British woman seriously injured in Thailand taxi crash forced to pay £35,000 after wrongly believing she had travel insurance with bank

webfact

4 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I'm struggling to understand why a lot of posters here think your insurance cover needs to cover incompetent taxi drivers?

The incompetent taxi driver should pay ?

Of course he should pay it, unfortunately he's not going to have any money beyond what he spends on beer and food for the next few days.

There should be public liability insurance for services like this. If it's not enforced then I would like to suggest that the government should be held accountable and made to pay.

When your insurance company does pay out they don't just leave it at that - they attempt to recover the money so any change will need to be driven by the insurance industry. They can make a lot of money on proper public liability insurance if it is mandatory.

• Like 1

In Australia when you pay your registration you also pay insurance to the Transport Accident Commission.  This premium is used for those injured in accidents covering medical bills and compensation for disabilities etc.  If a Thai Tourist is injured was travelling in a taxi in Melbourne she is covered.  If the vehicle is unregistered then the owner of that vehicle can be liable.  How hard would it be for Thailand to also have such a system?

On 5/10/2018 at 6:44 PM, Expatthailover said:

Public service vehicle..oh please

Lets all embellish and twist the words so as to turn another sad story into another a thai bashing exercise. 

I really do despair at the mindset of many ( not all ) on here.

How many of us on here have got on the back of a 'public service ' motorbike taxi?

How do we know he has insurance?

We wouldnt understand the documents in any case.

Imagine trying to sue.

There's a reason everything is so cheap.

But you expect switzerland on the cheap

Then again the tone of your post strongly suggests you could never be content.

This woman clearly didnt do her homework.

She has had a tragic and costly accident. You seem hellbent on twisting this so that the thais are portrayed as bad guys.

With a handle like, I'm not surprised with this type of post.

In Australia when you pay your registration you also pay insurance to the Transport Accident Commission.  This premium is used for those injured in accidents covering medical bills and compensation for disabilities etc.  If a Thai Tourist is injured was travelling in a taxi in Melbourne she is covered.  If the vehicle is unregistered then the owner of that vehicle can be liable.  How hard would it be for Thailand to also have such a system?

What difference does it make if the vehicle owner is liable if they have no money?

Where does it say in the article that it was a bonafide taxi?

56 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What difference does it make if the vehicle owner is liable if they have no money?

Where does it say in the article that it was a bonafide taxi?

I'm referring to all vehicles that are used on the roads not just bona fide taxis.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:52 PM, Bantex said:

Another GoFundMe beggar trying to live on the cheap and not willing to take responsibility for themselves. I just checked their GoFundMe page and of the £35,000 asked for £32,725 was raised in one day. She is a travel agent and should know better. If she thought she had insurance through her bank then its obvious that she didn’t read the policy details.

I have a credit card that gives Travel insurance but I checked the cover it offered and I decided it was grossly inadequate and took out annual travel insurance with the cover I needed.

so called bank insurance is probably a credit card deal. if you read what insurance it cover you find its stuff like cancelled plane flights or loss of luggage.

nothing else.

another scam as with most insurance.

most likely,

after all exceptions this incident they WILL pay:

if you bitten by Unicorn while ice skating in Sahara desert

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Why did she NOT check every single accident before coming to Thailand?  In fact, her Taxi forced me to be 11 minutes late for my appointment, and I have sued her for 11,984,345 baht.  I will start a GoFundMe soon.  Even when she was in the hospital, I slipped outside her door and I will give her the bill soon.

Let me get this straight....she wasn't driving, in a taxi, and has to pay???!??!?!!???!?!?!!?!?!

I do ride a bicycle and joke that when I get run over I will get a bill for scratching their truck.   

It is true, we are not surprised, but yet we stay.  So, carry on....

• Sad 1

If I was an insurer I would not be too happy about paying for something which someone else is liable.

There should be government warnings in place about going to countries like Thailand. Insure yourself to the eyeballs because the local population are often not insured and even on licensed public transport there is no recourse. You will either be left to die or with a large bill to pay.

If I was an insurer I would not be too happy about paying for something which someone else is liable.

