Network lauds decision to return Doi Suthep site to national park

webfact

So, the PM has stepped in and made a popular decision to halt this project and save the forest (for now anyway).

I'm starting to think it's just possible that there will be an election soon.

If he starts kissing babies instead of frogs that will confirm it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

This smells.

Yep this Is a load of shit,,The Hi So Judges can stop the building at ones they can Pay out the building contractors Fully out of their own pocket  Problem fixed ,than bulldoze the place Burn it to a crisp and turn it back into nature forest.:mfr_closed1:

13 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

Sometimes there is just no logic to anything. Given that the houses are virtually complete, it doesn't make any sense to demolish them. They have already done all the ecological damage and can't undo it as simply as that. It would make more sense if the Government were honest about this and then dedicated an area 4 X the size of this plot as a forestry area and planted it up to balance the damage done here and set new policies forbidding deforestation.

You're spot on there. Is that perhaps a definition of Thainess?

I'd agree with you regarding the damage already being done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

The fact that public funds are used to build exclusive accommodation across Thailand for court officials is the wider scandal here; don’t think it’s only Chiang Mai. These judges earn more than enough to rent their own accommodation, just as the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The damage is already done, trees felled that might take 50-60 years to grow back, and land cleared and drainage affected.  It will be an expensive restoration project and the government is unlikely to force the developer to pay for it.  The DNP has no teeth so if the land is passed to them, none of those houses will be demolished.  Rather there will be a compromise to let them stay and assess the situation, and a year from now, when all the dust has settled, people will quietly move into them, and they'll rename it a forest park.

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

Tell that the Thai's I know then. Total apologists for the government and deeply apathetic to the problems in the country. Sometimes I feel like I care more about their country than they do.

Funny you should say that.  I'm always telling my Mrs i care more about her country than what she does.   Most of them seem to live in their own little world and only care about themselves, couldn't care less about what happens outside of their little sphere !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

It sure does.

Why not get a mediator to decide how much to pay the builders to cancel the contract? Saves a lot of money and is less wasteful.

Or just return the bribes the builder paid to get the contract.

Or get the Ninth army to plant (accidentally) a teak sapling in front of each house door. That should do it.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Funny you should say that.  I'm always telling my Mrs i care more about her country than what she does.   Most of them seem to live in their own little world and only care about themselves, couldn't care less about what happens outside of their little sphere !

Nice. :) I've never actually said that myself but maybe it's time I start.

Although some damage has been done, the greatest would come not from building the houses but occupying them. Hundreds of people, their noise, trash, smoke, vehicles, dirty water, etc. Worse yet is the example to others that carving up sensitive ecosystems for human habitation is harmless. 

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Its a global problem.  You might as well be describing the average American.