1 year retirement visa

Hello,

I live in Florida and getting ready to move to Thailand I already received my 1 year retirement visa, I'm married to a Thai Lady.

I have looked and can't find a solid answer for this. Can I just purchase a one way flight to Thailand or do I still need to purchase a round trip flight even with a 1 year retirement visa?

You only need a one way ticket since you have the retirement visa....you've been granted long term (one year) stay in Thailand.

I did the same thing almost ten years ago....got my retirement visa...bought one-way ticket.   Now at the airline check-in in the U.S. for a moment the airline check-in clerk said I needed a onward flight out of Thailand until I pointed out the retirement visa in my passport....then the clerk said sorry, you are fine.

• Thanks 1

I have done it many times. A couple of times the check in staff at the airport told me if I was refused entry into Thailand I would be responsible for the trip back. No worries. 

All sounds fine and dandy but stupidly enough just last year in Los Angeles, ANA requested I have a return flight.

I also Have a retirement Visa but they insisted since I am an American citizen and have a US address.

With this I know that United Air has a 24 hour cancellation policy so I booked a return flight in the future on my phone, showed the ANA agent, got my BKK ticket.  While waiting for my BKK flight, I went back to the United Air site and canceled the bogus return flight.

I think it may depend on the airline policy.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

All sounds fine and dandy but stupidly enough just last year in Los Angeles, ANA requested I have a return flight.

I also Have a retirement Visa but they insisted since I am an American citizen and have a US address.

With this I know that United Air has a 24 hour cancellation policy so I booked a return flight in the future on my phone, showed the ANA agent, got my BKK ticket.  While waiting for my BKK flight, I went back to the United Air site and canceled the bogus return flight.

That's what I heard about, that's why I'm asking.

(With this I know that United Air has a 24 hour cancellation policy so I booked a return flight in the future on my phone, showed the ANA agent, got my BKK ticket.  While waiting for my BKK flight, I went back to the United Air site and canceled the bogus return flight.)

I like this Idea!!!

Thanks

4 minutes ago, notamember said:

Thank you, i have always been curious why Americans refer to this as a retirement visa on here, when other nationals mostly refer to it as an O-A visa

It is certainly not only Americans that do it. I have read my many posts by people from other countries doing the same thing.

I read posts where people were calling a non-o visa a retirement visa. Same for extensions of stay.

• Like 2

I agree. This has nothing to do with Americans specifically.

The things often called a retirement visa here (and outside as well) include --

90 day Non O visa obtained in or outside Thailand as a first step towards getting an annual retirement extension

Annual retirement extensions

O-A visas obtained in home countries

Again, nothing to do with Americans specifically. 

Also sometimes people refer to retirement extensions as O-A visas which is really another level.

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If you had such a visa there is no requirement for onward travel - I used to have that issue using re-entry permits as they did not understand what they were but once taken to a higher level was allowed boarding without the need to buy another ticket.  Do question them when told this as they are wrong and there supervisor should know.  Even they will find this if they actually check the IATA database.  Believe they often just automatically use the visa exempt entry requirements for those allowed such entry - without checking if they actually have a visa.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NickJ said:

I have done it many times. A couple of times the check in staff at the airport told me if I was refused entry into Thailand I would be responsible for the trip back. No worries. 

And was that with visa or planned visa exempt entry?

I have been challenged boarding with a reentry permit on an existing retirement extension. I just calmly responded with a short explanation of the Thai retirement system stamps and before the agent's eye could start glazing over, she dropped the challenge. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, notamember said:

simple question:

is this actually a ''retirement visa'' ?

No, the ‘O-A’ visa is a “long stay” visa available to anyone over 50 whether or not they are retired. However, just to confuse people, it is sometimes marketed by embassies as a ‘retirement visa’.

It is used by many people to enter the country ahead of a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

5 hours ago, notamember said:

does it actually say or rubber stamped on it as a  'retirement visa'' on the visa?

Not as a general practice, but it could happen.

17 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No, the ‘O-A’ visa is a “long stay” visa available to anyone over 50 whether or not they are retired. However, just to confuse people, it is sometimes marketed by embassies as a ‘retirement visa’.

It is used by many people to enter the country ahead of a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

Just got my renewed RV and it is stamped in my PP w/dates.

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

For notamember, sorry if I jumped on you before.