There should be government warnings in place about going to countries like Thailand. Insure yourself to the eyeballs because the local population are often not insured and even on licensed public transport there is no recourse. You will either be left to die or with a large bill to pay.

Stop with the drama. No one was left to die, they were taken directly to a hospital and treated.

That they (apparently) have no money is an issue.

If they weren’t broke (skint?) the would just pay the bill and fight it out with the insurance company.
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 7:05 AM, BEVUP said:

No it shouldn't , she should be making a police report due to negligance & taxi driver failing to comply vvith gov regulations that cover public vehicle 

If it vvas a legal taxi vvithout the correct Ins. the Government should be picking up the tab

It seems to be most of the time - Oh sorry no full ins (vvont cover ) or Have no money

It,s a shame their legal system is takes so long on Civil matters 

They should be Sued & be held accountable, but TIT & it seems if any one holds 1 st class ins they vvill be paying

Yes what happens now is the drivers go off the radar for as long as it takes to get her out of the country and it's all forgotten about.i think they call it thainess.spineless people who wriggle out of responsibility.

15 minutes ago, fanjita said:

I notice the go fund me page has suddenly increased to 45k.  Not surprising really.  

Well let's hope the excess is used to sue the taxi driver. Hopefully, a good lawyer can make a fist of it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Well let's hope the excess is used to sue the taxi driver. Hopefully, a good lawyer can make a fist of it.

I think the next thing on the list is hovv is she going to get home ( can she even sit in a plane chair all the vvay to England ), it vvould be good to be able to do the above just to shovv that they have to pay 

PS: May need first class non stop for the stretched out seat at least 

Edited by BEVUP

On 11/05/2018 at 9:12 AM, Russell17au said:

There are a lot of comments been made on this thread that the young lady should have checked her insurance and that her being a travel agent she should have known better. 

It was stated as insurance from her bank. Which, if like my bank in the UK, they give you free travel insurance on certain accounts. But they only cover you for a week or two in Europe. As someone in the business of selling both travel and insurance she should have known this. If she didn't I suggest people wanting a holiday steer well clear of her because she has no more knowledge than your average Joe in the street.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was stated as insurance from her bank. Which, if like my bank in the UK, they give you free travel insurance on certain accounts. But they only cover you for a week or two in Europe. As someone in the business of selling both travel and insurance she should have known this. If she didn't I suggest people wanting a holiday steer well clear of her because she has no more knowledge than your average Joe in the street.

In much the same way your credit card provides rental car insurance...

On 5/13/2018 at 12:26 AM, TheLobster said:

I'm struggling to understand why a lot of posters here think your insurance cover needs to cover incompetent taxi drivers?

The incompetent taxi driver should pay ?

On 5/13/2018 at 12:32 AM, Grauwulf said:

Yup agree if you were anywhere in the western world but this is Asia....how many are legally,fully insured taxi drivers...or just guys trying to make a buck....

On 5/13/2018 at 5:06 AM, ukrules said:

Of course he should pay it, unfortunately he's not going to have any money beyond what he spends on beer and food for the next few days.

There should be public liability insurance for services like this. If it's not enforced then I would like to suggest that the government should be held accountable and made to pay.

When your insurance company does pay out they don't just leave it at that - they attempt to recover the money so any change will need to be driven by the insurance industry. They can make a lot of money on proper public liability insurance if it is mandatory.

We all know how it is here and seemingly accept it. Thailand has millions of tourists, they all should be able to get in to a licensed taxi without the need for insurance to cover their trip in that taxi or worrying about being ripped off.

• Like 1

All this talk, she is in hospital or was, and the fault lies with the driver or drivers, if not insured which is unlikely, they have to have minimum 3rd party which covers up to 5 million. If they haven't the police will take their vehicles/homes and sell them to recover costs. The one thing overlooked is lying on her hospital bed. She managed to arrange a 'Go fund me page'. unlike what I hear about US hospitals, she is being treated and cared by the hospital, so it must be that they have already been assured by the insurance that costs are going to be covered! If I were the insurance companies and found that you had started  such a deal, I wouldn't pay, has it would seem that some form of deception was occurring.