The mystery of the 'Registered Foreigners with residence in Thailand' who can use the Thai Passport Holders line at the airport

Last month, I applied to use the automatic barriers (I have PR).You can register to use the automatic barriers at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang by completing an application form and supplying the following signed documents:

1. Copy of Passport (photograph page and current visa page)

2. Copy of Residence Book (pages 1-5 and current endorsement page)

3. Copy of Alien Book (relevant pages)

4. Copy of Tabien Baan

5. Copy (signed) of Reference’s ID card

On the application form, they require a “Reference in Kingdom”. I just used my wife’s details and brought along a signed copy of her Thai ID. You can only register at Suvarnabhumi when you are departing on an international flight. After passing through passport control, go to the main immigration desk with the application form and supporting documents. The immigration officer will process your application, put a small sticker in your passport saying you can use the automatic barriers, take your photo and fingerprints so the barrier can recognize you, and that’s it. The whole process took about 25 mins. Permission is granted for two years. This could be very useful given the huge queues that sometimes plague Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang.

Edited by thaiowl

23 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

To clarify; There are two priority lines.

1. The  TG pax in business and first class are sent to the regular entry lines where there is a dedicated line for them. The line goes to dedicated IOs who process them. I was confused last month when I flew in last month and went to the regular premium channel and was instead turned back and told to go to the TG dedicated line. (Wasted 15 minutes of walking back and forth because there is no announcement on the TG flight to tell you where to go and there are no specific signs in the terminal informing pax of this either.)

2. The  Priority section between the two processing area remains, but this is for diplomats, VIPs and all other airline premium classes.

Good clarification there gk, thanks.

This new TG-only premium-class fast track lane in BOTH the general immigration halls, east and west? *

The central, smaller fast-track immigration 'alley' (between the two general immigration halls) is now reserved for diplomats, VIP and premium-class flyers from all other airlines.

Has anyone checked if the fast-track lanes with dedicated IO's for invalided passengers (wheelchairs) and families with small kids is still open in the general immigration halls? It was poorly signposted with small TG signage, off to the extreme left as one came up the ramp and accessible by foreigners with long-stay visas, ie. marriage and retirement extension holders can use it.

Maybe the new TG premium-class lane that gk has reported is the same lane as above with just newer criteria as to who can use it? Whenever I came through (on retirement extension) it was never very busy and pretty much 12-15 minutes from gate to carousel.

* I recall asking an Immigration guy who was herding Chinese cats on the east immigration hall ramp where this 'fast track' line was and he said it doesn't exist and I have to get in the scrum. So I walked over to the west immigration hall and used the left-side fast-track as described above.

The following thread is useful:

E-Channel for Permanent Residents

The separate fast track for Thai Airways is opposite gate D4 in Arrivals Hall East and is for First Class, Royal Silk Class and Platinum Card Holders. I am not sure how long it has been open but I guess more that 2 years as I used it before I could use the autochannel. Signposting could probably be improved as could information from cabin crew to passengers, which never happens to my knowledge.

Immediately to the right of the autochannel in Arrivals Hall East are 4 to lanes for over 70s, disabled, etc. I think that passengers who have priority cards from the airlines can also use this location, as well as the Priority Lanes between East and West Arrivals.  

I have an APEC card that allows me to go through priority lanes in APEC countries. In Thailand I have been redirected to the Thai passport lanes and other lanes but no one has ever asked to see my APEC card when I have reached the counter. Now when I enter Thailand I just pick the shortest priority lane and go there. So far I have never had a problem.

I did once get an update to Business Class on Emirates - when they handed the landing cards (TM6) out, they also handed out a "VIP" card, which allowed me to use the VIP line at immigration.

On 05/05/2018 at 8:49 PM, Norbert Halfwit said:

Last two times I flew business. 1st time I was sent to the Thai channel but in October I was sent to a new VIP channel they had just opened up about 20 meters away

Your airline gives you a priority card to get through immigration.

Correct and you go through very fast, only had 3 people in font of me last entry in January.

Not exactly about this but I saw SG mentioned so.. when leaving SG you dont get an exit stamp anymore. Its all an automated gate you scan your passport in. Awesome but when entering Thailand the immigration guy wondered why I didnt have an SG exit stamp..heh

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

True, and folks who have PR but have not registered for the special card are encouraged to use the normal 'Thai Passport' line. Been doing this for years, many times standing in the 'Thai Passport' line  a cruising official has asked to see my documents, as soon as I show my PR book, an immedaite thank you and he moved on.

This is also my experience.I'm puzzled however by the reference to a special card.I thought there was just a small stamp in the passport of PRs who had registered for machine read entry.

2 hours ago, zib said:

Not exactly about this but I saw SG mentioned so.. when leaving SG you dont get an exit stamp anymore. Its all an automated gate you scan your passport in. Awesome but when entering Thailand the immigration guy wondered why I didnt have an SG exit stamp..heh

I left SG yesterday, got a stamp. Next time I'll look for the automatic gates.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

This is also my experience.I'm puzzled however by the reference to a special card.I thought there was just a small stamp in the passport of PRs who had registered for machine read entry.

They just put a small sticker in your passport which confirms you are allowed to use the automatic barriers (the sticker also has the expiry date as well).

On 5/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, Maestro said:

Are you saying that all business class travellers can go through the channel for Thai passport holders?

