Police extortion or illegal motorcycle activity? Thais discuss "YouLike" clip

webfact

Police extortion or illegal motorcycle activity? Thais discuss "YouLike" clip

3pm.jpg

video screenshot

A video clip posted on the YouLike site on Facebook showed a police officer upended as he attempted to make a stop of two people on a motorcycle at an intersection.

It appeared to have happened on Thursday morning at an undisclosed location.

Comment was widespread on the nature of what was happening in the clip with both the policeman and the motorcyclist having supporters.

The burning questions on most people's lips were these:

Was this just another roadside extortion attempt? Or a genuine stop for illegal activity?

And:

Would any fines garnered in such a circumstance go into state coffers.....or the pocket of the cop?

Source: YouLike

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-11

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Would any fines garnered in such a circumstance go into state coffers.....or the pocket of the cop?

That's a tough question, requires some thought.....give me a nano second!

as all the all traffic was stopped i would say a check for drugs was the reason , if they weren't carrying anything why else would they do a runner knocking the officer to the ground 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keith101 said:

as all the all traffic was stopped i would say a check for drugs was the reason , if they weren't carrying anything why else would they do a runner knocking the officer to the ground 

.....maybe just showing the contempt they have for the police force.

• Like 2

No helmet on the pillion passenger would be a good reason to be attempting to stop the rider, around a school zone no doubt.

Regardless of all the jokes, the questions should now be focused on Pattaya and the police force coming down on farang motorcycle riders being checked for having the correct licence, i.e. international driving/riding permit along with licence and passport or a 1,000 baht fine and confiscation of rental bike where the owner will have to pick it up and pay a 2,000 baht fine, easy targets I say, and will this extend to the Thai's, or are they immune from this ?

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good move, revenue raising regardless, but stamping out the unnecessary potential road accidents that we all hear to often, and clamping down on motorcycle hires to check before they rent their scooters out, long overdue !!!   

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

The problem is the Thai's Riding and Driving, not the Tourists or Ex-pats.

The latest from the BIB in Pattaya. is just them trying the old Jedi mind trick on people.

Convincing people the bad guys are the tourist,  and they cause all the accidents in pattaya.

is BS. also a massive spoonful of xenophobia by them. whilst collecting money for the coffers, if they just went after the motor cycle hire boys, i would agree, but they wont do that.

Don't be fooled.

As this above clip shows,  just what the average Somchai thinks of the cops, rules and regulations of Thailand. 

The tourists are not the bad guys. 

Just to clear things up, I wasn't implying that the foreign tourists are the bad guys.

I merely made a comment, that if the cops are going to pull over motorcycle foreign riders and check on their licences and then fine them if they don't have the appropriate licence, then good, but it also has to be done to Thai's as well, anything to reduce the road toll is a plus. Not forgetting how many tourist's come here, rent a motorbike/scooter without the hiring outlet/shop checking, later these tourists having an accident and finding out that their travel insurance, for those that took out cover, are not covered because of the fine print.

If it were up to me, not only would the outlet have to check that the intending tourist had a licence with international driving/riding permit and that insurance was provided by the outlet, at a cost of course, as I am sick and tired of hearing that another tourist has ended up in hospital and his/her insurance won't cover them because of the fine print. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Darcula said:

Those could be trick questions, but I'm going with "all of the above".

There is no "state coffers". It sometimes goes to the officer stopping the vehicle or the police station in the area. If you notice ,at the first and the last days of the month there are more police activity with major lane blocking ,etc.That is when apparently that the top police at the station receive their large bonuses for the month.

A post in which the quoted content was altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.