It is just that if you asked 100 ex-pats who have a related Visa, 99% would say Retirement Visa.

Yes, it is an O-A visa/long stay but everyone I know of, even immigration, refers to it as a Retirement Visa.

If you asked 100 ex-pats what an O-A visa is, I bet many would have no idea.

Anyway, this is mine and in fact it does say Retirement.   Yes I know what it is........

So what, I refer to it as a retirement visa for common sense communication and understanding.

20180505_135419.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jimmygringo said:

Can a retirement visa be issued by the immigration office in a province that you are not a resident of?

If you mean an extension of stay based on retirement the answer is no. You must apply at the office in the catchment area of the address on the application form.

If flying into Thailand on an OA Visa with a one-way ticket ...

What should I write as the purpose for my visit on the arrivals card? Retirement?

What should I write as the return date and/or next city for our visit on the arrivals card?

Do you just leave the departure card blank?

Are there likely to be any issues being processed through immigration on arrival in Thailand without a return flight or departure card?

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Based on the context of the OP I assume he is in possession of an O-A visa obtained in the U.S.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I receive the 1 year retirement Visa in Thailand (With multiple entries) when I was there 1 month ago. Had to come back to the states to take care of some loose ends, will be going back next month. So this is why I am asking this question.

7 minutes ago, Bob33065 said:

I receive the 1 year retirement Visa in Thailand (With multiple entries) when I was there 1 month ago. Had to come back to the states to take care of some loose ends, will be going back next month. So this is why I am asking this question.

That's different than an O-A but you should still be OK. You will be returning based on a REENTRY PERMIT. You should be boarded based on that because that permit is based on a current retirement extension which is based on your original visa.

You do not have a retirement visa.

I am now assuming you did this in Thailand.

Applied for a 90 day O visa as part of the two step process, with the second step being an annual extension. Paid for multiple reentry permits separately. At no point did you get a retirement visa. Your current stay in Thailand based on my assumption is based on the annual extension based on retirement which you kept alive via reentry permit.

Maybe too nerdy for you but if you're challenged on boarding, show them the current annual retirement extension with the expiration date showing you're still legal to stay in Thailand. They likely won't know about reentry permits but that stamp is clear. 

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's different than an O-A but you should still be OK. You will be returning based on a REENTRY PERMIT. You should be boarded based on that because that permit is based on a current retirement extension which is based on your original visa.

You do not have a retirement visa.

I am now assuming you did this in Thailand.

Applied for a 90 day O visa as part of the two step process, with the second step being an annual extension. Paid for multiple reentry permits separately. At no point did you get a retirement visa. Your current stay in Thailand based on my assumption is based on the annual extension based on retirement which you kept alive via reentry permit,

I received the 90 day in USA, Received Retirement Visa in Thailand 

Retirement Visa JPG.jpeg

Edited by Bob33065
PDF to JPG

5 minutes ago, Bob33065 said:

I received the 90 day in USA, Received Retirement Visa in Thailand 

Retirement Visa.pdf

Makes no difference either way at this point. I just assumed you got the original 90 day visa in Thailand because you (incorrectly) said you got a retirement visa in Thailand. We can't read minds here but we do try. 

Your original visa isn't relevant anymore for boarding purposes. Your legal right to stay in Thailand is based on your current RETIREMENT EXTENSION which you wisely saved via reentry permit. 

Think about this a bit. If you stay in Thailand for five years on continuous retirement extensions do you think U.S. boarding agents are going to be convinced by a five year old used visa? No, it's ALWAYS about what currently makes your stay legal. 

Again, you never got a retirement visa and you never need one. Your extensions are NOT retirement visas. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Makes no difference either way at this point. I just assumed you got the original 90 day visa in Thailand because you (incorrectly) said you got a retirement visa in Thailand. We can't read minds here but we do try. 

Your original visa isn't relevant anymore for boarding purposes. Your legal right to stay in Thailand is based on your current RETIREMENT EXTENSION which you wisely saved via reentry permit. 

Think about this a bit. If you stay in Thailand for five years on continuous retirement extensions do you think U.S. boarding agents are going to be convinced by a five year old used visa? No, it's ALWAYS about what currently makes your stay legal. 

Again, you never got a retirement visa and you never need one. Your extensions are NOT retirement visas. 

Ok, Thank You