant lack of training and responsibility of drivers on the roads here. whether they are driving ordinary vehicles or emergency vehicles.

While I cannot state state anything with 100% certainty, I am sure that it is the lack of awareness of road conditions that cause these 'accidents'.

Watching UK police documentaries, I notice that the word 'accident' in no longer used, because it implies something that was unavoidable, now the word used is 'collision'.

Australia  too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It was just a sad but true accident but people in here just want complaining all the time and blame people 

RIP young lady 

I concur- a lot of comments here from sad and bitter people.

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, but we have a report that an ambulance crashed in the rain.

The reason people might see it as a trait is because of the constant lack of training and responsibility of drivers on the roads here. whether they are driving ordinary vehicles or emergency vehicles.

While I cannot state state anything with 100% certainty, I am sure that it is the lack of awareness of road conditions that cause these 'accidents'.

Watching UK police documentaries, I notice that the word 'accident' in no longer used, because it implies something that was unavoidable, now the word used is 'collision'.

Accidents went out in the UK and were replaced with collisions before I retired in 2002. Every one I attended was someone’s fault, mechanical defects were less than 5%, but could still be put down to faulty maintenance. Usually it was bad driving, but nothing as bad as I see here daily where lack of training, enforcement and culture of thinking about responsibility and trying to protect others is almost entirely absent. Just completely selfish me,me,me. I completely agree with bluesofa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

No blame is believed to have been attached to Wirot who was speeding

Says it all, really. Speeding is fine because everyone does it (except those who (a) drive at 30kph because they are drunk (b) - can't drive (c) both. Can't blame someone when it's the norm.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

Very tragic!!

RIP

I hope someone wakes up and starts checking the state these "Ambulances" are in. I saw quite often old Pick-Ups / Vans with indication of no maintenance.

Couple this with crazy reckkess driving to be "first " at the accident - a recipe for disaster.

I am not even sure if there are trained medics in all of these makeshift ambulances. What I saw twice at an accident scene was shocking. No first aid equipment and certainly no training!

4 hours ago, a977 said:

Another coffin on wheels involved in an accident costing the life of a young person. When is this country going to ban these type of vehicles and get a more stabilized mode of transport for emergency vehicles. It will probably cost a lot more baht but what price do you put on a  life

it could be that nothing was wrong with the ambulance but AGAIN lack of driving skills by the driver as it is with most accidents here !!

• Like 2

I offer that the driver does feel genuine remorse and guilt. He has to live with the fact that he was responsible for driving the vehicle which sustailed a fatal collision. His actions resulted in the death of someone young enough to be his daughter, someone with whom he worked,  ate with, shared a joke and discussed family things. I think it's a sure bet that he will haunted by a ghost for the rest of his life.

The mother did the right thing as she will  be able to start healing by letting go of her anger.  I too would liek to blame the driver, but  let's  be fair. This man operated the vehicle with little driving training nor oversight. That vehicle probably didn;t have the best brakes or tires and most likely was never designed to be an ambulance. In addition he was driving on poorly maintained roads and surrounded by Thai quality drivers. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I offer that the driver does feel genuine remorse and guilt. He has to live with the fact that he was responsible for driving the vehicle which sustailed a fatal collision. His actions resulted in the death of someone young enough to be his daughter, someone with whom he worked,  ate with, shared a joke and discussed family things. I think it's a sure bet that he will haunted by a ghost for the rest of his life.

The mother did the right thing as she will  be able to start healing by letting go of her anger.  I too would liek to blame the driver, but  let's  be fair. This man operated the vehicle with little driving training nor oversight. That vehicle probably didn;t have the best brakes or tires and most likely was never designed to be an ambulance. In addition he was driving on poorly maintained roads and surrounded by Thai quality drivers. 

You should have stopped at your first paragraph. Your second is pure speculation at best.

was she wearing a seat belt? i think ambulances have seat belts in the patient compartment also.

ambulance anywhere in the world have a higher accident rate because they often need to drive aggressively and fast

3 hours ago, Black arab said:

When driving fire engines in the uk the policy was drive to arrive, also to slow down on approach to the scene for safety and assessment.

Yep, better to be late than dead on time.