Buriram gears up for MotoGP 2018 on Oct 5-7

webfact

Buriram gears up for MotoGP 2018 on Oct 5-7

PNECO610507001001901_07052018_032405.jpg

BURIRAM, 8th May 2018 (NNT) - Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat has confirmed that Buriram province will host MotoGP 2018 from October 5th - 7th this year. 

Public and private agencies are collaborating to host the motorcycle racing event at the province's Chang International Circuit and ensure the stadium receives Grade A certification from the International Motorcycling Federation. The stadium is to undergo renovations, including pit lane expansions and adding stadium seating to accommodate over 50,000 viewers.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has also trained 500 police officers, military personnel, nurses, and students as language interpreters and will deploy them in many key locations. A shuttle service from the local airport and bus terminal will be available, while over 1,000 security officials will be deployed to safeguard the running of the competition. 

The event, which will be broadcast live to 207 countries around the world, is an opportunity to stimulate the local economy and elevate the image of Thailand as a prominent destination for motorsports competitions.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-05-08

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

im going in October they did not waste any time tripling the hotel prices for those 3 days.

Just sleep in Korat or Surin only 100 km away. ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

Just sleep in Korat or Surin only 100 km away. ?

Great Idea! Travelling 100 km go and back by public transportation, will take about 4-5 hours a day. Not many people willing to do that.
Renting a car and driving, or driving your own car will also create a cost that eats up much of what you think you will gain economically. As well as you will have to spend time driving about 3-4 hours a day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Great Idea! Travelling 100 km go and back by public transportation, will take about 4-5 hours a day. Not many people willing to do that.
Renting a car and driving, or driving your own car will also create a cost that eats up much of what you think you will gain economically. As well as you will have to spend time driving about 3-4 hours a day.

I think no room in moment any more to get in and around Buriram city anyway and surely I thought you will have your own transportation.

I was in Sepang Malaysia many times looking the Moto Gp since their first race 1998 0r 1999 ?

I prefered to stay in Kuala Lumpur about 65 km away an hours drive no problems and went with Bus or mostly Taxi.

Near the Circuit it was boring Hotel and surroundings and expensive most Hotels. 

?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat has confirmed that Buriram province will host MotoGP 2018 from October 5th - 7th this year

So if he just confirmed it, how come I bought my tickets back in January?

• Haha 1

The very second the dates of the Thai MotoGP got confirmed I tried to book a hotel/motel in Buriram.  After countless hits with "no rooms available" I could find 1 cheap motel at double the normal price.  That was November last year...  If you still need to find accomodation now, good luck with that!  A daily commute to Surin springs to mind...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris Renaix said:

It's privately owned by Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, the owner of (among others) ThaiBev (Chang).

Actually, the race track is part of a huge complex (football stadium, small night market, location of Amari hotel co-branded with Buriram United FC, food court, picnic areas, outdoor garden pavilions, and a mock-up of a part of Prasat Phanom Rung [famous Angkor/Khmer temple site in the province whose main stupa is in the logo for the soccer team]) owned by Newin Chidchob. Chang is just a major sponsor of both the soccer team and the racetrack.

As an aside, the football stadium used to be sponsored by iMobile and was referred to as "iMobile Stadium" even though Chang has been a big sponsor of the soccer team and their name figures prominently on the team's jersey. However, just a few months ago, they "went all in" and are now sponsors of the stadium, now officially called "Chang Arena".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, catman20 said:

im going in October they did not waste any time tripling the hotel prices for those 3 days.

Many place around, albeit now full, that were charging regular prices. 

I went to a resort, off the beaten track with no nightlife but good rooms and lovely scenery, only 7 kms from the track. Last few rooms gone in April. Late bookings probably because the resort is not on Agoda, Booking. com etc. Regular price 400 a night. MotoGP weekend, 400 a night. 

I have been told that Korat is still an option but Surin is booked up. NangRong, Prakhonchai etc too. Hard pushed to get a room within 55kms.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris Renaix said:

The very second the dates of the Thai MotoGP got confirmed I tried to book a hotel/motel in Buriram.  After countless hits with "no rooms available" I could find 1 cheap motel at double the normal price.  That was November last year...  If you still need to find accomodation now, good luck with that!  A daily commute to Surin springs to mind...

Yip exactly same thing I found. Not one place to stay apart from 60 plus km away !! :laugh:

But I guess the organizers may have booked them all in advance for the team crews etc. The riders will be in the best available im sure or will be flying to better hotels every day by chopper . 

• Like 2

On 08/05/2018 at 12:26 PM, fullcave said:

Looks like a major spending deficit, who owns the track? 

You so wrong-?

Since 3 years Chang Circuit hosts the World Superbike Championship WSBK with many people attanding.

In Februar was 3 days Moto Gp Testing - the venue was filled well - and that was no race day.

I was there ☺

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nahkit said:

So if he just confirmed it, how come I bought my tickets back in January?

What do politicians know. ?

Anyway you can confirm it more times no? ?

Has anyone here actually picked up their tickets ??

Wife went to bkk yesterday and asked in several outlets to collect tickets from and last one said they had not got them to hand out yet. This was despite the allticket site advertising around 30 places to collect them from.

She has the receipt from paying from 7-11 but that's it.