Dowry?

Craigee34

4 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

so, when your turn comes dont forget to refuse the gift

That particular turn will never come my way - and please don’t be naive enough to think of it as a gift. Such transactions are only ever a realignment of family assets.

I bought land over 10 years ago for my partner - and built a house.

Edited by Jip99

12 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and I'm sure theyre very proud of their tight-fisted in laws! lol

Gee, are you grasping at straws; you do not know me and for you to suggest I am cheap only shows your mental misgivings. You think this is about money instead of principle? If that were the case, I would suggest a B300 sin sod and really insult everyone.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Gee, are you grasping at straws; you do not know me and for you to suggest I am cheap only shows your mental misgivings. You think this is about money instead of principle? If that were the case, I would suggest a B300 sin sod and really insult everyone.

I'm not interested in what you think its about. but I know what Thais think its about. Do your ears burn when theytalk about you when they think youre not looking?? lol

14 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and you will be in the same boat if all goes poorly

14 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and you will be in the same boat if all goes poorly

No.

It is a totally different boat.

1 hour ago, AYJAYDEE said:

you can keep your land?

Not my land.

(you really don’t understand, do you).

But I have lifetime use of it.?

Edited by Jip99

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not my land.

(you really don’t understand, do you).

But I have lifetime use of it.?

lol! of course you cant keep it and that puts you in the same boat as the sin sod guy.

Just now, AYJAYDEE said:

lol! of course you cant keep it and that puts you in the same boat as the sin sod guy.

Does the sinsod guy have rights of occupation over MIL’s land? (which is likely a crappy part of family land that has little third party value).

I didn’t think so.

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Does the sinsod guy have rights of occupation over MIL’s land? (which is likely a crappy part of family land that has little third party value).

I didn’t think so.

occupation!! lol! good luck with that. you wouldnt last a week

To me a reasonable amount of sinsot is a sign of commitment, nothing more nothing less.

I laugh at those who think of it as buying a wife, there is no man rich enough to afford the true value of my wife!!

We have the best parcel of land in the village donated by the mother - in - law on which we built a modest home for my family. (Wife and children)

I am not into ownership and certainly would not insult my wife by having a crappy usufruct :smile:

My MIL supports my wife she is the head of the family, having said that my wife runs all decisions by me.

As mentioned in the thread previously, not wise to try and force your will, better to suggest, and if your input is good and your wife is wise she will implement a little further down the line.

By way of example when we uplifted the land for our house I suggested to my wife we plant mango trees around the edge of the plot. I said no more, she did it, now years later the whole family benefits from a supply of mangoes from the 7 trees she planted.

This was the first step in my wife appreciating my input, but I also appreciate her input as she knows the Thai ways. We are a partnership, we share 'our' money.

I'm not concerned about dying a rich man I already have what money cannot buy.

Life is good.

• Like 1

I think those men who have married a Thai and moved on to another Thai woman have already proved that their decision making isn't very good. For them paying sin-sod is part of their bad decision making. For most of us who marry continue in the relationship through many problems. That doesn't mean we haven't sampled the other fruits of Thailand, but, the commitment we made to love and care for a partner for ever, is something we remind each other all the time when the pot is boiling. and a few days or longer and life continues. We don't pack up and leave. The grass isn't any greener, elsewhere as you will find when the green grass turns just as brown and worn after its been trampled on for a short while! Its stays greenish when you you give it time and care, plus the greener grass is just for laying on for a short while to be enjoyed now and then! 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 473geo said:

To me a reasonable amount of sinsot is a sign of commitment, nothing more nothing less.

I laugh at those who think of it as buying a wife, there is no man rich enough to afford the true value of my wife!!

We have the best parcel of land in the village donated by the mother - in - law on which we built a modest home for my family. (Wife and children)

I am not into ownership and certainly would not insult my wife by having a crappy usufruct :smile:

My MIL supports my wife she is the head of the family, having said that my wife runs all decisions by me.

As mentioned in the thread previously, not wise to try and force your will, better to suggest, and if your input is good and your wife is wise she will implement a little further down the line.

By way of example when we uplifted the land for our house I suggested to my wife we plant mango trees around the edge of the plot. I said no more, she did it, now years later the whole family benefits from a supply of mangoes from the 7 trees she planted.

This was the first step in my wife appreciating my input, but I also appreciate her input as she knows the Thai ways. We are a partnership, we share 'our' money.

I'm not concerned about dying a rich man I already have what money cannot buy.

Life is good.

But, but, but, doesn't that leave you with too little to whine about??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:
  59 minutes ago, 473geo said:

If you have to prove your commitment with this, then your word is not your bond, and is meaningless!  Prove your true commitment with a pre-nup!

Edited by torrzent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, torrzent said:

If you have to prove your commitment with this, then your word is not your bond, and is meaningless!  Prove your true commitment with a pre-nup!

when you regain your senses, perhaps you should address your post to the person that actually wrote that??

Edited by AYJAYDEE

Just now, AYJAYDEE said:

when you regain your senses, perhaps you should address your question to the person that actually wrote that??

I have always been in control of my senses, but it sounds like you are not in control of your dollars or "cents-es"

• Haha 1

Just now, torrzent said:

I have always been in control of my senses, but it sounds like you are not in control of your dollars or "cents-es"

and yet you post to me about something someone else wrote! some control! lol

Dowry or SinSod, Its the last big bar fine.

But paid to the parents not the bar, but unlike some bars, the parents wont give you your money back if it all goes wrong.

Also, like some bars, the girl gets a share of the barfine.