British woman seriously injured in Thailand taxi crash forced to pay £35,000 after wrongly believing she had travel insurance with bank

webfact

Woman seriously injured in Thailand taxi crash forced to pay £35,000 after wrongly believing she had travel insurance with bank

Travel agent Abbie Sontag, 28, from Harlow in Essex, has been forced to pay out £35,000 for medical care after the crash near Phuket

By Tommy Wathen & Tom Davidson Online Reporter

bw.jpg

Abbie Sontag and Pete Brudenell were just days into their holiday when the crash happened near Phuket (Image: Essex Live WS)

A travel agent has been left 'unable to move' after the taxi she and her partner were in was in a head-on smash with a lorry in Thailand.

Abbie Sontag, from Harlow, and her boyfriend Pete Brudenell had only been enjoying their holiday on the south-eastern Asian country for a matter of days when they were involved in a serious collision with a lorry.

The 28-year-old has had to pay out £35,000 as she is stuck in the Thailand hospital and cannot be transferred, reports EssexLive.

On a GoFundMe page it states that the travel agent thought she had insurance with her bank - but was wrong.

Full story: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-seriously-injured-thailand-taxi-12510606

-- Mirror 2018-05-10

This reminds me of another issue published here where a Thai insurance broker was boasting a coverage of 500'000 THB for inpatient treatment in a government hospital.

Another reason never to apparently contract any insurance in Thailand (or abroad) without looking at what amount is covered.

Hope the little hottie and anybody else injured recover fast and get out of this mess.  :welcomeani::WPFflags:

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Legal taxi's are yearly checked for legality of the car and insurance. I think the requirement is 5 mio minimum, not sure if that is per person or per accident.

Did she take a legal taxi though?

Therein lies the problem.  How would one ever know?

Best idea is to have solid insurance as backup then we never need worry.

49 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's old school. Who uses travel agents these days? I haven't gone near one since the 90's.

Well as she is a travel agent obviously people do still use them. I am like you, haven't used one since about 2002, and every time I buy a plane ticket two reminders come up to buy insurance before I pay. One would expect a travel agent to be on top of this. Hope they recover, but I won't be contributing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Well as she is a travel agent obviously people do still use them. I am like you, haven't used one since about 2002, and every time I buy a plane ticket two reminders come up to buy insurance before I pay. One would expect a travel agent to be on top of this. Hope they recover, but I won't be contributing.

I've never been offered a comprehensive travel insurance package when buying tickets with LCC's. I get them from an independent insurance broker.

We seem to be talking regularly about people/ tourists  not having Travel and Medical insurance when  visiting and travelling in Thailand

No doubt there will be more stories in the future same stuff

good job there is the Gofundme to help out 

3 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Hope they recover, but I won't be contributing.

I'll be honest, I have twice previously contributed to two seriously injured Brits involved in accidents in LOS who had no insurance, but I had to draw the line as it's never ending and I'll end up skint otherwise.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You are living in la-la land, nobody is Thai bashing.

You are dreaming, just trying your usual tripe that everything here is wonderful.

What about my accident? Pickup going the wrong way, but i am a farang so my fault, not 1 baht compensation.

At least quote the post you are responding to,

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Legal taxi's are yearly checked for legality of the car and insurance. I think the requirement is 5 mio minimum, not sure if that is per person or per accident.

Did she take a legal taxi though?

I saw that taxi once but it was a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Again you jumping in before reading everything, i posted further on about it.

Electric is having on off day here, on-off on -off, messing my computer up big time.

I saw you posted that, so your 'again' is not justified. So you expect readers to go back to the original post and your reply and understand what you're on about. In that case, better settle things via PM.

But if it is meant for the open forum, quoting the post you're reacting to really is easier.

Maybe we can get back on topic now?

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

You might have thought governments might like to step in extreme circumstances the Thai's should help out and repatriate this poor innocent girl to save loss of tourism face and the UK's to show the rich have a heart .get off your lazy <deleted> and get this girl home.  

Why?

• Like 2