You get a VIP card for the VIP/ cabin crew channel.Or you can pay 20 quid for one.

10 hours ago, hobz said:

There used to be a queue where BOI work permit / visa holders were allowed. I used it once in DMK. Is that the same queue? Still there?

I am informed that BOI can use it but your need a letter from them which you must carry when you enter. I have seen the letter (of an extremely reliable person) but it does not seem to have any form number etc.

• Thanks 1

I just came in though SG. They just started using the self service gates in Terminal 2 and a lot of the passport scanners were malfunctioning. They had a couple of people there to reset them as needed. So it was a bit confusing for most people.

8 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I left SG yesterday, got a stamp. Next time I'll look for the automatic gates.

I love it. 10 seconds to clear immigration and then another 30 seconds to get a GST/VAT refund on another computer terminal. They know their shit.

5 hours ago, grin said:

I just came in though SG. They just started using the self service gates in Terminal 2 and a lot of the passport scanners were malfunctioning. They had a couple of people there to reset them as needed. So it was a bit confusing for most people.

heh. I guess not 100% perfect. But imagine Thailand having this. I don't get why they even need immigration officers for non visa-on-arrival people. If I have a passport with a valid visa that I got from a embassy or immigration office I assume there is a note of this in their computer system. Since I assume when the immigration officers check my visa they see it's valid.

So why can't it just be to scan the passport, get zero stamps, and then just walk along.

2 hours ago, zib said:

...I got from a embassy or immigration office I assume there is a note of this in their computer system...

I believe the visas do not show up on the immigration official's computer screen.

11 hours ago, zib said:

heh. I guess not 100% perfect. But imagine Thailand having this. I don't get why they even need immigration officers for non visa-on-arrival people. If I have a passport with a valid visa that I got from a embassy or immigration office I assume there is a note of this in their computer system. Since I assume when the immigration officers check my visa they see it's valid.

So why can't it just be to scan the passport, get zero stamps, and then just walk along.

By the way, the self service gates were for departure only. My arrival at terminal 2 was business as usual with IOs.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, helloagain said:

Stop bitching. Yes i follow my wife at the airports otherwise she is waiting for me. But at heathrow she follows me and comes through my section and she has a 10 year visa for uk, i thank uk and thailand for allowing both of us to do this. It helps. Get over it.

Take it you have not been through Terminal 5, there are no desks for UK/EU, only gates. All foreign passports and even UK that cannot use the gates have to use the foreign section. Last August I had to wait with my wife longer than I have ever had to wait in Thailand. There was such a backlog that they were cherry picking the queue based on impending departures and those with UK passports.

On 7/5/2561 at 11:06 AM, grin said:

I have an APEC card that allows me to go through priority lanes in APEC countries. In Thailand I have been redirected to the Thai passport lanes and other lanes but no one has ever asked to see my APEC card when I have reached the counter. Now when I enter Thailand I just pick the shortest priority lane and go there. So far I have never had a problem.

But if you didn't give them your APEC card, do they still give you 90 days?

On 5/7/2018 at 9:31 AM, thaiowl said:

Last month, I applied to use the automatic barriers (I have PR).You can register to use the automatic barriers at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang by completing an application form and supplying the following signed documents:

1. Copy of Passport (photograph page and current visa page)

2. Copy of Residence Book (pages 1-5 and current endorsement page)

3. Copy of Alien Book (relevant pages)

4. Copy of Tabien Baan

5. Copy (signed) of Reference’s ID card

On the application form, they require a “Reference in Kingdom”. I just used my wife’s details and brought along a signed copy of her Thai ID. You can only register at Suvarnabhumi when you are departing on an international flight. After passing through passport control, go to the main immigration desk with the application form and supporting documents. The immigration officer will process your application, put a small sticker in your passport saying you can use the automatic barriers, take your photo and fingerprints so the barrier can recognize you, and that’s it. The whole process took about 25 mins. Permission is granted for two years. This could be very useful given the huge queues that sometimes plague Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang.

It doesn't work at Don Muang, unfortunately.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:50 AM, digbeth said:

But if you didn't give them your APEC card, do they still give you 90 days?

I'm a US citizen and the US seems to be a limited member so the APEC card does not give me the 90 day visa free entry. However, I can use the card to expedite getting visas to APEC countries. The main benefit for me is that it allows me to use the diplomatic/crew lanes in member countries. My entries here in Thailand have been based on retirement extensions since I turned 50.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:06 AM, grin said:

At Suvarnabhumi you can use the Premium Lane which is a separate hall in between the 2 main immigration halls. Look for signs saying Thailand Elite or Diplomatic. There are rarely any queues there.

The signs at Thai airports always refer to the card as ABTC rather than APEC.

Premium.thumb.jpg.79ac01ed9050707b11e9c15e9ea8890b.jpg

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

At Suvarnabhumi you can use the Premium Lane which is a separate hall in between the 2 main immigration halls. Look for signs saying Thailand Elite or Diplomatic. There are rarely any queues there.

The signs at Thai airports always refer to the card as ABTC rather than APEC.

Good info on the Premium Lane, thanks. The sign in CNX arrivals has APEC. In case anyone is interested ABTC stands for APEC Business Travel Card. Sorry, did not intend to highjack this thread.